• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I built an AK.

y2apa2ab.jpg

So if one doesn't have any of the special tools to build an AK, what kind of $$ cost would be involved to "tool up"?

So if one doesn't have any of the special tools to build an AK, what kind of $$ cost would be involved to "tool up"?

380$ more or less for all toth ak tools .plus you'll need other basic hand tools and reamers.
http://www.tothtool.com/AK47-Tools_c_1.html
Plus bolt cutters....

Really depends on how much of a build your doing, corners you want to cut etc.

I have the tools if you ever want to come over and use them. I would be willing to help out one person at a time.

Maybe after christmas I can get some funds together to buy parts and then solicit (beg?) one of our kind NES members for assistance.

I still find it funny how the AR15 with it's "space age" aluminum and so-on can be assembled so easily (practically put the parts in a bag and shake) and yet the AK, designed such that a peasant with no education can operate and maintain it, actually requires some skill to assemble.

I now have a small shop that I would let select NES'ers use to finish their builds. Certain rules would apply. Chop off a finger, you clean it up. You break it, you bought it. You steal it, well that would be bad.

It really depends on how tooled up you want to get. If you want to start only with 100% receivers and work with the minimum amount of tooling, you could probably get away with @$400. If you want to start with 80%ers, be able to press barrels, have a real rivet jig vs bolt cutters etc. You will be over 1K. All this is assuming you already have the basics like a drill press, vise, files, hammers, punches etc.

To me putting together a firearm using any parts that require a 4473, is not really building. But in any event assembling an AK is way closer to building than screwing together an AR using a 100% lower.

It really depends on how tooled up you want to get. If you want to start only with 100% receivers and work with the minimum amount of tooling, you could probably get away with @$400. If you want to start with 80%ers, be able to press barrels, have a real rivet jig vs bolt cutters etc. You will be over 1K. All this is assuming you already have the basics like a drill press, vise, files, hammers, punches etc.

To me putting together a firearm using any parts that require a 4473, is not really building. But in any event assembling an AK is way closer to building than screwing together an AR using a 100% lower.

Yeah, I have the basics, and also a dremel. I'm fine with jury rigged kinda setups too so long as it's not real awkward.

I should start watching some videos on how to do this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom