I had a couple of primers blow up on me while reloading

There is a mewe group dedicated to just that practice.

A guy I shoot with reloads his primers. He described the process to me - and I was like "f*** that noise - that's way too much time/effort".
Paper caps or plastic?

I had a couple blow on me last year. I was loading .243 with a Lee Loader, the old one with the hammer. Turns out, I had a couple small primer pocket brass. Didn't know they made such a thing. Tried to bash in LRP. My wife was pissed and the dogs will no longer come into the reloading room.

I had a couple blow on me last year. I was loading .243 with a Lee Loader, the old one with the hammer. Turns out, I had a couple small primer pocket brass. Didn't know they made such a thing. Tried to bash in LRP. My wife was pissed and the dogs will no longer come into the reloading room.
Did this with 357 while I was waiting on my die set to come in. Yes I had a 357 Lee loader when I didn’t own a 357.

I yelled out to the wife “I’m ok” she yelled back “what are you talking about?”

Thank god I didn’t get hurt she had no clue.

I was decapping some DEN 42 .30-06 ammo last year (corrosive primers, and had a f-ton of this ammo) and had a detonation. LRPs are loud!

Decapping military ammo with a hammer and punch indoors in a small room with no ear protection. Learned quickly this was dumb. I then soaked the brass in water for a few mins to de-activate the primer. Lesson learned.

Anywho, my original question was has anyone else noticed “quality control” issues with primers made in the last year or so? I’ve been having an uptick in dead primer or hang fires in LPPs and LRPs. Not quite the theme of this thread, but thought I’d ask.

Did this with 357 while I was waiting on my die set to come in. Yes I had a 357 Lee loader when I didn’t own a 357.

I yelled out to the wife “I’m ok” she yelled back “what are you talking about?”

Thank god I didn’t get hurt she had no clue.
Did the same on my press with a case where the primer had corroded into the case leaving a ring behind - caught just right and set it off
Wife and family completely oblivious to the loud bang - I'd be laying on the floor dead with the cat eating my body for a week before someone figured out that they hadn't seen me around lately.

Did the same on my press with a case where the primer had corroded into the case leaving a ring behind - caught just right and set it off
Wife and family completely oblivious to the loud bang - I'd be laying on the floor dead with the cat eating my body for a week before someone figured out that they hadn't seen me around lately.
Forget to take the trash out on pickup day and you’ll be in trouble though

I've had primers not come all the way out just like on that Winchester case more than several times. Also from brass I've picked up in the early Spring. However I've also noticed it happen with brass that spent too long in the wet tumbler after the agitation cycle ended.

Fortunately with my LnL I've yet to have a primer detonate with this combination of mishaps.

Back
Top Bottom