• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I have a M&P 9c but also have an itch to add a M&P full size or Shield

Hi,
I am looking for any suggestions or things that I might be overlooking between the M&P models. I have recently decided I only want 9mm so I sold my G27. I wanted to take some funds and get a shield or full size M&P. I have extended mags on my 9c so I sort of already have a full size. I am large enough that I can easily carry the 9c so will I notice a large difference carrying the shield. Maybe I should save my money and get neither! I guess my primary focus would be a full size gun for range and home protection. I also entertained the idea od just getting another 9c.

Any valid input appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
I am looking for any suggestions or things that I might be overlooking between the M&P models. I have recently decided I only want 9mm so I sold my G27. I wanted to take some funds and get a shield or full size M&P. I have extended mags on my 9c so I sort of already have a full size. I am large enough that I can easily carry the 9c so will I notice a large difference carrying the shield. Maybe I should save my money and get neither! I guess my primary focus would be a full size gun for range and home protection. I also entertained the idea od just getting another 9c.

Any valid input appreciated.
Thanks

Just because you have an extended mag does NOT mean you basically have a full size. Yeah the round count may be the same but that is all. Larger frame gives you better grip and contact with the gun and more weight means better recoil control. Longer barrel gives you more velocity so more ballistic energy on target as well as less bullet drop over distance so increased accuracy. Also a longer sight radius provides better accuracy. If your statement were true why would manufacturers make full size frames?!?

Point taken. I was more referring to the full size grip to control recoil and shoot more comfortably. I agree the weight and barrel length etc will all
add value.

Point taken. I was more referring to the full size grip to control recoil and shoot more comfortably. I agree the weight and barrel length etc will all
add value.

Shooting small handguns for the most part sucks compared to a full size gun. Yes the compacts have their place for concealed carry. Want a home defense / shtf personal close contact defense/ plate shoot/ fun range gun get a full size.

Solid advice. Thanks for the input now I am leaning towards the full size.

I will admit I had to google that! I have heard of the pro series but never CORE. That thing is sweet! Do you know of any shops in the Boston area that sell those or is it a buy online and send to an FFL type purchase? Thanks

given the price and quality of the canik TP9SF, I have no use for the M&P line of pistols. their stock triggers are awful. the gen1 models have poor grip texture. sure the 2.0's texture is improved but too little too late. by the time the cost of apex upgrades are factored in, one could have purchased an HK VP9 or Sig P320 (both of which are far superior). I do have to give credit to the M&P's for being reliable, at least so long as they're dry.

i'm sure all the S&W fanboys will be upset to hear me say this. i sold off every M&P I've owned and not looking to acquire any more. if you're unfamiliar with the canik TP9SF, check it out. I acquired mine for $320 shipped. shoots very well. top notch quality. otherwise look into the VP9 or P320. the P320 mops the floor with an M&P.

Last edited:
There's an M&P Pro in the classifieds here. Nice setup for target shooting, with a much improved trigger action over a stock MA trigger action, and a fiber optic front sight.

the pro and core are the only full sized m&p's i'd consider. just can't warm up to the line otherwise. i picked up a "full size" m&p .22 a few years back, like that alright but really like the compacts, have 1 each in 9 & .40. super pistols for the money. dropped a .357 sig barrel in the .40 and that's how i run that now. the grip is mostly the issue for me on the big guys but other than that they seem mechanically sound. lot of people running them successfully. i've watched a guy at harvard pounding the hell out of the dueling tree and plate rack with his 9mm, he's something to watch, him and that m&p are one unit.

I suggest getting a good used pump shotgun.

[rofl]

(C'mon. There's always one guy that just totally ignores the question!)

If you want a full size and already have mags that will fit, then go ahead and get the full size... but get either the pro or the CORE.

As for the shield... it is much easier to carry concealed than the 9c. Much easier, but if that's not your priority, then skip it.

I like the shotgun vote! Made me chuckle. I have an 870 but it has the long barrell and is the cheap synthetic etc. I am looking for an 18.5 barrell as well for that so it can be multi purpose. i will check out the Sig and VP9. I did shoot a Sig 229 and like it as much as my full size XDM or more. Thanks for all the advice. Please keep it coming

For me comfort is a priority. The gun needs to just fit naturally in your hand when you need it to. The M&P9 I had was a good shooter, never a glitch but I couldn't get it to feel exactly right in my hand. You need to try all 3 backstraps to see which feels the best. It takes time to really feel the difference between them. To me the Shield has a great comfort grip.

I scratched the itch. Just picked up a VP9 gently used for a great price. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I wont be able to shoot it until tomorrow but seems very high quality with a great trigger.

5170496778610d852f24221e44ccc416.jpg

You did the right thing, and will not be disappointed.

Congrats on the pickup

I scratched the itch. Just picked up a VP9 gently used for a great price. Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I wont be able to shoot it until tomorrow but seems very high quality with a great trigger.

5170496778610d852f24221e44ccc416.jpg

Nice choice getting the VP9

I too have an M&P9c. My other handguns are a .357 revolver, and a .45acp 1911. If/when I get another handgun, it'd likely also be a full-size 9mm. I toyed with the DA/SA (i.e. Sig 226 or Beretta 92FS).

But in all honesty, I'd probably get the new M&P M2.0 in FDE: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20

Last edited:
given the price and quality of the canik TP9SF, I have no use for the M&P line of pistols. their stock triggers are awful. the gen1 models have poor grip texture. sure the 2.0's texture is improved but too little too late. by the time the cost of apex upgrades are factored in, one could have purchased an HK VP9 or Sig P320 (both of which are far superior). I do have to give credit to the M&P's for being reliable, at least so long as they're dry.

i'm sure all the S&W fanboys will be upset to hear me say this. i sold off every M&P I've owned and not looking to acquire any more. if you're unfamiliar with the canik TP9SF, check it out. I acquired mine for $320 shipped. shoots very well. top notch quality. otherwise look into the VP9 or P320. the P320 mops the floor with an M&P.

I have the VP9 - outstanding gun, I'm not a fan of ultra compacts and prefer full size myself. Can't go wrong with the P320 either - that'll be my next gun.

Back
Top Bottom