I felt totally naked today...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
I have a very dear uncle that is having some severe cardiac issues and has been in CCU at the Albany Hospital for a few weeks. He is going into surgery Tuesday. He’s very Italian and all the pasta with butter on it he ate growing up caught up with him about 15 years ago when he had a massive heart attack...fortunately, he survived but he’s been dealing with the aftermath since then.

I decided to make the three hour trek one way to see him today so I had to leave my carry pieces behind, you know, driving through Mass and NY... I was at the mercy of my gps finding the hospital and man, it took me through some pretty sketchy areas of Albany...there were a few times I felt like I was the only white guy inside a two mile radius. It’s been too long since I’ve seen inner city stuff. I need to get out more, I guess.

Last edited:
There's an internet meme picture of a guy with a ginormous gun (like FEET big) in his belt holster, captioned "What it feels like the first time you carry a gun".

Yes, now I feel naked (my apologies to those of you that know me, for the visual) if I DON'T have it on me.

First: A quick and complete recovery for your Uncle, and I'm sure he wouldn't replace a single meal. Food is Life for Italians...
Second: I pack even where I'm not supposed to. My Life, My Rules...

First: A quick and complete recovery for your Uncle, and I'm sure he wouldn't replace a single meal. Food is Life for Italians...
Second: I pack even where I'm not supposed to. My Life, My Rules...

Thank you for the well wishes and you are right about food and Italians. As a kid, sometimes we would go to his mom's house for Sunday dinners and holy cow, it was always a spread fit for a king.

Yeah...ordinarily I'm of the same mind as you but I placed it in my safe as I was leaving because I literally had no idea what I was getting into. I didn't want to take a chance of getting jammed up in NY. The next time I go, I am definitely taking it with me.

Deciding what works for you and following through IS exactly what "My Life, My Rules" means. Sounds like you're nailing it.
Safe trips and prayers for your great Uncle.
~Matt

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your uncle.

And there are some sketchy areas in Albany and the Troilet, be careful out there!

Thanks for the well wishes and yes, I found out that both cities have those areas. I went through Troy too but never stopped. Democrat infested areas to be sure.

Deciding what works for you and following through IS exactly what "My Life, My Rules" means. Sounds like you're nailing it.
Safe trips and prayers for your great Uncle.
~Matt

Thank you. I may go back again in several weeks when he is stronger following surgery. He is very dear to me as he was the one that encouraged me to stay with music when I was ready to hang it all up as a teenager. He's a great acoustic guitarist and auto-harpist.

I took a slightly different path in life than being a full time musician which was my original plan. I ended up learning electronics while in the Navy and my full time job for many years was repairing sound equipment. I still do it but very much throttled back and basically as a hobby. I get to rub elbows with local (and some fairly well known folks too) that play. I still play too but nothing that could be even remotely construed as full time.

Last edited:
...................................... pretty sketchy areas of Albany...there were a few times I felt like I was the only white guy inside a two mile radius. It’s been too long since I’ve seen inner city stuff. I need to get out more, I guess.

RACIST!!!!!!!!!!
[troll][troll][troll]

Very nice Pics! And nice of you to share yours with Timbo...

Just a quick update on my uncle...he was in surgery for 9 hours yesterday. Today he called his wife to check in on her and see how she was doing. To say she was shocked is an understatement. He still has a long road to recovery but so far, he is doing way better than I was expecting.

I am very happy to hear this great news. ~Speaking as a triple-bypass recipient.

I have a very dear uncle that is having some severe cardiac issues and has been in CCU at the Albany Hospital for a few weeks. He is going into surgery Tuesday. He’s very Italian and all the pasta with butter on it he ate growing up caught up with him about 15 years ago when he had a massive heart attack...fortunately, he survived but he’s been dealing with the aftermath since then.

I decided to make the three hour trek one way to see him today so I had to leave my carry pieces behind, you know, driving through Mass and NY... I was at the mercy of my gps finding the hospital and man, it took me through some pretty sketchy areas of Albany...there were a few times I felt like I was the only white guy inside a two mile radius. It’s been too long since I’ve seen inner city stuff. I need to get out more, I guess.

Sorry about your uncle but the subject should have been labeled “I felt totally racist today...”

You are implying that the place was sketchy because it was full of non white people. You’re absolutely the type of person with a gun I wouldn’t want making a judging call.

Unfortunately, and sadly, you aren’t the only one who thinks this way. Maybe you should do some reflection before deciding to carry again.

Try to look at situations without bringing skin color into the equation.

Last edited:
Sorry about your uncle but the subject should have been labeled “I felt totally racist today...”

You are implying that the place was sketchy because it was full of non white people. You’re absolutely the type of person with a gun I wouldn’t want making a judging call.

Unfortunately, and sadly, you aren’t the only one who thinks this way. Maybe you should do some reflection before deciding to carry again.

Try to look at situations without bringing skin color into the equation.
Interesting 1st post...Welcome to the forum.

I will say straight up that I am definitely not racist. If you knew me (which obviously you don't), you would know that I judge a person by their character, not their skin color. I don't give a rip what a person's color is. When you are stopped at a light or stop sign and a group of young men start walking towards your car looking at you, you decide the light is too long and move out quickly. Yes, that happened while I was driving through one of those neighborhoods. They may have had no nefarious intentions but I wasn't taking that chance. If that makes me racist, well then, I guess I am. I call it self preservation.

Last edited:
Despite "politically correct" bull puckey we're force fed by the media, there is NOTHING wrong with profiling. It's nothing more than scanning your environment and looking for cues or anything that seems out of place. If you aren't doing this, especially in a setting you aren't familiar with, then you're an idiot. T described a potential threat and his appropriate response, which was to leave. Now if he had instead, done a tactical roll out the door and assumed a kneeling position to deliver 9mm firepower on the approaching yutes, then perhaps our new member might have a point.

Back
Top Bottom