• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am looking for a .380 carry......

I saw some Beretta 82 at Four Seasons, used, that looked really nice

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg108-e.htm

I never fired one though. I held it and thought it was a good size and shape for my hand.

I have an 85FS and find it to be a very reliable shooter. Holds one round more than the PPK/S, and the decocking lever uses a downward motion to make it ready to fire (the PPK/S is upward). That downward motion seems more intuitive to me, given that I frequently carry a 1911, and the safety on that also is downward to make it ready to fire.

I picked up a Makarov in .380 from an NESr here this past summer for $250. Shoots great with no problems, is very accurate, and the size is nice too. Good Russian quality pistol.

Mustang. Small & flat , fits in you pocket , disapears on your belt , shoots tight little groups @ 21 feet , trigger reset is about an eighth of an inch. And it's a baby 1911 , sort of.

I grabbed mine on the way out the door this evening to a place where a full sized Sig would be irritating.

Zero Hour Arms has some AMT .380 Backups. SS, easy to hide in a back pocket. Trigger is tough, but it might be worth your looking at.

PPK/s is a great .380, but considerably bigger than the AMT.

I owned one of the early models (known as OMC Backup) and later replaced it with a PPK/s, so I do know both guns.

At various times I've owned Colt, Sig and Seecamp. These are all fine guns but I never trusted them entirely and I certainly don't have all that much confidence in .380 stopping power. So, I no longer own any of the above pistols.

My smallest CCW is the S&W 340SC--very light, conceals very well, adequate power in .38 +P (I'd never load it with .357 magnum) and most importantly I have confidence that it will go Boom! every time.

Yikes! I repressed the memory of once owning a .380 AMT Backup. I bought it when they first came out (it had wooden grips in that early incarnation). It was without a doubt the worst gun I've ever owned.

It was a single shot gun. It ALWAYS jammed. It didn't matter what ammo, magazine changes made no difference. YMMV though.

I also had one of the first ones. It was tigerwood (or some such) for the early grips . . . very nice looking.

I never had jams and I reloaded HPs for it. I don't think mine ever saw any factory ammo thru it.

I guess MMV'd! [wink]

Never shot a PPK, but sure as hell are cute lil suckers. Kinda big for a .380 though. I'd keep an eye out for a colt mustang or pony. I sold my MA legal one a few weeks ago. Kinda pricey though, Carl (Four Seasons) said that book value was 6-700 depending on condition! [shocked]

I have a PPK-S very accurate for a short barreled gun, but I dont trust the reliabilty to feed and eject yet.

I bought a spring kit tried a lighter one than stock much better but still needs tweeking.

Needs better grips, hurts my hand when shooting.

I also had one of the first ones. It was tigerwood (or some such) for the early grips . . . very nice looking.

I never had jams and I reloaded HPs for it. I don't think mine ever saw any factory ammo thru it.

I guess MMV'd! [wink]

Likewise, except I could never find enough of the brass to bother reloading!
The little sucker throws the brass fast and far.

If you want a nice handling primary 380 Walther or SigSauer.

If you want a BUG, where size is critical, KelTec P3aT is perfect.

Check out the two I have posted under WTS/handguns. A Sig P238 .380 and a Cobra .32 ( Go to the search box in upper right and type in Sig P238.

- - - Updated - - -

Check out the two I have posted under WTS/handguns. A Sig P238 .380 and a Cobra .32 ( Go to the search box in upper right and type in Sig P238.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? This thread is from 2006.

If you're gonna plug your add, find something current at least

FYI , the 238 SIG and colt Mustangs have compatible magazines.

Because they are the same gun basically. Except the SIGs are prettier and have better sights. .

I have a Kel-Tec P11 9mm. It holds 10 rds and is the size of most .380
pistols. The real question might be "What is the smallest reasonable
defensive pistol out there?". If you want more input, tell us, why a .380?
What do you plan on doing with it? How experienced are you?

F
go with a keltec, trayvon had no complaints

- - - Updated - - -

I see that you are newb here but just so you know, necroing super old threads just to peddle your wares is seriously frowned upon here...

FWIW, my girlfriend bought a Sig p238 at Four Seasons about a year ago. It's very small and very light, she's very accurate with it. I struggle with it because it's so small, that my hands are too big for it. I don't really like it because of that. It also has a limited capacity 6 or 7 round mag (can't remember). It was pricey too (think we paid around $650 for the model with rosewood grips). I think it's a great carry piece for her and if someone was looking for a nice high quality small carry piece in .380 and could afford the pricetag, that might be something you want to look at. But if you have larger hands, I don't think you'll like it.

Sig 238 - very nice 380 and very compact. I have not shot my a whole lot yet so I can't give a personal review, but there are A LOT online. I was torn between the Bodyguard 380 from S&W and the 238 and am happy I went with the Sig.

Back
Top Bottom