I decided to buy a IWI Tavor x95

I never shot a BullPup; I am pretty excited! Anyone who has one and would like to give some pointers to a new Bullpup shooter. i would appreciate it
Point in safe direction

Always assume gun is loaded

Know what is behind your target

Always wear hearing and eye protection when shooting

Scan copies of Close Quarters and check IWI U.S.A. YouTube channel for some good videos. The Geissele trigger pack and trigger are good upgrades. Any can but an OSS really blows gas on your face.

I put a Mepro M21 bullseye on my X95 at first - it was very nice but not a single ragged hole at 100yd sort of optic. More a COM at 100yd+ sort of optic. Very fast at that. I have a Trijicon ACOG TA44 ACSS on now - nicer in some ways.

My X95 300AAC has a Vortex Viper Gen 2 1-6x24 SFP scope with an OSS can - very quiet.

The only mags that drop free on mine are the preban 30's. I have a few hex mag polymer 10 rounders and they function fine, they just won't drop free. Just throw a quality red dot on it, buy some metal mags and spend the rest on ammo. I've also done some grouping with everything from 55grain ball up to 75grain match grade and mine seems to do the best with just your basic XM193.

Set it up lefty.

iu

I never shot a BullPup; I am pretty excited! Anyone who has one and would like to give some pointers to a new Bullpup shooter. i would appreciate it
just a whole thread on the topic. :)

you will see there all you need - trigger suggestions, port covers and methods - mine still stays fine, btw - done with just the black electric tape. etc.
and i took off all those optics pieces from it, it is set now with at3 3x prism which fits it best.

Last edited:
Great rifle. Worth the price tag. They are a little tricky to suppress.

best upgrade I’ve found is the manticore arms curved buttpad. allows one to shoot faster without rifle rolling up during recoil. Manticore is OOS but they are solid about restocking their products. They also have excellent CS if you don’t like their products they readily issue refund.

you will see there all you need - trigger suggestions, port covers and methods - mine still stays fine, btw - done with just the black electric tape. etc.
and i took off all those optics pieces from it, it is set now with at3 3x prism which fits it best.

Thank you!

Take it to a good class and run it.

If you have it pinned/welded then get the thin butt pad.

I also prefer the pistol grip, keeps the rest of your fingers from sliding up under the trigger. It may be just me but having more fingers inside the trigger guard seems like asking for trouble. Yes I can have my trigger finger on the frame but that still leaves three other fingers flouting around in there.

Enjoy your new rifle.

If you have it pinned/welded then get the thin butt pad.

IIRC the 18" model can use thin buttpad and still maintain legal OAL but the 16" will end up a tad short. some years ago I made measurements on a tavor SAR and this is what I recall but am not 100% certain on it.

Awesome rifle!
I was so used to shooting AR-style rifles(AK's too but that's a different topic), I could not imagine anything better. Then I tried X95 and loved it! The way it can take pretty much ANY ammo and cycle without a problem. The way it balances in one hand. The way it feels and handles is so similar to an SBR AR but with a proper length barrel.
The only thing that drove me nuts is how awkward it felt to do mag changes. I watched a video from IWI, showed up at the range with 6 mags, each with just 2 cartridges, and kept practicing mag changes. Now I'm just as good(better wording would be "equally terrible") with X95 as with AR.

As others have mentioned, the best upgrade is the curved buttpad. Everything else is a personal preference.

i would say the best needed improvement is still a trigger work that comes in 2 pieces ( the trigger itself and the super sabra drop in pack block) - it is pricey but is definitely worth it once it`s all done. it really transforms the rifle.
next is a gasket into the left side gas port to stop gassing your nose at each shot.
then the buttpad, yes, it helps handling.
then the pistol grip with a front grip.
then you just leave it alone and shoot it for fun.

then you can start collecting caliber swap kits for it. :) but the fact you cannot easily buy a suppressor for it in MA really spoils that fun.

Geissele Super Sabra Trigger pack, Lightening Bow trigger, Manticore Arms buttpad, gasketed port cover, and IWI pistol grip. Add in a good sling and a decent short/mid range optic and your good to go. Pic below was before I did the trigger and port cover. I'm too lazy to get it out and take another...

IMG_1399 (1).jpg

Israel is replacing most of theirs with M16s in various configurations. Tavors will be used by specialized units. Apparently they feel that the Tavor is too expensive for what it provides.

They can buy three M16s for the cost of one Tavor.

IIRC the 18" model can use thin buttpad and still maintain legal OAL but the 16" will end up a tad short. some years ago I made measurements on a tavor SAR and this is what I recall but am not 100% certain on it.

I had a 1.5 comp pinned on the 16'' version which brought me over the OAL, but yes be sure to measure.

Geissele Super Sabra Trigger pack, Lightening Bow trigger, Manticore Arms buttpad, gasketed port cover, and IWI pistol grip. Add in a good sling and a decent short/mid range optic and your good to go. Pic below was before I did the trigger and port cover. I'm too lazy to get it out and take another...

View attachment 520364
here.
x95_last.jpg

Ok, now I want one, how much?

I've seen Tavor X95's advertised around $2k lately. I picked mine up for $1600 well before Covid. In MA there are a few advantages, the first being it doesn't fall under the AG's interpretation of an AR/AK clone, so they are relatively easy to acquire and sell via dealers. The second is as a bullpup with an overall short length, you get the benefit of an SBR without the 6-12mo wait and $200 tax stamp. It also uses pre-ban AR mags.

Down sides are more expensive than an AR, heavier than an AR, not as accurate as an AR. FWIW, the Tavor replaced the AK in my safe... serves the same purpose, just in a cooler package.

not as accurate as an AR
its 16.5" barrel has 1:7 twist - so shooting cheap 55gr ammo is not optimal there. yet, it is at 2moa somewhat accuracy with 55gr tula.
to get better accuracy, one can shoot it with 77gr ammo or m855. still, it is not a subMOA rifle, of course, nor should it be.

its 16.5" barrel has 1:7 twist - so shooting cheap 55gr ammo is not optimal there. yet, it is at 2moa somewhat accuracy with 55gr tula.
to get better accuracy, one can shoot it with 77gr ammo or m855. still, it is not a subMOA rifle, of course, nor should it be.
It's functionally accurate which is all it needs to be. Like I said, it replaced the AK in my arsenal. I have an AR10 7.62 with a 20" barrel that is sub-MOA if I need that level of accuracy...

*EDIT* I'll add that I did a 50-200 zero on the Tavor. Combination of the Eotech sight picture and BDC and the strengths of the Tavor in close to mid range. My AR15 is zeroed at 100 yards, but has an Elcan Spectre 1-4 optic with BDC set for that out to 500.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom