I had use the generator for the first time!

My 4750 runs everything minus the water heater and/or heat pump. 7500 would probably run everything, but maybe not the heatpump and water heater at the same time. My well pump is 240, so no water if I'm on the smaller generator (it only puts out single phase/120V). The small one is mainly for night time use or if the outage is for more than 24 hours.

Thanks, I don't want to have two of them and I want the one I get to have enough juice to run everything. My current generator hasn't been run yet, haven't put oil in it even. As soon as I settle on a dual fuel one I'm going to sell the one I have. Aside from emergencies which [knock on wood] have been few and far between the last several years, I don't really use a generator.

Oddly enough, that face of the building has no opening windows. Front, back, other side, but that's kind of the blind side of the house. Which makes sense since that's the north facing side of his house.

Depending on the state, building codes can require a generator location 12' away from an operating window, due to CO possibilities.

I just put a 4ft x4ft 3/4 plywood on top that has eye loops from underneath hooked to the frame so it doesn’t move.
Works perfectly fine

Last edited:
Is that sound deadening, insulation or both?

Nice set up. I like that the fan is powered by the generator.
Both. It is a sound deadening insulation that is rated for 1500F temps. The material on the lid is automotive sound deadening mat. Both from Amazon.
Damn that's a nice setup. Rockwool insulation?
It is not Rockwool. That stuff was expensive and not readily available when I did this last year. This is a more flexible material that was considerably less expensive.

I have upgraded since that photo was taken. There are now four 20-lb propane tanks in series that will allow it to run for 2-3 days straight. Then I can switch over to gasoline if required.

Total cost was just about $2.5k including the generator.

Both. It is a sound deadening insulation that is rated for 1500F temps. The material on the lid is automotive sound deadening mat. Both from Amazon.

It is not Rockwool. That stuff was expensive and not readily available when I did this last year. This is a more flexible material that was considerably less expensive.

I have upgraded since that photo was taken. There are now four 20-lb propane tanks in series that will allow it to run for 2-3 days straight. Then I can switch over to gasoline if required.

Total cost was just about $2.5k including the generator.
Wow it looks just like rock wool insulation. Wonder what its made of. Nice job

Any idea on a brand name? I'm in the market for something with those properties (sound-deadening, without the stiff price and stiffness of Rockwool).

I won't be even a little surprised if we lose power during the day. The generator will kick in and we'll have power. Of course Comcast doesn't have backups for their amplifiersso once the batteries die, we'll lose all of that.

Little after nine the power went out......less than 10 seconds my 14K Kohler fired up.......

I had to re-start the damn computer for criss sakes........my life is hard........

I have my computer and modem on a UPS so they stay alive until the generator kicks in. The cable TV box has to reboot, so that's about five minutes without Dr. Phil. [rofl]

Little after nine the power went out......less than 10 seconds my 14K Kohler fired up.......

I had to re-start the damn computer for criss sakes........my life is hard........

Generator kicked on at 6:30ish this morning, been on three hours at this point. TV, cable box and internet router are all on UPSs.

<sigh> Have to reset the stove and microwave clocks.

The struggle is real! ;)

Still no outage here, yet. I'm still glad that I called the propane company and had the tanks filled last week.

Generator kicked on at 6:30ish this morning, been on three hours at this point. TV, cable box and internet router are all on UPSs.

<sigh> Have to reset the stove and microwave clocks.

Had to roll out my genny just before 6:30am today due to losing power. My computer gear, including the router and ONT box are all on UPS units. As is my 3D printer, TV and DVD player (no stupid cable box to worry about). Glad I filled it's tank up yesterday afternoon (should be good for 12 hours, or more). If I'm still without grid power come later this afternoon I'll top it off and go out to get the cans filled back up again. Just hoping power isn't out for days.

You would THINK that the power companies, and utility crews, would be better at keeping three limbs from knocking out power during storms in the region.

Next place I live in will have a whole house generator with a large fuel supply. No idea what I'll run it on yet, all depends on what my choices are at that point. Whatever it is, I know it will be quieter than what I'm using now.

I lost power for about 2 hours this morning as well. Drug out the generator (the yard is a mud pit from all the rain), hooked it up and was on backup power before the UPS for my desktop died. I attended a zoom meeting without incident while running on the generator. I turned on a small heater fan to its lowest setting which loaded the generator just enough so it wasn't bouncing off the lower rev limiter and making the incandescent lights pulse. Previous to this I had lost power for a few minutes.

I changed out the UPS on my home lab/server gear a while back to an APC unit (1500VA) so that I actually had enough run time to switch over to the generator. I also got a new one for the 3D printer since the older CyberPower unit had a stupid short run time (less than a minute) even at a 1000VA rating. Slowly going through all the other UPS' I have and changing them out for APC models to get rid of the others/older units. I only have two left to change out at this point. Almost all of them have AVR so I don't need to worry about the power levels while on the generator screwing things up. Having that has saved plenty of my electronics so money well spent. Especially since the price difference between units with and without AVR is minimal.

I'm pretty sure a diesel generator could be run on home heating oil as well. IF my next place has oil heat, I'll look deeper into that option.

You must use it for a lot more than your generator. We got our two 80 (100) gallon tanks filled when the generator went on line and I finally had to refill them about two weeks ago because one got down to 20 pounds. Those are dedicated to the generator, so our use is low.

Same here, 500 Gal underground. Need to go check the gauge, last fill was Thanksgiving week.

Anyone have one? 7,000 watt [running] Inverter with 240 plug, electric start with battery and wheels for $1,300. 10 hours run time on 4.2 gallons, claimed.

Anyone have one? 7,000 watt [running] Inverter with 240 plug, electric start with battery and wheels for $1,300. 10 hours run time on 4.2 gallons, claimed.

If that was dual fuel I'd be all over it.

If that was dual fuel I'd be all over it.
Seems to be the largest dual fuel inverter. 3285W running on Propane.

Back
Top Bottom