• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I cannot believe nobody has posted this.

It’s been discussed, though I’m not sure how seriously.
This. Maybe 3-4 years ago. Sort of a prepper/shooting range type compound that kind of petered out when they really got into the details of how it would work iirc.

There was a serious discussion a few years ago that seemed to have land picked out and an area for a community garden, small scale livestock etc.
But then there would be rules and all the what if's killed it. I don't think it's a bad idea. I'd rather have most people from this group as neighbors rather than some of the crazy libs that are up here.

An easier plan would be for a group to find a town or area they like and then gradually take it over.

deercrop.JPG
Haha no shit I’m off Ridge rd. Is that you I hear on the weekend? Invite me to your shooting spot. Lmao
No, I don't live in Deerfield, I live in Salem NH. You might hear me shooting there! Not so much now, a house got built back near mine, but still legal distance away. I've taken 11 deer right in my backyard.

I'm guessing that buying it would be the easy part. The hard part would be down the road when it's time to pay the property taxes. As the original purchasers move on you'll need new owners/members to pay. The fewer the members the bigger the bill for the remaining members.
Then there is the issue of usage. You'll have different ideas about how the land will be used. Some people will want certain rules, other will want other rules, etc.
Next thing you know it will be the XYZ Sportsmans Club and and you can only shoot Italian over/under shotguns with titanium number 6s, and only on Tuesdays from 2:00 to 2:30. And only after you've attended 4 hours of range training.
But you can count me in. As long as I can be vice president in charge of the pistol range rules committee which will hold mandatory meetings every Sunday at 4:30 am.
Obviously I'm kidding. I would never belong to a club that would have someone like me as a member.

I'm guessing that buying it would be the easy part. The hard part would be down the road when it's time to pay the property taxes. As the original purchasers move on you'll need new owners/members to pay. The fewer the members the bigger the bill for the remaining members.
Then there is the issue of usage. You'll have different ideas about how the land will be used. Some people will want certain rules, other will want other rules, etc.
Next thing you know it will be the XYZ Sportsmans Club and and you can only shoot Italian over/under shotguns with titanium number 6s, and only on Tuesdays from 2:00 to 2:30. And only after you've attended 4 hours of range training.
But you can count me in. As long as I can be vice president in charge of the pistol range rules committee which will hold mandatory meetings every Sunday at 4:30 am.
HAHAHA.… Tax Bill?????? Try $14 a year! When I bought this land about 25 years ago, the bank that owned it was paying $300 a year. I put it into Current Use, and that dropped it down to about $10 a year back then.

Just tossing it out there. I think with enough members we make a trust, a small buy in and a small yearly buy in. Since its land ie some improvements costs should be low.
It’s gonna be near my house right?

Islamberg did it.....and nobody ( authoritaaaaays) dares venture there and harrass them.....and thats in gun unfriendly New Yaaaaaaauuuuukkk.

If its going to be done, it had better be done soon......or just wait for the civil war to start then ALL the land is yours.....if you can control it.

HAHAHA.… Tax Bill?????? Try $14 a year! When I bought this land about 25 years ago, the bank that owned it was paying $300 a year. I put it into Current Use, and that dropped it down to about $10 a year back then.
No shit? I thought property tax up in Nude Hamster was crazy high. That sounds more like Tennessee prices. Good to know.

An easier plan would be for a group to find a town or area they like and then gradually take it over.

Mini Free State Project. Start small and work up.

First, the idea of both a group land buy and a group town buy have been floated:

Day Dreaming: Incorporating a NES Town

The idea of a group buy on land has been floated before. How about Iceland?

Second, if the group was legitimately serious (like say if the case against Maura Healey went seriously south or if some atrocious bills got passed and things were simply not tenable for gun owners in Mass/CT/RI, etc.), we could probably buy a town like the colonial settlers did from natives.

Unorganized Townships | ME-Somerset County, Maine | Official Website

Large parts of Maine are still undeveloped townships. To get a functioning settlement going with a full economy, you need waves of settlers (and funding and supplies). The Winthrop Fleet was about 700-1000 Puritans and they needed re-supply in a year. Obviously we wouldn't be starving, but a project like this would need continual funding and some form of potential income to tap into and "export", like the settlers did with agricultural products, furs, and eventually manufactured goods. NES craft breweries and distilleries?

A large degree of planning would be necessary to build a community properly, rather than a bunch of people living in some strange "commune" or "compound." Expect ATF raids if you call it a compound. Large amounts of people with blue collar knowledge and some professionals (doctors, lawyers, accountants, merchants [stores, gas stations, commercial endeavors, etc.]) would be necessary. The most important thing, however, is families.

Could we just take over one of those unorganized townships and re-name it Perfection?

Just for fun, I looked up the value of a township in Maine. West Forks Plantation (population 60) in Somerset County has an assessed value of $19.8 million as of this year:

https://www.maine.gov/revenue/propertytax/sidebar/2019_state_valuation.pdf

NES has, as of the time of this post, 47,193 members. Assume 500 are interested and willing to pony up cash. That's roughly a $39,600 bill for each member assuming everyone pays an equal share in order to buy the plantation. A truly uninhabited township/plantation would be cheaper, I assume.

Back
Top Bottom