• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am not sure which city police dept, please help!

Hello everyone,

My name is Samantha and I am inquiring about how to get a LTC. The reasoning for doing so is because I had an incident occur while at work. I was sitting in my car, and I noticed a suspicious guy stumbling across the parking lot. He was about 30 ft away from my car. He sees that I was staring at him and within a split second he is now about a foot away from my passenger side. He is just standing there, glaring at me with his legs wide apart and his arms folded. He gave me this nasty look as if he was about to rape/murder me. I was so scared for my life.

So here is my dilemma:

I currently own 2 houses: one in Billerica (green) and the other in Malden (also green). My drivers license has the Billerica address but I physically live in Malden. Which city would I apply for it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

They are going to ask you for your drivers license. I had old checks from my previous residence and he questioned that. You REALLY don't want to lie to them. If you actually live in the town your license is not for change your address with the registry and then apply. It's important that you are truthful about every aspect of the process. Being untruthful can get you a denial. Then you'll be in a world of pain.

Go to RMV online and change your driver's license address to Malden. Take a firearm safety class. Then go apply in Malden.

Thank you everyone for the replies. So you think I have a better shot going to the Malden PD?
You actually live in Malden, so you should change your driver's license to reflect that fact, and you should apply there as well. And since it is green, you shouldn't have a problem.

Malden Police are Green but they have paperwork....

Samantha,

Welcome to the NES Forum! Here are the links that may help you out with starting the paperwork and understanding what is required down there in Malden.

http://www.maldenpd.com/newweb/FAQ/FAQ.htm#LTC

Firearm Licensing
License to Carry a Firearm (LTC) & Firearms Identification Card (FID)
Applications for a License to Carry and Firearms Identification Card are available at Malden PD headquarters or online at http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/frb_fid_lic_app.pdf . NOTE: Pictures will be taken at time of application; the applicant does not need to provide them.

Applicant must secure three letters of recommendation, excluding family members, attesting to the applicant's character, with specific reference to their application to carry a firearm. NOTE: Reference letters must include name, address, telephone number and signature of the person who is making the referral. Malden residents who are renewing their licenses do not need reference letters.

Applicants must complete a firearms safety or hunter safety course taught by a Mass. State Police or NRA certified instructor. A copy of the course certificate must be attached to the application.

Complete the application and submit together with proof of Malden residence (utility bill required) and reference letters and course certificate (if applicable) to Beverly Smith at Malden PD headquarters on one of the following days: Mondays 9am-1130am, Tuesdays 1pm-6pm, Wednesdays 9am-1130am.

Total fee is $100.00 (cash or check only)

Naturalized citizens must provide documentation of same.

Questions can be directed to Beverly Smith at 781-397-7171 during business hours or via email
: [email protected].

The good thing is Attorney Ed George, huge supporter of 2nd Ammendment & GOAL, is directly across the street. Only if you run into any problems which I do not forsee for you hopefully.

http://www.edgeorgelaw.com/Page_NBD9.html

I would correct your DL online ASAP and download the application and start with the references. You should not have any problems as a Home Owner.[thumbsup]

Good Luck!

PM Sent.

Last edited:
Also there is a great club in Malden, Mystic Valley gun club. Great place to shoot. There are a few of us here who are members there.

Samantha,

I am sorry that you had this happen to you. There are a lot of scary people out there. Most are harmless, some certainly not. I hope your desire to get your license and a firearm is not just a knee jerk reaction to a scary situation.

But I have to ask a few questions. Do you have firearm experience? Have you fired pistol/revolvers before? IF you had had a firearm that day, would you have pulled it out and displayed it? Would you have fired it?

Carrying a firearm also carried a huge responsibility. Especially in Massachusetts where it seems they would rather chalk a body on the ground than allow someone to actually protect oneself.

I am certainly not saying you shouldn’t proceed in getting your carry license and have the ability to protect yourself. I just hope you have fully thought out what it means to actually use it. It’s something you have to live with long after the state has judged your actions.

When you get your license and then a firearm, don’t just keep it in a draw or pocketbook till they day you need it. Take it to the range often. Get skilled in handling it. There are protections classes you can take. Sig Sauer in NH has some great class and you learn good shooting skills from some pretty great people.

If you ever need to have to pull a firearm, be ready to actually use it. A lot of folks get hurt when they aren’t really ready to shoot someone and their firearm is taken away from them and used against them. And remember, once you pull the trigger, you can’t get the bullet back.

Best of luck to you.

Samantha,

I am sorry that you had this happen to you. There are a lot of scary people out there. Most are harmless, some certainly not. I hope your desire to get your license and a firearm is not just a knee jerk reaction to a scary situation.

But I have to ask a few questions. Do you have firearm experience? Have you fired pistol/revolvers before? IF you had had a firearm that day, would you have pulled it out and displayed it? Would you have fired it?

Carrying a firearm also carried a huge responsibility. Especially in Massachusetts where it seems they would rather chalk a body on the ground than allow someone to actually protect oneself.

I am certainly not saying you shouldn’t proceed in getting your carry license and have the ability to protect yourself. I just hope you have fully thought out what it means to actually use it. It’s something you have to live with long after the state has judged your actions.

When you get your license and then a firearm, don’t just keep it in a draw or pocketbook till they day you need it. Take it to the range often. Get skilled in handling it. There are protections classes you can take. Sig Sauer in NH has some great class and you learn good shooting skills from some pretty great people.

If you ever need to have to pull a firearm, be ready to actually use it. A lot of folks get hurt when they aren’t really ready to shoot someone and their firearm is taken away from them and used against them. And remember, once you pull the trigger, you can’t get the bullet back.

Best of luck to you.

Excellent advice.

Hey there,

Yes it was definitely a scary incident. I was texting on my phone one second and I quickly looked up and he was by my car. I do work really late and with my job I do encounter all types of people. Most of them are sketchy. Wanting to get it is definitely not a knee jerk reaction by any means. I would just like to be able to protect myself if I needed to. I was also possibly thinking about getting an FID card to carry a mase.

As far as experience goes, my sister has her LTC. She belongs to a gun club up in Dracut where she takes me shooting once in a while. I am not young and do realize the responsibility that comes along with it. I did sign up for a gun safety class to get me started in this process.

Thanks for the advice.

Not to pick on you but if I may give some additonal advice. Once you leave your place of enployment leave your cell phone/blackberry handy but don't talk or text on it while walking to your car. Any kind of distraction is detrimental to your safety.
Wait till you get home to call/text,your life and health is more important than any text or phone call you may receive. Good luck in getting your LTC.

No matter which city you apply in, I suggest a cover letter mentioning you own houses in both town but maintain your drivers license and legal residence in the town of application. While most green towns won't care, this will insulate you from any possibility you lied about your application. This probably won't happen in a green town, but Brookline rejected someone who had two addresses when their investigation uncovered the other one - and Brookline being Brookline, the department naturally declared that other one was the real address and rejected the application.

Also, I strongly suggest you do not mention the "at work" incident (or, if you do, don't mention the "at work" part) unless your employer will provide a letter stating you have permission to be armed on company property. While not statutorily required, the minute someone uses "work" as a reason, a common tactic is to respond with "OK, prove your employer allows you to be armed and this will be approved". Once again, if you are applying in a green town, the incident is not going to be necessary - but if you try to use it in a red town, you could step into the "work/permission trap".

Welcome to NES!

Good luck with your application. Please try to be aware as much as possible. Bad guys like to pick targets that look weak and unaware.

Samantha,

I always lock my doors once I get into my car unless I immediately put it into drive (this causes the doors to lock). If I need to text or talk or sit and wait for someone this assures me that not just anyone is going to be able to come up and hop in my car or pull me out.

Take care.

Samantha,

I always lock my doors once I get into my car unless I immediately put it into drive (this causes the doors to lock). If I need to text or talk or sit and wait for someone this assures me that not just anyone is going to be able to come up and hop in my car or pull me out.

Take care.

i just slow-walk and light up a camel on the way to my car. that lets food know NOT to even try me.

when i get into my car, i click the saftey off on my glock 7 because i mean business [laugh]

i just slow-walk and light up a camel on the way to my car. that lets food know NOT to even try me.

when i get into my car, i click the saftey off on my glock 7 because i mean business [laugh]

images

You do not need to get the FID in addition to your LTC to carry mace. Best of luck for a quick and painless LTC process.

I do realize this. I mentioned getting an FID card instead of a LTC (if I ran into any issues in this process). But thank you for your advice. :)

Not to pick on you but if I may give some additonal advice. Once you leave your place of enployment leave your cell phone/blackberry handy but don't talk or text on it while walking to your car. Any kind of distraction is detrimental to your safety.
Wait till you get home to call/text,your life and health is more important than any text or phone call you may receive. Good luck in getting your LTC.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could keep my cell handy but I can't due to work policy. In my line of work, I deal with the public (Wicked late at night when all the creeps come out), we aren't allowed to carry any type of weapons (Wasn't going to carry while on duty, but in my car), and we aren't allowed to carry cell phones. Which sucks because they don't provide any security! I don't really feel safe there.

You might also consider a RAD class, or something similar, in the meantime. Also, once you're licensed, I'd be wary of leaving a loaded handgun in my car, especially in a sketchy area. Also, I don't know what line of work you are in, but make sure you aren't prohibited by law from possessing firearms at your place of employment. Good luck with the process and stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom