I don’t want to go on insulin........ Update

Mass-diver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Good luck OP! It’s not easy - processed food is cheap, convenient, and addictive. Of course, it’s poisonous too. Hang in there and do the best you can!

Exercise is a wonderful thing, but as the saying goes, you can’t out run a bad diet.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Way to go OP. Make it to 30 days and you should be rid of your bad food habits. Make it to 60-90 and the diet will be your new normal.

MarkT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Figured I'd provide an update on this thread. After reading everyone's comments and PMs, as well as doing some of my own research, I decided to do the South Beach Diet. As with most diets it cuts out all carbs for the first two weeks and then slowly lets you have some back, but only sparingly. Lots of eggs, nuts, salads, cheese, meat, etc. The diet is considered Keto friendly and so far I've been able to stick with it.

It's been 3 weeks since I've started and I'm down 10lbs and better still is that my daily blood glucose is running in the 80s instead of the 100-150 where it was typically running. Not sure how much weight I'm going to shoot for, but I'm thinking 25lbs would be a good goal.

Though I will say I could kill for a pizza! [smile]
Nice work!

It is amazing to me that most doctors don't even consider alternatives to medication. Just like anything else, it is important to do your own research and find what works for you.

I started intermittent fasting in Nov and have lost about 20 lbs. It isn't difficult once you get past the first few weeks, and I don't think I'll have any difficulty continuing it.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured I'd provide an update on this thread. After reading everyone's comments and PMs, as well as doing some of my own research, I decided to do the South Beach Diet. As with most diets it cuts out all carbs for the first two weeks and then slowly lets you have some back, but only sparingly. Lots of eggs, nuts, salads, cheese, meat, etc. The diet is considered Keto friendly and so far I've been able to stick with it.

It's been 3 weeks since I've started and I'm down 10lbs and better still is that my daily blood glucose is running in the 80s instead of the 100-150 where it was typically running. Not sure how much weight I'm going to shoot for, but I'm thinking 25lbs would be a good goal.

You can make a keto pizza with cauliflower crust, tomato sauce, and cheese

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: Post 59

Whelp I had my quarterly meeting with my doctor last week and my A1C is now 7.8 and has slowly been creeping towards 8 no matter what I do. Doctor said it’s time to think about going on insulin, but I really dot want to do that yet.

Currently I’m on glimepiride, metformin and Jardiance. Am I being stupid and I should just accept the insulin change or fight to stay off the needle as long as possible?

I stay away from sugary treats but I do have a weakness for bread. Guess I should cut that out too.

to me 52 is too young to be on the needle.
you should consider the Keto diet....even temporarily. It's a hard diet to adjust to, but once you're there, it's not too hard to maintain.

I was diagnosed with diabetes with a blood sugar of 138, so considered early diabetes. I was given a chance to fight it with diet and exercise for a year or they were going to put me on metformin. I did keto for a few months and my blood sugar was in the low 90s. Even now, almost a year and a half later, and NOT on any sort of strict keto (more just keeping carbs moderate), my fasting blood sugar doesn't get over 100 even if I stuffed my face with pizza the night before.

Seems that just completely getting rid of ALL carbs for a few months kind of resets your pancreas and insulin resistance.

I'm not a doctor obviously, but I'd say anything is worth a try before giving up and accepting insulin.

My weight has been slowing creeping back up, so I just started a renewed deep dive into Keto.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
yay keto. It worked wonders for me, i didn't get my blood sugar tested or anything, but when I was on it I could just feel
my blood sugar level out, I used to get a kind of shaky weak feeling of low blood sugar feeling if I missed a meal. On keto, I never felt that
even if I hadn't eaten all day. It is difficult to keep it up though, if there are any cookies or carbs in the house, I eventually gravitate to them. The secret was to not have any processed carbs (bread, cookies, cereal) sitting around the house within easy reach, but to have
keto 'snacks' like steak (heh!) and cucumbers made into half sour pickles in the fridge. Easier said than done though.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

This is TRUE health CARE. Meds should be considered a LAST RESORT but for most people, they are the "insta answer."

Top Bottom