1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

I Hate Some of My Customers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Broccoli Iglesias, Aug 16, 2019.

1. capewalk

capewalk NES Member

I had a similar situation as well. I'd quote clean up and weekly service only to be told that the local high school kid would do it for significantly less. On nearly every occasion I'd get approached when the high school kid stopped showing up. Almost always the lawn was overgrown and or the clean up never really got completed. In most cases I was unable to take on more work being only part time. In the cases where I was able to take on the work the quote would be close to the original one. I'd get told well some of the clean up part is done why is the quote so high? It's because your lawn hasn't been cut in somewhere near a month and now I can't just cut it with a lawn mower. So in the end they ended up spending about the same amount of money but had a crappy looking yard for a period of time. I'm not involved with it anymore but I can't imagine things have gotten any better. As I see it most of the people low balling only last a couple of years. They get to a point where they see the wear and tear on the truck, equipment repair and replacement have taken such a big bite of the bottom line they may as well be working at McDonalds.

2. AHM

AHM NES Member

That's a perennial Dave Ramsey pro-tip, BTW.
    Maybe not double, but jack up significantly.
    Lots of small business callers are afraid to charge market price,
    let alone the premium price justified when they deliver a premium product/service.

(Dave also raises his rent on tenants by a smidgen every year; on general principle).

Blueskyday likes this.
  3. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Pretty much. Wifes best friend has a home based baking business. She does fantastic work, but her prices are far too low for the effort she puts into them. I've been saying she needs to double her prices and work less. Also to start quoting like she doesnt want the work when people have crazy requests. I think shes starting to listen.

buckfarack, Blueskyday and AHM like this.
  4. SgtHal75

SgtHal75 NES Member

Wait a minute Wait a minute Wait a minute!.......didn’t we have a discussion a few days ago about how great you are at tapping into foreign investment markets and financial strategies common Americans ignore???? And all this time your just a freakin landscaper!!!!! Hahahahahaha!!!!!! Just kidding my friend, it’s lonely at the bottom ain’t it, lol!!!!

Jason Flare likes this.
  5. AHM

AHM NES Member

There's a Ramsey Personality for that.
    Maybe your wife's friend would dig that site.

(Can't say how often, if ever, Ms. Wright rolls out the "don't lowball" spiel.
    But she's been exposed to the concept fer sure).

Submitted for her consideration...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

I upped my prices today. Felt kinda funny doing it. But I've had service repairmen at my house twice recently for stuff I don't work on and realized how behind I was on pricing.

smokey-seven and AHM like this.
  7. Coyote33

Coyote33

[​IMG]

Jason Flare likes this.
  8. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

"Them tires is Low Miles."

9. Blueskyday

Blueskyday NES Member

I freak out every time I KNOW I have to raise prices.

Labor cost has gotten so bad on cape....I'm close to....giving up.

I'm also close to reinventing my business... so don't read too far into any one given comment lol

I have NEVER (ten years) lost more than 1-2 REGULAR customers over a round of price raises.

ALWAYS RAISE YOUR DAMN PRICES!!!!!!!
    if there is any,..... any..... question about the situation..... raise your prices. period.

This time...I raised them waaay higher than I should have. f*** it. I know I'll lose people but.....I'll pay...

less payroll
    less food cost
    less liquor cost

and still....make more profit, while working less....

yay.

Don't sell yourself short.

Know what you want to be worth.
    Get there.

Now, I just need to listen to my own drunken ramblings lol :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    AHM, drgrant and PennyPincher like this.
  10. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Now that is not iffensive to the NES family.

11. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Let us how you made out please?

Cost and effect... do a quick analysis for us when the dust settles please.

12. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

So far so good. I didn't raise my prices a lot. But I scheduled about 12 customers yesterday with my new pricing and nobody balked. I think I was the only barrier to raising my prices.

buckfarack and PennyPincher like this.
  13. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Yea, when you feel the penny pinching you, you are late at raising your prices.

In my original example, my buddy doubled his prices and only lost 20% of customers. He dropped one crew and one truck and had surplus equipment to service and be ready for a breakdown on another crew. Service improved and it was just plain good business.

AHM likes this.
  14. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Just had some automotive electrical work done.

$120 per hour.

15. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

Yup. My overhead definitely isn't as high as an automotive shop so I'm not that high. I had a appliance repairman fix my fridge. He was very knowledgeable about the problem, brought the right parts, and fixed it on the first trip. But their "service fee" doesn't really include their "labor". So I figured between there $129 service fee and $85 labor fee, I paid $214 dollars for an hr of work, not to mention I'm sure a generous parts mark up. He assured me they were the cheapest in the area as well by quite a margin. I understand the pricing for service because there is so much of the day spent driving between jobs. It's not like having a car brought to you or quoting a construction job and spending days there.

16. millbilly

millbilly NES Member

But that pricing and a recent company helping me out with a fried zone board for my furnace was $180 for a service call (which did include the labor) took an hour also. Helped me raise my pricing

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I haven't raised my prices in 25 years. Of course, my fees are a % of assets, so as long as the assets grow, so do my fees. ;)