• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I cannot find this answer...rifle storage

bender73

NES Member
I have a small safe for my handgun. I keep this safe in a securely locked closet. I have the opportunity to get an M&P 15-22 rifle. However, I may not be able to get a bigger rifle safe or cabinet for a few weeks. Can I properly store a .22lr rifle in this locked closet with a cable lock or trigger lock and be complaint? I know it will be super kid safe with the ammo locked away with the pistol. But, is it ok for MA compliance? This is why I cannot stand MA! Thanks.

Section 131L. (a) It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

The trigger lock is sufficient.

It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device,

Can I properly store a .22lr rifle in this locked closet with a cable lock or trigger lock and be complaint?

Yes. A cable or trigger lock alone is sufficient to satisfy the statute...

MGL 140-131L said:
...secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user.

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131l

Wow, I didn't know that! Not for lack of training so much as so many rules I can't remember them all.

I've got one locked away, the case is locked, and there's a trigger lock. lol Talk about overkill!

While it's not quite explicit in the law, the "securely locked closet" you mention would also satisfy the legal requirements by itself as a "locked container".

Ken

You're going to need a locked case to transport the firearm, so just keep it in the case and add a trigger lock to it.

If you have 10-14 yr old boys home alone during the day, I would have both a trigger lock and a locked closet, with keys locked in the car.

To be clear - the cable lock must make the gun inoperable to be in compliance.

It is possible to run a cable lock through the trigger guard and secure it to something, but the gun could still be fired, in which case you have not made it inoperable.

Back
Top Bottom