• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I cannot believe nobody has posted this.

I don't think it would be possible for you to bring enough ammo by yourself. Unless you have an 18-wheeler full of it
Ya,as I was typing this I realized it was a bad idea....oh well, bring in the 18 wheeler

I investigated this about 10 years ago. I ended up not being able to come to any agreement on basic ground rules, so I bought my own parcel.

My struggle with it....is spending enough time up there, as I have to work more than I'd like to retain/maintain it when little gifts from mother nature like needing 300 dump truck loads of fill to put your driveway back in after a rain storm comes.

So if you're planning it, also plan for a reserve/escrow, because some bills can't wait for a co-owner to pay 'when I get around to getting caught up'.

As a matter of fact, there should be verbiage that causes forfeiture of the initial investment if it goes past 'x' days late on a bill without a really, really good reason.

As a matter of fact, there should be verbiage that causes forfeiture of the initial investment if it goes past 'x' days late on a bill without a really, really good reason.
And this is why these things don't work out. Subjective terms like "Really Really Good" mean different things to different people and this changes over time. You would have to list out every reason, being very specific. Just imagine how long this would be and how long it would take to put together. The other option is No Exceptions. Simple, to the point, easy to interpret. But you're all friends, and wouldn't you want to give your buddy a break, what with him falling on hard times. Except someone else in the group doesn't agree... and so the division starts.

I investigated this about 10 years ago. I ended up not being able to come to any agreement on basic ground rules, so I bought my own parcel.

My struggle with it....is spending enough time up there, as I have to work more than I'd like to retain/maintain it when little gifts from mother nature like needing 300 dump truck loads of fill to put your driveway back in after a rain storm comes.

So if you're planning it, also plan for a reserve/escrow, because some bills can't wait for a co-owner to pay 'when I get around to getting caught up'.

And this is why these things don't work out. Subjective terms like "Really Really Good" mean different things to different people and this changes over time. You would have to list out every reason, being very specific. Just imagine how long this would be and how long it would take to put together. The other option is No Exceptions. Simple, to the point, easy to interpret. But you're all friends, and wouldn't you want to give your buddy a break, what with him falling on hard times. Except someone else in the group doesn't agree... and so the division starts.

Realistically these problems could be dealt with by a diligent trustee. The initial purpose of a trustee was to maintain land for beneficiaries who could not own it outright (medieval monks). Beneficiaries have the authority to enforce the conditions of the trust against the trustee (pay the bills, take care of the land personally or by hiring people, invest the trust's resources responsibly).

Something like this has to be managed like a business to be successful.

Last edited by a moderator:
northern Maine you can get a 3,000 acre parcel...at least you could several years ago....

I only say that much because every gun club has been encroached upon by developers and you can see the problems that has created. A shooting range in the middle of 3,000 acres should eliminate any of those types of encroachments.

northern Maine you can get a 3,000 acre parcel...at least you could several years ago....

I only say that much because every gun club has been encroached upon by developers and you can see the problems that has created. A shooting range in the middle of 3,000 acres should eliminate any of those types of encroachments.

but...you have to drive there.

If I push, I can get to our place in NH in 2 hours flat with no stops. Usually, there is a stop at tractor supply/walmart/o'reilly's/hardware store in Plymouth.

I'm 15 miles from civilization when I'm up there. Far enough away.

I've got to imagine a 3000 acre parcel would be 4? 5? 6?? hours.....

And then there'$ getting power, well$ and $eptic to it.

If I push, I can get to our place in NH in 2 hours flat with no stops. Usually, there is a stop at tractor supply/walmart/o'reilly's/hardware store in Plymouth.

Ya, 2 hours is a comfortable spot. For enough land I’d do 3, but that’s the limit.

Yeah it's up there. definitely a ride for sure. Haven't looked in a while but has to be probably 4 or so hours easily.....

I have put a lot of thought into this having a place in southern Maine last year I looked a several 100 acre plus parcels. Got vetoed from my partner on every one (wife) approached several of my close friends no on wanted to pull the trigger. It is possible if you really had serious people Involved. My self was going for old farms because infrastructure is all ready there. And you can get financed where it's hard to for just land. I will keep working on my partner. But if there is a serious setup maybe interested

Ya, 2 hours is a comfortable spot. For enough land I’d do 3, but that’s the limit.

Now we need an airstrip...

This whole idea would make a great reality show. Take a bunch of anti-government folks and have them try to form their own town with the only requirements that there be a common shooting range [and airport?].

Now we need an airstrip...

This whole idea would make a great reality show. Take a bunch of anti-government folks and have them try to form their own town with the only requirements that there be a common shooting range [and airport?].

That's hilarious.

I had enough trouble just with the (way) better half finishing the house up there. It came out beautifully, but the budget got slaughtered.

There was a serious discussion a few years ago that seemed to have land picked out and an area for a community garden, small scale livestock etc.
But then there would be rules and all the what if's killed it. I don't think it's a bad idea. I'd rather have most people from this group as neighbors rather than some of the crazy libs that are up here.

An easier plan would be for a group to find a town or area they like and then gradually take it over.
You could call it the 'Free Town Project' or something. Maybe go bigger and try a whole state.
[smile]

Back
Top Bottom