• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I just can't even.....

I seriously have nearly no words.

So before I left for work last week I assembled my lower. The last thing to go was the trigger guard. So I got a punch and a hammer and started tapping it in. It seemed like it needed more force than usual, and eventually got stuck. It looked like the pin was getting a little banged up so I decided to pop it out and try again. I ran out of time and this afternoon I just went back to finish it. I flipped over the lower and using a little bit of force proceeded to start tapping it out. Well that's not what happened. This is what happened:

The tab holding the pin in snapped off completely, effectively destroying the lower. The lower, which has already been registered and engraved for my SBR. I'm seriously beside myself. I don't know if I can email the atf to change the lower s/n on my form 1 or if I have to file a third time... I also have to order a new lower... FML.

That is why I like to squeeze them in with a pair of parallel jaw pliers. If you are driving it in you need to be sure it is well supported. If you used that roll of tape for support that was your problem. You can probably have it welded but it may be costly. Pullman arms does this type of work.

Yeah, it's totally my fault. I did my last trigger guard like that and it went in just fine, so I wasn't expecting a problem. The aim was to try a different method after getting the old one out. I just sent an email to the atf faq link, so we'll see what they say.

[rofl2]

Haven't you seen the bazillion threads telling you to use a pair of vice grips for that pin (and a couple of others too)?? Especially when you're working on the trigger guard, where it's easy to snap the tab off (as you found out).

You might be able to go with one of the pistol grips that has the trigger guard integrated into it.

I don't use pin punches for the trigger guard, bolt catch or gas block (to install the pin). Vice grips with tape on the jaws makes it stupid easy (and safe).

[rofl2]

Haven't you seen the bazillion threads telling you to use a pair of vice grips for that pin (and a couple of others too)?? Especially when you're working on the trigger guard, where it's easy to snap the tab off (as you found out).

You might be able to go with one of the pistol grips that has the trigger guard integrated into it.

I don't use pin punches for the trigger guard, bolt catch or gas block (to install the pin). Vice grips with tape on the jaws makes it stupid easy (and safe).

and file down or crimp the leading edge of the pin a bit to make it easier to start....a couple of good youtube videos are out there to take you through the process. that's what I did when I built mine. It was my first build so it took me some time but i thought the info. was very helpful.

and file down or crimp the leading edge of the pin a bit to make it easier to start....a couple of good youtube videos are out there to take you through the process. that's what I did when I built mine. It was my first build so it took me some time but i thought the info. was very helpful.

I only watched one video on putting an AR lower together, and found it was worthless. I really only needed some info from one other site (ar15.com I think) and then read a few threads here about using vice grips. I've helped others put their LPK's in, as well as done mine without breaking anything. [smile]

I would call Pullman, they do amazing work. i have seen some stuff they have repaired and it was invisible. They do all types of Micro welding and they are supposed to be the best around.

I would bring it to Pullman Arms in Worcester, they are also a micro welding shop. Bet the could fix it. Worth a try at least!

I don't particularly flip over these things, but if I busted a registered lower, I would have ordered one by now.

Someday, when I actually have the opportunity to run my rifle hard, I may find I hate it, but at the moment, with my current level of Mall-ninja operatorness, it works well.

Main thing is to put some thing hard on the underside.
I don't even use a roll pin punch . I just hold it with tweezers and tap on it to start the switch to a brass punch .

Getting it out you'll need a block with a hole in it or soft wood .

Curious how much a weld would be, let us know when you get a quote.
I'd probably just get a grip with a trigger guard built in.
Or use a new lower, You can probably pick one up for under $70.

- - - Updated - - -

What did you email the ATF for?

The lower, which has already been registered and engraved for my SBR.

Curious how much a weld would be, let us know when you get a quote.
I'd probably just get a grip with a trigger guard built in.
Or use a new lower, You can probably pick one up for under $70.

What did you email the ATF for?

OP you are not the first person to do and won't be the last. HERE is a thread where someone broke theirs just like you did and they repaired it with JB Weld. Good luck.

OP you are not the first person to do and won't be the last. HERE is a thread where someone broke theirs just like you did and they repaired it with JB Weld. Good luck.

That's a great find. Thanks dude.

I have a stark grip on order, but I don't really love it. I'll see how it looks when it gets here and then decide what to do. If it was any other build, I'd just get a new lower and destroy this one. The complicating factor is that it's been registered on my form 1, and I have bunch of parts inbound to finish the build. I could always just cut my losses and do some returns and start over with a 14.5, but I really don't want to quit on it. I only emailed the faq link to ask them if I could just assign a different serial number to the same application, kinda like changing calibers or other characteristics of the gun. I'm assuming that I cant, but I figured there wasn't any harm in asking.

or just buy a billet lower with the trigger guard already done. That stupid piece is one of the worst parts of the original design.

or just buy a billet lower with the trigger guard already done. That stupid piece is one of the worst parts of the original design.

For three times the cost? Umm why? That pin is stupid easy to put in without breaking or scratching anything.

Back
Top Bottom