• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I cannot believe nobody has posted this.

Let’s run this out hypothetically. 25 NESr’s buy a plot of land together.
One of them brings a couple of friends (non-owners) to go shooting. One of them acts unsafe and shoots the other. The family decides there is a lawsuit. Can they sue all the landowners?

I dare you to get a group of NESer's, larger than a single digit number, together and have them agree on ANYTHING, much less a land purchase.

We may be able to get together for a civil and fun dinner, or to shoot up an old car....but agree on something like this?

Don't tell me what I will and won't agree upon! [pot] [laugh]

Let’s run this out hypothetically. 25 NESr’s buy a plot of land together.
One of them brings a couple of friends (non-owners) to go shooting. One of them acts unsafe and shoots the other. The family decides there is a lawsuit. Can they sue all the landowners?

IANAL

The question is how everyone owns the land. If everyone owns the land as joint tenants or tenants in common (every member's name is on the deed), then yeah, all the landowners can probably be sued. If the land is owned by a corporation or a trust, the corporation or trust can be sued as an independent entity owned by the members. Put another way, the company can be sued and targeted, but the individual members cannot.

Of course, this is assuming the members were too ignorant to enact a series of waivers, controls, and protections against either a shooting or a law suit. You can't stop a suicide 100% of the time at a range, but most stupidity can be prevented. A clear set of waivers and assumption of risk documents would be helpful against potential litigation.

First, the idea of both a group land buy and a group town buy have been floated:

Day Dreaming: Incorporating a NES Town

The idea of a group buy on land has been floated before. How about Iceland?

Second, if the group was legitimately serious (like say if the case against Maura Healey went seriously south or if some atrocious bills got passed and things were simply not tenable for gun owners in Mass/CT/RI, etc.), we could probably buy a town like the colonial settlers did from natives.

Unorganized Townships | ME-Somerset County, Maine | Official Website

Large parts of Maine are still undeveloped townships. To get a functioning settlement going with a full economy, you need waves of settlers (and funding and supplies). The Winthrop Fleet was about 700-1000 Puritans and they needed re-supply in a year. Obviously we wouldn't be starving, but a project like this would need continual funding and some form of potential income to tap into and "export", like the settlers did with agricultural products, furs, and eventually manufactured goods. NES craft breweries and distilleries?

A large degree of planning would be necessary to build a community properly, rather than a bunch of people living in some strange "commune" or "compound." Expect ATF raids if you call it a compound. Large amounts of people with blue collar knowledge and some professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, merchants [stores, gas stations, commercial endeavors, etc.]) would be necessary. The most important thing, however, is families.
Lighten up Francis. My idea was like 100-200 acres, we could buy the adjacent land as we go

Lighten up Francis. My idea was like 100-200 acres, we could buy the adjacent land as we go

I don't think either idea, a piece of land or a town, would work. As others have said, once you get down to the money discussion and the rules-making, people will bail. Simple fact of life in any situation. Unless there were to be some extenuating circumstance like Nick Matiello (RI House Speaker) dies and all 30 gun control bills become law this year in RI, thus making thousands of RI'ers felons.

The safest idea and most probable would be having 1-12 NES'ers join together to open a rental range and gun store. Run it as a corporate-owned gun store and rental range. NES life members have access for free or a very reduced cost. Veterans, retirees, and students also get a reduced rate. Regular, paid NES members get the next smallest discount. Plain NES members get a slight discount. Public pays full price.

You can do a gun store, but as other threads since before 2010 have shown, no one is actually going to step forward to buy land (or a town) barring any extreme circumstances.

I dare you to get a group of NESer's, larger than a single digit number, together and have them agree on ANYTHING, much less a land purchase.

We may be able to get together for a civil and fun dinner, or to shoot up an old car....but agree on something like this?

You may be right, and I agree with you but what the hell, just have to write it up somehow so no one can f it up. I not sure if this is possible.....

can we make it a sanctuary town?

Put it in bylaws that US constitution is the supreme law of the land, if you don't understand what "shall not infringed means" is then you can not join. No rulings by 90yo SCJ are needed to figure out what the Constitution means. LEOs on duty are not allowed. We don't talk about what goes on there.

This still like it would quickly deteriorate into a cult, and them some anti-government anarchy that ends with Federal agents throwing grenades.

I'm in for a grand.

the only way to prevent it is to make it a cult first with well defined rules, incorporate as "church" of freedom and other cool shit.

There was a serious discussion a few years ago that seemed to have land picked out and an area for a community garden, small scale livestock etc.
But then there would be rules and all the what if's killed it. I don't think it's a bad idea. I'd rather have most people from this group as neighbors rather than some of the crazy libs that are up here.

An easier plan would be for a group to find a town or area they like and then gradually take it over.
Buy unincorporated land, Kentucky is good for this, incorporate your own town with a charter that is very specific and difficult to change.

dQ6i7nk.gif

the way some guys post about tossing around money, like the guy who spends 20k/year for kiddie dance lessons, then this is very doable for 5 like minded people to throw in 5k ea to buy that property for 25,000. just do it!

and 2/3rds of them died by the 2nd year.

History glosses over that part ;) Once things got more organized, investors bought land from natives and sold to prospective settlers. For instance, investors bought Jamestown, RI in 1657 and divided it up into 12 plots with common areas reserved for grazing. Not much starvation because the investors came from already established colonies on Aquidneck Island.

Jamestown and Newport RI History

An endeavor like this wouldn't lead to starvation but most assuredly could lead to bankruptcy.

only an interesting idea to the handful of people who live close enough to be able to use it. [wink]

For a $1000 bucks in Nirvana (not the band), I'll live in a foxhole...

iu

I ain't cheap, but I am thrifty...
~Enbloc

There's multiple 100+ acre plots in Maine for sale for 50-70k, and can be found cheaper with the right connection. My property taxes on my 100 acres is $368 for this year. No building codes, no zoning laws in my town. Ruby red as far as politics go, and I'm 10mins from civilization.

Back
Top Bottom