• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I had use the generator for the first time!

APFSDS

NES Member
We had a 5 hour long power outage in my neighborhood from a downed tree last night. I gave it about 30 minutes after the power went out then hooked up the generator. It worked great! I had not had a chance to do a full-house test, so it was a relief when I started flipping breakers and everything worked. My oil heat came on and ran perfectly. I was a bit concerned that when I recently put in a dual-fuel setup with heatpump/AC and oil they connected the thermostat 24V to the outdoor condenser unit (I left the breaker to this off) but I guess not. I ran everything but the heatpump and water heater on the generator. The generator is a 4.7kw gas/propane, non-inverter type and I found that there wasn't enough base load with just lights, computers and the TV. It would sort of lope along which caused some voltage variations. This wasnt a problem for anything with a rectifier (PCs, TV, LED lighting etc.), but regular incandescent bulbs were pulsing. I ended up turning on my countertop water distiller which draws about 1kw, and that loaded it down so the voltage was pretty steady. I only used about 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank in that 5 hours, so if I filled it up I think I could run it all night without refilling if need be. The connection to the house electrical panel is less than ideal, but I am having a transfer switch installed in the next few weeks. Anyway, I feel like all that expense, trouble and work was worth it! I fire up the generator about every other week for a few minutes and put a load on it once in a while, and it started instantly and ran great. I need to make a cable to connect my 2kw inverter generator as well, so I can run that when I just need heat and a few lights. It has dramatically less fuel consumption.

Intense windstorm last night, multiple trees down in my neighborhood, luckily I went to standby generator with ATS, so I barely noticed the transition when the power finally came back.

The connection to the house electrical panel is less than ideal, but I am having a transfer switch installed in the next few weeks.
Getting a "transfer switch" or an "interlock"? The latter, if your panel can accept it, is much more flexible way to connect a portable generator and not have to plan ahead for what circuits get power.

If we were planning on living here longer I would get a whole-house standby generator. I'm jealous!

It's an interlock, actually this one: Here . I got gifted this actually, plus I wanted it to be easy for my GF to switch over to the generator if I'm not home. I have to say my current connection method allows for me to run the whole house, which was nice, but complicated to set up.
Intense windstorm last night, multiple trees down in my neighborhood, luckily I went to standby generator with ATS, so I barely noticed the transition when the power finally came back.

Getting a "transfer switch" or an "interlock"? The latter, if your panel can accept it, is much more flexible way to connect a portable generator and not have to plan ahead for what circuits get power.

It has a 240V outlet.

does it have a 30A 240v receptacle on it? if not, you most likely won't be connecting to the panel

I just bought a HF (yes, harbor freight) Predator 9.5kw inverter generator because im getting old and dont want to have to deal with too much shit if and when it comes to long term power outages. They listed it for 2400.00 and being an ITCM, they sent me a cupon for 25% off any one item in the store. For 1800.00 i couldnt say no. Had an electrician hook up an interlock switch on my panel, and put a 240V 30amp recepticle on the house. Well earlier this week i got to test it out when for some unknown reason the power went down for about 2 hrs. My house is mostly gas, with the biggest elec. appliance being the clothes dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator and an in wall AC unit. Hot water, stove and furnace all gas, no well. Just me and the wifey and cat, so we dont draw much power. Took me about 5 min. to hook it up and start it. Works beautiful, ran everything in the house even on quiet mode. (1.9kw instead of 7.6kw) 25% of full running power.
The only thing i did before running it was to buy a magnetized drain plug and dipstick to catch all the metal particles that get in the oil. (it has no oil filter). I ran it for 1 hr. when i first got it and i was amazed at the metal particles that they picked up. I would recommend these on any type of engine without an oil filter. Well, im happy, just need to get a little tent so if i have to run it during a storm........

many gas generators have a fuel shut off and drain in the carb bowl to drain any residual fuel.

IMHO if you put some Sea Foam stabilizer in the tank and top it off to reduce condensation, run some of the treated fuel thru the carb, then shutting the generator off and draining the fuel out of the carb it keeps the machine happy. The other thing you want to do is pull on the starter cord gently until you feel resistance. That resistance is compression and means the valves are closed preventing air from getting into the cylinder from the intake or exhaust side.

The Honda EU2000 series has a drain hose out the bottom from the carb... pop the side cover, loosen the drain screw, about 3 ounces of gas runs out the bottom thru the hose... I drain mine over a bucket with paper towels in it then let the gas evaporate.

I just use the fuel shutoff and let the engine run until the carb empties. I found out the hard way that I have to remember to turn the key on my EU6500 to "off" as leaving in on with the engine not running will discharge the battery over time.

Wow. We've had several multi-day outages since we got ours, including two that were a week. 20kW Generac with auto transfer switch so it's mighty handy... but guzzles the propane to the extent that when it's running I call it "$100-a-day juice."
Got the same unit but on Nat gas. It used to be about 2X more expensive than electricity for a given time period but now…..I know if it kicks in for any length of time I’m going to be sweating my next gas bill bigly

We had a 5 hour long power outage in my neighborhood from a downed tree last night. I gave it about 30 minutes after the power went out then hooked up the generator. It worked great! I had not had a chance to do a full-house test, so it was a relief when I started flipping breakers and everything worked. My oil heat came on and ran perfectly. I was a bit concerned that when I recently put in a dual-fuel setup with heatpump/AC and oil they connected the thermostat 24V to the outdoor condenser unit (I left the breaker to this off) but I guess not. I ran everything but the heatpump and water heater on the generator. The generator is a 4.7kw gas/propane, non-inverter type and I found that there wasn't enough base load with just lights, computers and the TV. It would sort of lope along which caused some voltage variations. This wasnt a problem for anything with a rectifier (PCs, TV, LED lighting etc.), but regular incandescent bulbs were pulsing. I ended up turning on my countertop water distiller which draws about 1kw, and that loaded it down so the voltage was pretty steady. I only used about 1/3 to 1/2 of a tank in that 5 hours, so if I filled it up I think I could run it all night without refilling if need be. The connection to the house electrical panel is less than ideal, but I am having a transfer switch installed in the next few weeks. Anyway, I feel like all that expense, trouble and work was worth it! I fire up the generator about every other week for a few minutes and put a load on it once in a while, and it started instantly and ran great. I need to make a cable to connect my 2kw inverter generator as well, so I can run that when I just need heat and a few lights. It has dramatically less fuel consumption.
Amazon product ASIN B097ZVPNSMView: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Generator-Transfer-Switches-Briidea/dp/B097ZVPNSM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2QZW74JD5FDH7&keywords=boiler+generator+switch&qid=1670083123&sprefix=boiler+gen%2Caps%2C273&sr=8-2

I bought this to run a 2.2kw generator at night just for heat. It burns a gallon in 14 hours I believe. The 7.5kw runs the whole house but at 5 gallons @ 12 hours. This would help for your heat and lights load

Amazon product ASIN B097ZVPNSMView: https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Generator-Transfer-Switches-Briidea/dp/B097ZVPNSM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2QZW74JD5FDH7&keywords=boiler+generator+switch&qid=1670083123&sprefix=boiler+gen%2Caps%2C273&sr=8-2

I bought this to run a 2.2kw generator at night just for heat. It burns a gallon in 14 hours I believe. The 7.5kw runs the whole house but at 5 gallons @ 12 hours. This would help for your heat and lights load

I have a 2kw inverter generator and was just going to make a convertor cord to go from that to the 240V NEMA connection. I just need to make sure I am powering the correct leg so the side of the panel box with the oil heat blower gets power.

I have my NH house setup for a 220V 30 amp male connector in a weatherproof box, I plug in a cord from the 5500 watt generator to feed both sides of the transfer panel. 6 15A breakers, 2 20A's and one ganged 220 v using two 20 amp breakers, you have seen the picture above

When I use the Honda EU2000 I don't get a 220 output so I have a cheater cord that is a male that goes into the 30A plug on my EU2000 Companion model, and a female of the connector that would normally go into the generator

In that cheater cord only one hot leg is wired and it is supplying 120 volts to one side of the transfer switch

Since the inverters and generator are side by side it is just a matter of running down stairs and flipping the transfer switch panel switches to the neutral center position to make sure there is no load on the generator or inverter when swapping over, making a quick swap of cords from machine to machine and pulling the cord to start the second or second and third if I am tethered machines.

Then I run back downstairs and move the switches back to the generator position

IMG_20221203_162720789.jpg IMG_20221203_162730093_HDR.jpg

Same idea
Great if ya just want heat to keep pipes from freezing

Attachments

• 55B9EA35-D876-4AFF-B55D-119E1CFA4894.jpeg
    55B9EA35-D876-4AFF-B55D-119E1CFA4894.jpeg
    887.9 KB · Views: 27
Generator kicked in twice in a week. Late last week we lost power for about an hour. No idea why, but Nat. Grid got it fixed fairly quickly. Just lost power 10 minutes ago. I suspect it's due to a car hitting a pole about half a mile from the house. Pole snapped in two and then a fire broke out at the top of the pole. That was about half an hour ago and then the power went out.

We'll see how long this one is.

I need to check the levels in the propane tanks in the morning and call my supplier. I think it's going to be one of THOSE winters.

I have a natural gas/LP conversion carburetor for my Honda 5500. I also have a millievolt gas valve for my boiler and a gravity feed system so no electricity is needed with my cast iron radiators.

Must be being discontinued as NLA at Home Depot, where I bought mine. Amazon won’t accept returns and that’s most of the negative reviews.

Crazy low price for a 5,000 W inverter. If you have an RV or small house and need a 240V inverter tough value to beat.

Yeah, it's nice when it works as designed. I ran my office and two homes on portable generators w/ transfer switch during Hurricane Irene, one house was down for 8 days, office for 4.

I bought a new home last year, had a transfer switch installed w/ a 30amp plug outside. I have a gas powered generator that's about 8 years old and has never been run. Now looking at dual fuel since new house has propane heat. Had a propane line run to where the outside plug and one for the grill is but still need to get the hoses for the generator and grill attached. Does an inverter make that much of a difference? The selection in portable ones that have 30 amp plug and are over 4500 watts is pretty limited. I have always had a 7500 Watt and that has served me well but the only reasonable inverter over 4500 seems to be a 9000 Watt and I'm wondering if that's overkill. Want to get a new dual fuel and sell the gas generator.

Here's the inverter I'm looking at:

Amazon product ASIN B08Z1CHJR6View: https://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP9000iH-9000-Watt-Inverter-Generator/dp/B08Z1CHJR6/ref=sr_1_9?crid=24TO0Q54CUV53&keywords=dual+fuel+inverter+generator&qid=1671035909&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=dual+fuel+inv%2Clawngarden%2C95&sr=1-9

Does an inverter make that much of a difference? The selection in portable ones that have 30 amp plug and are over 4500 watts is pretty limited. I have always had a 7500 Watt and that has served me well but the only reasonable inverter over 4500 seems to be a 9000 Watt and I'm wondering if that's overkill. Want to get a new dual fuel and sell the gas generator.

Here's the inverter I'm looking at:

Amazon product ASIN B08Z1CHJR6View: https://www.amazon.com/DuroMax-XP9000iH-9000-Watt-Inverter-Generator/dp/B08Z1CHJR6/ref=sr_1_9?crid=24TO0Q54CUV53&keywords=dual+fuel+inverter+generator&qid=1671035909&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=dual+fuel+inv%2Clawngarden%2C95&sr=1-9

Inverter generators are expensive but much quieter, provide cleaner power and are significantly more fuel efficient. I have a small inverter generator and a regular one, buying both was cheaper than a big inverter but much less convenient since I have to switch them out when I have a low load (i.e. at night when I'm just running the oil heat blower periodically). I also have a spare in case one generator dies, so at least I won't freeze. The inverter style generator can run at lower speeds and relies on the inverter (fancy transistors, amongst other things) to provide 120/240VAC at 60 Hz. It throttles up and runs at more RPMs for higher loads. The regular inverter has to run at a constant speed to achieve the right AC frequency, even when it's lightly loaded, hence the lower fuel economy.

Inverter generators are expensive but much quieter, provide cleaner power and are significantly more fuel efficient. I have a small inverter generator and a regular one, buying both was cheaper than a big inverter but much less convenient since I have to switch them out when I have a low load (i.e. at night when I'm just running the oil heat blower periodically). I also have a spare in case one generator dies, so at least I won't freeze. The inverter style generator can run at lower speeds and relies on the inverter (fancy transistors, amongst other things) to provide 120/240VAC at 60 Hz. It throttles up and runs at more RPMs for higher loads. The regular inverter has to run at a constant speed to achieve the right AC frequency, even when it's lightly loaded, hence the lower fuel economy.

Thanks. 9000W is overkill for my situation which doesn't sound like a good idea since it'll most likely have a relatively low load on it most of the time. 4500W is not enough for full load and it seems like there aren't any decent portable dual fuel inverters in between. I guess I'll go with a conventional one in the 7500W range and have it be louder and less efficient.

Thanks. 9000W is overkill for my situation which doesn't sound like a good idea since it'll most likely have a relatively low load on it most of the time. 4500W is not enough for full load and it seems like there aren't any decent portable dual fuel inverters in between. I guess I'll go with a conventional one in the 7500W range and have it be louder and less efficient.

My 4750 runs everything minus the water heater and/or heat pump. 7500 would probably run everything, but maybe not the heatpump and water heater at the same time. My well pump is 240, so no water if I'm on the smaller generator (it only puts out single phase/120V). The small one is mainly for night time use or if the outage is for more than 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom