I Finally Found an Ammo Cabinet

I have been searching for a decent cabinet to store my ammo in, without having to spend actual money on one, of course. I kept hitting up thrift stores looking for just the right cabinet that I could slap a lock on and would hold at least most of my ammo.

I finally came across this one at the Salvation Army today. I do not know what it was originally meant for, but it fit my needs perfectly. It just happens to have a compartment for each caliber that I am stocking. According to the label, it was made in London by a company called Staples. It may have been meant to hold LP records, or it was some kind of writing desk, I don't know.

The only thing I couldn't get into it were my crates, but I am assuming that they are exempt from the requirement to be locked up, since no little kid is going to get through a wooden crate and a spam can.

I realize that this is probably a lot less than most of you guys have stored, but I've only been at this for a few months [grin]

Last edited:
Nice find, I found my current ammo cabinet at my parents house. My father does some lock-smithing work and had a steel cabinet with a locking system (used for storing key blanks) that he was going to chuck. A quick paint job and some added shelves covers all the space I need.

I only see one thing wrong with it.....it looks like it only holds a couple thousand rounds [laugh]

Yeah, it is looking a bit full already, but there are things I could do to remedy that. For one, I don't actually have a rifle chambered in .223, so if I need the space, I will just give that stuff away. I thought I was going to buy an AR-15, and I saw a sale on .223 and bought 200+ rounds. Then I got an AK instead. I also bought a mess of trap loads for my shotgun, thinking I wanted to get the kids into trap shooting, but they don't seem too interested. Once I shoot up that stuff, I won't replace it.

But I am always prepared to upgrade to a bigger cabinet if necessary.

Yeah, it is looking a bit full already, but there are things I could do to remedy that. For one, I don't actually have a rifle chambered in .223, so if I need the space, I will just give that stuff away. I thought I was going to buy an AR-15, and I saw a sale on .223 and bought 200+ rounds. Then I got an AK instead.

sounds like you need to build a AR [grin]

Looks like you're stocking up on Mountain House freeze-dried foods as well, so you must be a prepper. Gotta be careful, the gubmint will now classify you as a domestic terrorist....just like the rest of us!!

Back
Top Bottom