• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I CANT F"IN TAKE THIS ANYMORE......... OFFICIAL "WHY I COLLECT" PICS THREAD

Heres another one of my Fav's and IMHO a pretty interesting rifle

Late production 1943 DOU K98 that every piece of metal matches right down to the firing pin and buttplate. The double prefix DOU started out sourcing parts late in 43 and I have been offered a LOT of money for this rifle because its matching and correct What for me makes it more interesting to me is modifications done by the French after capture including unit marking the takedown disk.

DSCN0235.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

I refuse to give in to the guilt/propaganda/hysteria I know we are screwed, but this thread is about WHY we collect and enjoy our hobby and not about the ignorance, hatred, stupidity, and evil that seek to take it away

Last edited:
my 1917 Erfuyrt 9mm.

All matching but the mag.

And yes I shoot it.

Fred

Fred.... if some one is going to mess with the originality of a milsurp, that is the way to do it. That is only the second messed with milsurp that I have seen and liked. Nice. Do you know the story behind it?

Why?

Because I live in America and have the RIGHT to do so.

My rights are tempered by an application process, but I have been duly licensed to carry concealed for 22 years and Federally licensed as a collector of curios and relics for the past five years.

I have served the greater good as a Federal and State Law Enforcement officer.

My father served in the army; 1960-1967.

My father's father lost three cousins in the Pacific; Two at Iwo Jima and one at Tarawa. His younger brother served in the Navy and was wounded in WWII.

My mother's father was active in the Danish underground.

I have re-enacted the American Civil War for almost 20 years.

I have educated children for 17 years.

I have belonged to various gun clubs for more than 15 years.

[iwojima]

Why? Because I live in America and I have the RIGHT to do so.

MS

Fred.... if some one is going to mess with the originality of a milsurp, that is the way to do it. That is only the second messed with milsurp that I have seen and liked. Nice. Do you know the story behind it?

No I do not, I saw it and liked and said I had to have it.

The dealer did not know anything about it.

Fred

Why?

Because I live in America and have the RIGHT to do so.

My rights are tempered by an application process, but I have been duly licensed to carry concealed for 22 years and Federally licensed as a collector of curios and relics for the past five years.

I have served the greater good as a Federal and State Law Enforcement officer.

My father served in the army; 1960-1967.

My father's father lost three cousins in the Pacific; Two at Iwo Jima and one at Tarawa. His younger brother served in the Navy and was wounded in WWII.

My mother's father was active in the Danish underground.

I have re-enacted the American Civil War for almost 20 years.

I have educated children for 17 years.

I have belonged to various gun clubs for more than 15 years.

[iwojima]

Why? Because I live in America and I have the RIGHT to do so.

MS

I like it. I only have one answer. Because my creator gave me the right to and no law or government can take it away. With out the tools for self defence, we do not have the ability. Stuff it if you do not like it. Take it up with God.

I think we can fight this and win. I think we all need to become focused on our RTKBA and on keeping the balance of power where it needs to be in this country. We need to let those in washington and the press know that we are serious and we need to protest, write letters, donate money and speak out. There are 50 million of us. United that is one hell of a loud voice.

Oh yeah.... I do not want to stray away from the intent of this thread...... so.... this is a milsurp. Former Romanion Army model 1965 built on a American made receiver and has all the US compliance parts. All matching, except the receiver off course.

View attachment 47795

I refuse to give in to the guilt/propaganda/hysteria I know we are screwed, but this thread is about WHY we collect and enjoy our hobby and not about the ignorance, hatred, stupidity, and evil that seek to take it away

Because DRB asked "why?"

MS

One of my favorites...1916 Contract Gew98, V. Chr. Schilling. Weimar Republic Property mark, 1920. Overhauled in the '20s, given a Krupp replacement barrel. Reworked and modified by Spandau c. 1936 into a Gew98M with wide rear band and S/42K sight base and a S/42G tangent rear sight. Served with the BahnSchutz, or German RailWay Police and branded with their property mark. Bolt MM, front band MM, trigger screw MM, but screws are timed correctly and probably original to the rebuild.

Last edited:
For so many reasons I never thought this would be a picture I would have. Thanks to so many NES'ers for making it happen!

attherange.jpg

Last edited:
A piece of advice; don't use Palmolive dish washing liquid in the dish washer (we were out). Suds all over the kitchen [rofl]. Who'd have thunk it?

MS
[banana]

I know, I know. Half way through cleaning, I thought the guys would have really liked to have seen this. But maybe it's better this way; the imagination is a powerful thing. Any other old-timers here may remember Jack Lemmon in "Mr. Roberts" (1955) - the laundry scene...

MS

Edit:

Here's what went through the floor into the basement...

Last edited:
IMAG2933.jpg
My Swiss Model 1896/11. This rifle was originally made in 1896, although re-barreled sometime between 1913 and 1920.

IMAG2935.jpg IMAG2928.jpg
Big "P" stamp for when it was mustered out of the Swiss army and into private hands.

IMAG2927.jpg
Elevation adjustments up to 2000 meters. [smile]

IMAG2932.jpg IMAG2931.jpg
Bolt compared to "modern" K-31.

IMAG2938.jpg
Actual 5 round group from 100 yards

I know, I know. Half way through cleaning, I thought the guys would have really liked to have seen this. But maybe it's better this way; the imagination is a powerful thing. Any other old-timers here may remember Jack Lemmon in "Mr. Roberts" (1955) - the laundry scene...

MS

Edit:

Here's what went through the floor into the basement...

OH CRAP!

I bet I know which one is your favorite picture! What an adorable Granddaughter you have, and I bet she just loves the time she spends with her Grandpa. Merry Christmas, Pilgrim

Thought about selling it a couple times, but not often find a correct original early savage with savage sling and bayonet ....

I have a all correct early savage, including the bayonet. Unfortunately some asshat billboard marked the receiver with the import mark. Truly sad, but still in my safe

Back
Top Bottom