• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I just found out that New Britain CT Prohibits

I just found out the New Britain Ct prohibits the carrying of a Concealed weapon, Including handguns, and makes no exemptions for anyone with a permit to carry his/her handgun.

the Ref: statute is NB City Ord. 16-80

How can this be Legal? Does anyone that lives in New Britain please comment on this subject? Will New Britain allow some one to get a Permit to carry a Pistol ?

Please respond ASAP Thanks to all.

Check out New Britain City ordnance 16-80 it is on the web. and the CCDL Connecticut Citizens Defense League has a page on this. at www.ccdl.us but also check out the city's laws.

Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons.

(a) No person shall wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly
or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol, dagger, metal knuckles,
razor, slingshot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not
apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon
his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to
another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and
peaceably engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode
or business to a place or person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be
repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business
with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

Crap, I often travel to New Britain to purchase food so apparently I've broken this law more times than I can count. Based on this, I may have to stop going. This sucks!

I too do not understand how this can be legal.

Post a sign at the border to warn people and tell them to take their business elsewhere. As if any city in this state needs help in circling the drain.

This is the next big challange, folks. Heller and McDonald proved out that the right to KEEP Arms applies to the individual. Now its time for SCOTUS to prove out the BEAR Arms portion also belongs to individuals. This would be a great place to start...

I realize this is an old thread, but according to CCDL, New London also prohibits concealed carrying of firearms per NL City Or. 14-11..

Last edited:
Just open carry. Problem solved.

I grew up in NL, 20+ years there. It would be a bad idea to not be carrying while there. Lots of drugs there now, not the Pfizer kind either....

What's the penalty? It's possible it's so weak that nobody cares about it, or it's also possible these ordinances themselves are illegal, if CT has preemption in place.... so from a functional standpoint, it might only mean window dressing and the police might act like jerkwads... There might even be case law in place that makes them functionally invalid.

-Mike

time for someone to file a suit?
In Googling it doesn't appear that Connecticut has "preemption" of local towns firearms laws. As such suing and winning is probably a long shot. Would be interesting though to see what would happen if someone did. Especially after the DPS, both last year and this year, wanting to outlaw Open Carry.

What's the penalty? It's possible it's so weak that nobody cares about it, or it's also possible these ordinances themselves are illegal, if CT has preemption in place.... so from a functional standpoint, it might only mean window dressing and the police might act like jerkwads... There might even be case law in place that makes them functionally invalid.

-Mike
Good question. Don't know of New Britain has one. If they don't they could always fall back on the state statute Sec. 29-37. Penalties which details the punishment for violating Sec. 29-28 in which part E says you cannot carry in any premises where by carry is prohibited by law or by premises owner or person who exercises control over the premises.

CT has Judicial Preemption..If the law comes into "direct conflict" with state law it's void. NB's ordinance would never survive in court...hence why it's never been used to my knowledge...

The obvious intent of the Legislature in making a "Permit to Carry" was so people could carry handguns...

Ignore it. If you carry concealed nobody will know.
If you carry openly, you won't be breaking their stupid little law.

Question- Have any permit holders ever been prosecuted under this law?
I've never heard of any.

p.s. I'm not in any way offering legal advice, but thats what I do. Its a fundamental question. What do you do when an unethical law infringes on your most basic right to self defense?

Last edited:
I believe CT's Judical Preemtion would kick in for this...It was the intent of Leglislature that people with permits be allowed to carry throughout the state....therefore this law is void..in my opinion

Your opinion, my opinion. Whats amazing is that this law never seems to have actually been tested. Nobody's stepped forward with any knowledge of a permit holder ever being arrested in NB for carrying concealed.

I consider that to be significant.

I just floated the same question over at opencarry.org's CT forum. There are a couple of very sharp rights activists on that forum. I'm hoping they will contribute:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ncealed-in-New-Britain.&p=1424257#post1424257

Don

Last edited:
Got an answer on this. I talked to the Detective who processes the permits in New Britain and he told me state law supersedes town ordinance, and they do not enforce it. He also wasn't aware of any case law brought from New Britain either. Plain and simple I'd say.

Ken

xtry - that contributes nothing to the conversation. Lets try and keep it respectful, please.

ctsupra

Thanks for the info. There are a lot of people in this state who like me, choose to carry concealed, but support others' right to carry openly.

Either way this is good info.

In the future, whenever you speak with a LEO for something like this, try to get their full name, and note the date and time of the conversation. Finally, try to get them to send you an email stating what you spoke about. (thats usually a non-starter, but its worth a try)

Don

p.s. the open carry movement in CT has benefitted me greatly. I used to feel that I needed to conceal 100% effectively. I could never find a comfortable holster for my larger guns that concealed well.

So I tended to only carry small caliber, low capacity guns.

Thanks to the OC movement in the state and folks like Ed Peruta, I do what I call "casual carry". If I carry my lightweight 1911 or Glock 34, I don't worry abot a couple of inches hanging below my shirt or jacket, and I completely ignore the very obvious bulge on my waist when my jacket comes off.

Amazingly, nobody has ever commented. Its a revelation how most people walk around in the fog.

If anyone wants to educate themselves about the Open Carry movement in CT, just go to opencarry.org and go to the CT forum.

Last edited:
New Britain and he told me state law supersedes town ordinance

I'd like to think this kind of knowledge was common and you guys were just beating a dead horse but apparently I was wrong. I was being a smart ass because this topic has been brought up before.

I've got you. I just never knew any NB PD went on record as saying they didn't enforce it .

like I asked a few posts above, I was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge of an otherwise law abiding citizen being arrested under this ordinance.

I'm starting to think not.

Although its been beaten, nobody has ever answered my question.

Either way, what I like about this board compared to stuff like AR15.com is that its civilized.

Don

Back
Top Bottom