I don’t want to go on insulin........ Update

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Update: Post 59

Whelp I had my quarterly meeting with my doctor last week and my A1C is now 7.8 and has slowly been creeping towards 8 no matter what I do. Doctor said it’s time to think about going on insulin, but I really dot want to do that yet.

Currently I’m on glimepiride, metformin and Jardiance. Am I being stupid and I should just accept the insulin change or fight to stay off the needle as long as possible?

I stay away from sugary treats but I do have a weakness for bread. Guess I should cut that out too.

to me 52 is too young to be on the needle.

Last edited:

92G

NES Member
Rating - 99%
100   1   0
if cut out refined carbs and initiate a fastsing strategy such as 16-8 then 18-6, most people can avoid antihyperglycemics especially insulin. humans did not evolve to eat 2-3 meals per day. we are designed to go long periods without food. setting a 24h fasting clock is huge because it allows the body to achieve some "insulin rest" in the sense that the insulin receptors can re-sensitize to insulin. that being said if on glimepiride (or insulin) one needs to be cautious fasting because hypoglycemia is possible. fasting is much easier if one is on a primarily plant based diet with lots of vegetables. one major problem with carbs is that they spike insulin production and lead to increased hunger 6-12h later which can make a fast much more difficult. the major caveat here I'm not your physician so this is not personalized medical advice.

what is your exercise routine? for many people resistance training (not just cardio) can do an incredible amount of insulin sensitization especially if one involves the larger mass muscles of the lower body (i.e. gluts, quads, hamstrings, core muscles)

Last edited:

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
one of my aunts was pre-diabetic and her doctor recommended switching to a plant-based diet. It’s worked so far.

YMMV, IANAD, I don’t play one on TV, and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Man, that sucks. Fight the need for insulin if you can. I've had multiple primary cares tell me they've see best results in lowering A1C using the keto diet. This diet minimizes insulin spikes after meals which contribute to insulin resistance, the core reason for needing extra insulin by injection. And second all 92G said, especially the caveat.

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Intermittent fasting (IF) and cut out carbs big time..?...Personally, I'd much rather restrict my diet than inject insulin.
Exercise? Weight loss? My wife and I are pretty much very low/no carb these days with IF. I'm down 10 lbs since 1/1/20.
Type II runs in my family and I am really trying to avoid it if I can...

67ray

NES Member
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
The best solution is the simplest, and the hardest to do. Diet & exercise are 100% guaranteed to work! Change your life and you will never be better.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp I had my quarterly meeting with my doctor last week and my A1C is now 7.8 and has slowly been creeping towards 8 no matter what I do. Doctor said it’s time to think about going on insulin, but I really dot want to do that yet.

Currently I’m on glimepiride, metformin and Jardiance. Am I being stupid and I should just accept the insulin change or fight to stay off the needle as long as possible?

I stay away from sugary treats but I do have a weakness for bread. Guess I should cut that out too.

None of us have great will power. But summon it up if you can and lose weight and start to exercise. Everyone I know who was prediabetic went on a strict diet and lost the weight and their blood sugar turned normal. It's hard, but I wish you the best.

wahsben

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
None of us have great will power. But summon it up if you can and lose weight and start to exercise. Everyone I know who was prediabetic went on a strict diet and lost the weight and their blood sugar turned normal. It's hard, but I wish you the best.
It's really not that hard, humans awfulize every situation in their head. Tomorrow just do something different than you did today, whether its food, exercise or whatever.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Been there OP. October 2018 was diagnosed diabetic with A1C over 7. Started walking daily and hitting the gym 3x a week. Reworked my diet completely. Dropped total net intake from +2200 to 1700. Cut extra sugars and carbs drastically. Upped protein and good fat intake. Didn't go full Keto, but close. In 12 months I dropped 60 lbs with A1C of 5.4. Diabetes is under control with diet and exercise only. I also started taking several supplements that seem to help, specifically Magnesium, Vitamin D, CoQ10, Alpha-Lipoic acid, Fish oil, and Turmeric.

NewGuyRay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yes Dr. Berg and Also Dr. Jason Fung. Once you start watching them you'll also find others with good information too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUiSCEBGxXk&t=27s
I am not a doctor and my opinions should not be construed as medical advice. I'm offering what I have seen to work with people in my life who were in a bad place medically and turned it around.

The recommendation here is a great starting point. I would also highly recommend the book, "The Calorie Myth" by Jonathan Bailor. Ignore the stuff about the program he sells off of the book. The book itself is an excellent layman explanation of metabolic disorder, the causes, and how to fix it.

I would also spend some time googling some terms such as "Kraft Test" and "Insulin Resistance Curve". Insulin Resistance (aka metabolic disfunction) precedes T2D and is present in your body before becoming "Diabetic. Most people are actually "diabetic" well before any glucose test result meets the clinical definition. The approach that seems to work best is fixing the insulin resistance through a committed change of diet away from the Standard American Diet.

quincy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice. I'm not pre diabetic but was diagnosed with non alcoholic fatter liver. Not a good thing to have down the road. In my sixties. Not overweight just had a big sweet tooth. I've cut out all sources of refined sugar and carbs since Dec and have lost a little weight, on Keto diet. You will need to get a Ketone/Glucose blood meter to test for ketosis so you know if it's working or not, about $50. Intermittent fasting, two meals a day, gradually push breakfast closer to lunch and eat second meal within 4 hours then nothing but liquids till next day. If you are already taking diabetic drugs just be careful of hypoglycemia. You can do it.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ketogenic diet.

You want to re-sensitize the insulin receptors by starving them of glucose/glycogen. Meanwhile, your body will break down fat into ketones as a source of energy. Give it a shot, but I'll tell you, you need to be disciplined as hell. Plan every meal, use an app to count net carbs.

If successful, the benefits are tremendous, extending to fat reduction, lowered blood pressure, decreased back/knee pain, and of course mental toughness.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

Getting my dad to stop metformin, statins and eating three bowls of Cheerios a day was all it took to get his AIC down below warning levels.

If he goes back on the cholesterol meds, his A1C Jack's back up.

Oh. The VA also had him taking a Benadryl every day.

Don't go on the needle. But cut out carbs and stop paying attention to the cholesterol bullshit. (go watch FatHead and dive into the dudes YouTube videos for book references and medical research papers to then go read and internalize. )

Don't go on the needle. It's just another band-aid to fix the variances by those other things.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I had a friend in the same spot. As well as a host of other medications. He started following Wheat Belly plan. Within 2 months his doc had him off all diabetes meds and most others. She said, I heard the voicemail she left him, that he was "no longer diabetic and if she didn't know his history would never classify him that way." He ended up losing 100lbs.

When my blood sugars started going up, I decided to make a change. Been following WB for more than 3.5 years. Perfect numbers! And more energy. And lost weight. Too many great results to list. It really works and is not hard once you understand.

Reeg

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the others have said, keto. YouTube Berg, Fung, Ken Berry and 2FitDocs. 1.5 years ago I had an A1C of 9.0. Six months later with keto and one meal a day (OMAD) I was at 5.0. 1 year later, back to 3 meals a day but still eating very low carb, A1C at 5.0, and I'm 50lbs lighter. It works, no drugs. And you won't believe how much better you feel. Good luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, there is so much wrong info on this thread for the OP that is dangerous for him to take any of this advice directly. There is some good advice, but only after your BS is stable.

1. You can't beat your genes. There are marathon runners who are on Lipitor with Chol numbers of 300 even though they are rail thin, eat great, and run 25+ mi a week.
2. OP, you didn't mention your weight, diet, or exercise, if you are already doing that and are good bmi, not much more you can do that way. Possible diet, but maybe not. See #1 above.
3. If the above is true, the person who said do the fast diet to someone who is pre diabetic or almost diabetic on metformin and other pre diab drugs to help w blood sugar and has to watch blood sugar is CRAZY and dangerous. Not eating for 18 hours and watching blood sugar crash is not good.

People have been successful on vegan diets and keto diets helping b sugars. Getting more complex carbs vs. simple ones helps. But it also doesn't work for all people and some people need to be on insulin.

Doctors are smart people who will make decisions based on what they know about you. That is what they do all day and were trained in. That being said, in the 12 minutes they give you, not sure you get the best advice. For something this important, I would pay the money and get 3 opinions from 3 docs. If they all come up the same, it is the thing to do.

BTW, nothing says that once on insulin you can't get off it. MY FIL went on insulin, changed his diet to mostly plant based with high fiber carbs, lost 100 lbs w diet and exercise and got off it. He is turning 90 and hasn't had a shot in 15 years, he was on it for probably 10+.

Good luck. Work with yourself and your medical professional(s).

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Been there OP. October 2018 was diagnosed diabetic with A1C over 7. Started walking daily and hitting the gym 3x a week. Reworked my diet completely. Dropped total net intake from +2200 to 1700. Cut extra sugars and carbs drastically. Upped protein and good fat intake. Didn't go full Keto, but close. In 12 months I dropped 60 lbs with A1C of 5.4. Diabetes is under control with diet and exercise only. I also started taking several supplements that seem to help, specifically Magnesium, Vitamin D, CoQ10, Alpha-Lipoic acid, Fish oil, and Turmeric.
This!!! All good ideas. All good information. Eat bacon. Tell the cholesterol idiots to stuff it. Turmeric, rosemary, coriander. Fresh veggies lightly steamed in a pot covered in turmeric is a great option.

No need to go full keto. (it had dangers and discipline must be absolute to do it right. )

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Ok, there is so much wrong info on this thread for the OP that is dangerous for him to take any of this advice directly. There is some good advice, but only after your BS is stable.

1. You can't beat your genes. There are marathon runners who are on Lipitor with Chol numbers of 300 even though they are rail thin, eat great, and run 25+ mi a week.
2. OP, you didn't mention your weight, diet, or exercise, if you are already doing that and are good bmi, not much more you can do that way. Possible diet, but maybe not. See #1 above.
3. If the above is true, the person who said do the fast diet to someone who is pre diabetic or almost diabetic on metformin and other pre diab drugs to help w blood sugar and has to watch blood sugar is CRAZY and dangerous. Not eating for 18 hours and watching blood sugar crash is not good.

People have been successful on vegan diets and keto diets helping b sugars. Getting more complex carbs vs. simple ones helps. But it also doesn't work for all people and some people need to be on insulin.

Doctors are smart people who will make decisions based on what they know about you. That is what they do all day and were trained in. That being said, in the 12 minutes they give you, not sure you get the best advice. For something this important, I would pay the money and get 3 opinions from 3 docs. If they all come up the same, it is the thing to do.

BTW, nothing says that once on insulin you can't get off it. MY FIL went on insulin, changed his diet to mostly plant based with high fiber carbs, lost 100 lbs w diet and exercise and got off it. He is turning 90 and hasn't had a shot in 15 years, he was on it for probably 10+.

Unfortunately I’m carry an extra 15-20lbs more then I should be. I’ve cut way down on sugary sweets and drinks and mostly eT 90% cocoa or more dark chocolate for a fix.

I do work out on a Peloton 2-3 days a week but I need to do more as I’m not really losing any weight. As someone who has had their blood sugar plunge by not eating enough you are right in that I don’t think fasting will work for me. Maybe later after things start turning around.

My genetics are not great as my father’s medical records read like a “hoe too” book on ways you could die. Definitely staying away from heart attacks and strokes if it’s the last thing I do.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0

How many hundreds of hours have you spent reading lipid hypothesis journal papers over the years?

Ask your doctor the same question. It doesn't take much time to find one who won't prescribe lipator to anyone just because the insurance companies want him or her to.

Ancel Keys was a wonderful researcher and performed a great deal of good work in his time. Some of the best body of published research which is usable against the lipid hypothesis stems from his own earlier works.

I don't think anyone should slow their metabolism down by skipping means. Even on a very careful plan.

Weight loss usually needs the opposite. More meals a day. More of the basic needs of fats and protein and veggies.

Keto is more of a maintenance diet to me. I know some fighters who use it successfully. They are also in probably the top 2-5% of the healthiest and most fit. But they were already in that realm before going on that diet.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
A1C AT 7.8 and he wants you on insulin???

I‘d kill for a 7.8. When I went on insulin mine was 15.

The nurse thought the machine was broken!

I haven’t been under 9.8 in 10 months.

Cut the carbs and brisk walk 1 mile a day.

All better!

If I could do the walking I’d be in a much better boat but I have a bum leg.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

Oh man! Talk about BAD advice! You do know that grains and "complex carbs" etc raise your blood glucose MORE than veggies and meat, right? Do you realize that people who are diabetic (type 2) are NOT going to go hypoglycemic by NOT eating for 12-16 hours! They may feel like shit but that's because their bodies are so used to being at elevated levels of blood glucose they have a hard time adjusting. Test your BG and if you aren't down in the 70s (and you won't be) you are FINE. This is your body telling you the shit you are used to eating is f***ed up but it wants it back. Kind of like a heroin addict in withdrawal!

Look, if you are not testing your blood glucose regularly you have no idea what the food you are eating is doing to you. NORMAL BG is under 100 (when using a test meter - not a lab test as they use a different unit of measure). BG readings around 80 are about as "ideal" as you can get without getting too low.

Top Bottom