• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"I carry Mace"

This may seem like a dumb question. If you need an FID to carry in this state, you must need an FID to buy. Where are they getting the Mace? From out of state then transporting it over our borders?

I would tell you, but its a public forum. [wink]

And you are fairly new, so you must work for the AG.

I agree that the law is stupid, should be stricken from the books. . . each year GOAL files a bill to do that, but it never succeeds! [thinking]

However just be aware that at least one very large, highly respected ivy league college in the Boston area is very proud of the fact that they have successfully prosecuted co-eds for possessing OC on campus! Regrettably it is not just a "rule" but a law making someone a criminal for life. [rolleyes] [angry]

I doubt it had anything to do with them not wanting to get her in trouble, and EVERYTHING about some moonbat $hitting themselves that she would DARE (!) cause her attacker pain.

Or maybe they were helping her out so that her unlicensed carrying of mace wouldn't be made more public and thereby reducing the chances of her getting pinched for it.

...But my money's on what you said being correct.

what renewal? I thought FID for mace Was lifelong...no renewal necessary
The MA resident restricted FID (OC only) is $25 and is the same procedure as a FID/LTC (background checks, fingerprints, etc) and expires the same as the FID/LTC (up to 6 years). The renewal for restricted FID is free but its the same BS.

Last edited:
Or maybe they were helping her out so that her unlicensed carrying of mace wouldn't be made more public and thereby reducing the chances of her getting pinched for it.

...But my money's on what you said being correct.

Seeing as the media calls every gun they see a "Glock", think all guns are "registered"....you get the idea....I highly doubt they have even the vaguest clue about licensing, and if she didn't say she doesn't have a license for it, doesn't mean she DOESN'T have one either. Don't give credit where credit isn't due. [wink]

This may seem like a dumb question. If you need an FID to carry in this state, you must need an FID to buy. Where are they getting the Mace? From out of state then transporting it over our borders?
Many sites will ship OC spray to MA without asking for a copy of your FID/LTC. I'm not dropping names though.[tinfoil]

Seeing as the media calls every gun they see a "Glock", think all guns are "registered"....you get the idea....I highly doubt they have even the vaguest clue about licensing, and if she didn't say she doesn't have a license for it, doesn't mean she DOESN'T have one either. Don't give credit where credit isn't due. [wink]

Was trying to give the benefit of the doubt but you killed my dream!

what renewal? I thought FID for mace Was lifelong...no renewal necessary

You still need to renew, but there are supposed to be different rules for a restricted (chemical only) FID. The problem is that many LEO's don't know the rules either. I tried to get my sister to obtain one, but at the police station they didn't understand the difference in requirements and the fee structure, even after I printed it out. She eventually gave up.

I told my girlfriend to carry her mace in school grounds (she went back to school). I dont give a F what the school has to say. 3 girls got raped there last year (not as many as in other MA universities)

Told my wife the same thing. Got her one that looks like a lipstick case. Can't imagine her getting busted for it unless she had to use it and then I would imagine it would be hard to prosecute and save face (and keep out of a GUARANTEED civil suit)

The colleges should start putting up "MACE FREE ZONE" signs[grin].

What they need is rape free zone signs. I'm sure that will put a bigger dent in crime - then no one would have a need to carry mace there in the first place</ obvious sarcasm>

The law is ridiculous and one of my favorite ones to bring up.

Me talking to my cousin visiting me about not talking to the police - not allowing searches, etc.

Cousin: I've got nothing to hide...
Me: Do you have pepper spray with you?
Cousin: Yeah - in my purse.
Me: You're committing a felony...

What they need is rape free zone signs. I'm sure that will put a bigger dent in crime - then no one would have a need to carry mace there in the first place</ obvious sarcasm>

Me talking to my cousin visiting me about not talking to the police - not allowing searches, etc.

Let me guess:

Cousin: [shocked]
You:[hmmm]

What we need is to make rape illegal, that will stop people...OH wait...[thinking]

Six or seven years ago when there were a couple of serial gropers roaming the Harvard campus and apartments the school actually set up a program to help female student get the restricted FID for mace. So, I assumeed that to mean they were ok with students carrying it on campus. My GF at the time was in a grad program at Harvard.

If anyone knows whether STCC or HCC will give permission for students to lawfully carry chemical spray, please PM me. Thank you.

I'm sorry, maybe I missed it, what's the problem here? This is democracy in action. The people don't want mace, ergo, they can't have it. reap/sow.

My daughter will be a freshman at a big well known Boston school and at orientation I asked the Dean of Students in one of the question and answer sessions if a student was duly licensed could they carry pepper spray and the answer was yes. Then to be doubly sure I asked the chief of campus police at the security session and his answer was also yes. So if any of you out there have children or girlfriends who attend a Boston university just ask because maybe it's okay. Too be honest, I was completely shocked that the answer was yes at this university so you just never know.

Thats a law I would openly admit I advise people to work around. No girl should be forced to have no line of protection. Just my .02

Not to mention even in MA it's rarely fully enforced against females. The "police" just steal the canister and warn them not to do it again in the rare even they are caught.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone knows whether STCC or HCC will give permission for students to lawfully carry chemical spray, please PM me. Thank you.

Best bet is to call whatever their public safety number is and ask. See if you can get a hold of whoever is in command and go from there. The answers may surprise some here- it's a lot easier to get permission for OC than it is for a firearm (which isn't happening 99.9999% of the time. ). Particularly if the student is female.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom