• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have an AK and want to upgrade the Stock

I have a Rifle not sure if it is a ak47 / ak74 etc.

The brand is Nodak Spud

Need some help identifying it so I can buy a new Stock to replace the ugly plastic.

Any input would be great!

Here are the photos

Attachments

• 20210117_214922.jpg
    20210117_214922.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210117_215028.jpg
    20210117_215028.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
It's an AKM ("AK47"); the curved magazine shows it's a 7.62x39 and not 5.45 or 5.56.

I think Nodak only makes stamped receivers so any AKM pattern furniture should work. Nodak makes receivers, I don't think they actually do builds so someone would have have assembled it using one of their receivers. Nodak receivers are popular along with Morrissey, Recreator, and Childers.
The pistol grip and muzzle device makes me think it's an AMD-65 (Hungarian) parts kit.
AMD-65s have different front ends, that one has obviously been Magpul'd or whatever. AMD-65s traditionally have a wire stock as well.
That said, basically any non-Yugo, stamped furniture should work...so the most widely available stuff, in other words.

For AK furniture there's really four "buckets" - stamped, milled, Yugo, and slant cut receivers. Yours is straight cut, not Yugo, and stamped.

So any furniture made for a stamped non-Yugo AK with a straight cut receiver is good to go.

Last edited:
It's an AKM ("AK47"); the curved magazine shows it's a 7.62x39 and not 5.45 or 5.56.

I think Nodak only makes stamped receivers so any AKM pattern furniture should work. Nodak makes receivers, I don't think they actually do builds so someone would have have assembled it using one of their receivers. Nodak receivers are popular along with Morrissey, Recreator, and Childers.
The pistol grip and muzzle device makes me think it's an AMD-65 (Hungarian) parts kit.
AMD-65s have different front ends, that one has obviously been Magpul'd or whatever. AMD-65s traditionally have a wire stock as well.
That said, basically any non-Yugo, stamped furniture should work...so the most widely available stuff, in other words.

For AK furniture there's really four "buckets" - stamped, milled, Yugo, and slant cut receivers. Yours is straight cut, not Yugo, and stamped.

So any furniture made for a stamped non-Yugo AK with a straight cut receiver is good to go.
Amazing how some of you guys know so much about these guns. Very impressive, thank you sir!

Ironwood does have a good rep. In terms of choices it depends on if you're looking for wood/bakelite/polymer, surplus or new, US-made for 922r, etc.

Lots to choose from.

Ohh, crud, I didn't look closely enough at the photos, @paulleve is correct, there's a folder on there.
Looks like the trunnion now that I look closely is different.
Dang.
Egg on my face for not more closely examining the photos, sorry.

Have you tried unscrewing all those Phillips screws?

Might be a nice wire folder under there. Kinda like tearing up the wall-to-wall carpets and finding perfect hardwood floors underneath...

Plus, you'll always have the cover if you wand the girth...
1610991928809.png

There's a lot wrong with that "thing" that's on there right now.

At the very least, OP, expose the proper wire stock. I'm not knowledgeable about which wooden stock will fit there. Ironwood does beautiful work, but the price is high.

Okay. So in the last hour. I've made incredible progress with everyone's help. Thank you.

For the record. I will not be putting plastic back on this rifle.

@enbloc amazing detective work finding that image and link!

Thank you to everyone else too.

Last edited:
It's probably a shell over the traditional AMD-65 stock, which looks like this:
View attachment 437704

Unfortunately, there's limits options as it's a unique configuration.

I am so satisfied with this wire stock. I'm actually thinking of leaving the gun alone.
I have to admit that plastic was so cheap and ugly. Haha.

People bend over backwards to change out their trunnions to have what you have. My worthless vote is "Leave it & Love it!"

People bend over backwards to change out their trunnions to have what you have. My worthless vote is "Leave it & Love it!"
I'm gonna keep this wire rod. I'm gonna take the tape off now... clean it up.

It looks so good. Funny the PDF you found also had the little roll of tape ( ensure a tight fit) reduce vibration

It looks so good. Funny the PDF you found also had the little roll of tape ( ensure a tight fit) reduce vibration
Hell, if you don't ever want the stock cover back on, you could probably sell it to someone who does for $60-$70 bucks...

It's probably a shell over the traditional AMD-65 stock, which looks like this:
View attachment 437704

Unfortunately, there's limits options as it's a unique configuration.

Someone before OP Tapcode the f*** out of that.
I always liked the look of the AMD65.
It's evil looking and a departure from a traditional AK.
Personally, I'd remove all the other add on crap and restore it
to the way it should be.

jeese bud, why don't you learn a bit about your rifle before you make it pretty? no clue what caliber? i'd be trying to find that out first thing. sorry if i sound harsh, i'm old school.

jeese bud, why don't you learn a bit about your rifle before you make it pretty? no clue what caliber? i'd be trying to find that out first thing. sorry if i sound harsh, i'm old school.
I got the rifle 5 days ago and its my first Ak someone gave it to me in trade. I was first trying to do research but I didn't know if what I had was an ak47 or ak74 . I had no.idea and then people were asking questions I didn't know the answer to. Just didn't want to have cheap looking plastic. I know alot more about ar's.

Yep...old skool. [rofl2]

1610995702605.png

watch out for the 2 mr. @enbloc's. and my new years resolution says i can't bust the new guys anymore...so welcome.

Last edited:

Enjoy it! AMD-65s were, if I recall, tweaked for paratroopers, hence the more compact configuation. The AMD-63 is similar but with a fixed stock:
1610996577628.png

The AK-63 (different rifle) is the current standard, although I think they are changing it as well.
1610996656045.png

The world of AKs is wonderful and diverse.

Enjoy it! AMD-65s were, if I recall, tweaked for paratroopers, hence the more compact configuation. The AMD-63 is similar but with a fixed stock:
View attachment 437736

The AK-63 (different rifle) is the current standard, although I think they are changing it as well.
View attachment 437737

The world of AKs is wonderful and diverse.
Pretty cool to know the back story, of this gun. Can't wait to take her to the range, hope she likes steel ammo! lol

Back
Top Bottom