• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I Had to do it!!!....Best Pizza

I could go on about how good the pizza was growing up in Italy, but truth be told, American pizza is better. I liked Rays in NYC back in the day... or basically any thin, chewy, greasy NYC style pizza.

Portland Pie up in Maine.

They used to have some locations down here, but I don't think they do anymore. Pity. That was the only pizza I've ever really looked forward to.

Both Santarpio's and Regina were disappointments to me.

When it's good, yeah, I like it.
Where the hell do you find consistently good Papa?
Around me, Taunton, Raynham, Middleborough, there is no consistency.
You can definitely hit a speed bump any time no doubt especially if you have high school kids working but I have three around me. All have been spot on. The one on 152 in plainville has been my go to. The cheeseburgers and steak and cheese are off the hook at papas too.

I was born in New Haven and I grew up nearby in Branford and the only pizza I ever ate was Frank Pepe's. When we moved up to northern Mass the closest place around was a typical Greek pizza place. I couldn't belive this thing they cooked in a pan was a pizza! To this day I still hate any pizza cooked in a pan. Brick oven pizza cooked well...almost burnt is how I like it.

I could go on about how good the pizza was growing up in Italy, but truth be told, American pizza is better. I liked Rays in NYC back in the day... or basically any thin, chewy, greasy NYC style pizza.

I remember Ray's in NYC too, wouldn't even know which one it was, but it was awesome.

Northern Italy pizza was incredible though, nothing tops that. Locals took me to a place in Monza when I went on a work trip.

Love Frank Pepe and pap ginos

One I used to love was easy pie in Braintree. I used to stop by there on the way home from the Holbrook range. They just recently closed down that location and kept their bigger restaurant open in Everett or Revere, I forget. I haven’t tried that location yet.

I was born in New Haven and I grew up nearby in Branford and the only pizza I ever ate was Frank Pepe's. When we moved up to northern Mass the closest place around was a typical Greek pizza place. I couldn't belive this thing they cooked in a pan was a pizza! To this day I still hate any pizza cooked in a pan. Brick oven pizza cooked well...almost burnt is how I like it.

If it's the chain that's now in like 10 places, they opened one in Burlington. I sometimes stop in CT for Frank Pepe's when working down there.

There's a coal fired place in Saugus - I like the flavor of coal fired pizza but it gives me a sore throat, which is not a symptom you want these days.

Nicky's Pizza in Lynn

Santarpios is good but wildly overrated, sorry OP.

There used to be a place in Malden called Little Pepina's on Broadway. Closed probably in 2008-09 and was bar-none the best F-ing pizza around. Starting about 6 months before closing the quality suddenly got inconsistent and delivery times became really long. Assuming the owners got old and no one in the family wanted to keep it going. Damn I miss that place.
Never been, but I think a lot of it has to do with the individual making the pizza.

A buddy of mine used to call ahead to the Brown Jug in Chelsea and ask who was working in the kitchen. Depending on the answer he would either place an order or not. Another friend worked at the Squire for a while. He said there were a couple of Brazilian brothers who worked in the kitchen. One was a great cook and the other not so much.

Sometimes it comes down to the guy in the kitchen who knows his stuff and once he leaves it goes down hill.

When I worked in Salem, NH at HRO, we used to order Sal's that was just down the road. It was awesome then but their pizza seems to have slipped. Not as good as it used to be.

I remember Ray's in NYC too, wouldn't even know which one it was, but it was awesome.

Northern Italy pizza was incredible though, nothing tops that. Locals took me to a place in Monza when I went on a work trip.

Meh, I grew up in Milan, we had our school picnics at Monza Park. Always thought Italian pizza was a little overrated and trust me, I ate at the local joints. Don't get me wrong, it can be very good but I like a big ole sloppy, floppy chewy NY style... personal preference I get.

I might get killed for this but it’s papa ginos for me. Not the absolute best but consistently good every time. Can’t say I’ve ever had a bad one from them.

I miss Papa Gino's. Nothing even close out here. Overall best is the original Regina's, but I haven't been there in probably 10 years.

Meh, I grew up in Milan, we had our school picnics at Monza Park. Always thought Italian pizza was a little overrated and trust me, I ate at the local joints. Don't get me wrong, it can be very good but I like a big ole sloppy, floppy chewy NY style... personal preference I get.

They're almost like different foods, I like them both. Flatbread in Burlington reminds me of Italian pizza, I like that place a lot too.

I miss Papa Gino's. Nothing even close out here. Overall best is the original Regina's, but I haven't been there in probably 10 years.
I miss PGs as well. Reginas in Saugus was my go to for a while. My sister turned me on to a place in Wakefield I think,, but I can't remember the name. Brown Jug in Chelsea makes good thin crust. Also have to admit to liking Costco. Pretty good for robot made warehouse pizza

I miss PGs as well. Reginas in Saugus was my go to for a while. My sister turned me on to a place in Wakefield I think,, but I can't remember the name. Brown Jug in Chelsea makes good thin crust. Also have to admit to liking Costco. Pretty good for robot made warehouse pizza

Slice in Wakefield isn't bad, even if it is in a gas station

Back
Top Bottom