• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I don't know who you are...

Marine,

Sorry, but I don't know who you are. All I saw, today while I was on my way to lunch, was that you were riding in the back of some big black car with the US Marines stickers; stuck in traffic like the rest of us going into Dedham today. I know this isn't the perfect place to post this, but I really don't know where else to.

While sitting in my car at a red light I considered who you might be. What sacrifices you have made for me. I realized I had no idea, and how out of touch I am with certain things. You could be almost anyone. You're probably a neighbor of mine, and I don't know your name, or what you look like, or what you've done in your life. Maybe you're young and just back from Afghanistan, maybe you're old and served in WW2. I don't know, but thanks. Thanks for helping to protect my country and my wonderful way of life.

While I was pondering this, I thought of all the others, who at some time had the flag draped over their coffins, just like yours is now as you ride to your final resting place. I don't know much about any of them either. I'm just really thankful for you and them and everything that's been done for the rest of us.

Thank you. May you rest in peace, and may God protect those you left behind.

Back
Top Bottom