I am just curious (not a hunter) - why bow hunting over a rifle?

1137_D308-_B1_B6-48_F7-_BA94-35_BEE54_CCEDF.jpg
Pretty much yup.

I'm not saying they're not good stewards with regard to hunting, but I know more than one bow hunter who does so because they're prohibited from possessing firearms.
Aaaand.....there's that reason too. :)

Bowhunting gets you a longer season and you don't need hearing protection (I use walker game ears if I gun hunt, I'm deaf enough as it is). A lot of the woods in this part of the country are thick without long shots anyway, unless you're hunting over a field there isn't a huge advantage to gun hunting just a small one. I don't see why we don't have a rifle season for deer in MA when we can rifle hunt bear and coyote though.

the rut is more likely to be on in archery season, I believe
It's usually in early November, which is during archery season. It is possible for rutting behavior to continue into early December though.

I'll start this off.....not all bow hunters are "advanced class" by any stretch if the imagination. Had a bow hunter in a damn tree in full camo on the edge of a stocked pheasant field once start bitching at the pheasant hunters walking through telling them they were ruining his hunt.
1. What deer is going to walk through a pheasant stocked field that has had humans and dogs hammering it for weeks?!?
2. Full camo ....15 feet in the air.....on the edge of a field stocked with pheasant. Good way to get your ass shot.
3. Hunter orange cap required on pheasant stocked wma during pheasant season...

...With respect to the thread though......bow hunting....I get it....it's a challenge. But calling them "advanced class" is just plain silly.

Okay, so your mileage varied. I should have chosen my words more clearly. My observation is that most (not all I guess, cuz you found one that wasn't) are a more advanced class. Your story illustrates that there is ignorance in both camps. I only hunt on my private property in Vermont, not in Ma. This is my experience. Others may have different opinions/experiences. Also, VT allows cross bow. So, I suspect some of us older guys are more apt to participate. This may or may not have something to do with my observations.

Another observation, which has nothing to do with the original post: I find that non-residents are far more respectful of my property. The local rif-raf are just a bunch of fricken yahoos. After each rifle season, I need to go down the logging road an pick up the bud light cans. They cant even drink real beer. LOL

Okay, so your mileage varied. I should have chosen my words more clearly. My observation is that most (not all I guess, cuz you found one that wasn't) are a more advanced class. Your story illustrates that there is ignorance in both camps. I only hunt on my private property in Vermont, not in Ma. This is my experience. Others may have different opinions/experiences. Also, VT allows cross bow. So, I suspect some of us older guys are more apt to participate. This may or may not have something to do with my observations.

Another observation, which has nothing to do with the original post: I find that non-residents are far more respectful of my property. The local rif-raf are just a bunch of fricken yahoos. After each rifle season, I need to go down the logging road an pick up the bud light cans. They cant even drink real beer. LOL

As a generalization I would agree. Successful bow hunters can get away with fewer mistakes as their goal is to get as close as possible; especially if you hunt on the ground like I do. This mindset carries over to other methods as well. Even though I can take a deer farther with the shotgun or ML I still tend to hunt archery setups for the most part. In more than 30 years of hunting the longest shot I have taken is 80ish yards with the shotty.

There are slob hunters of every stripe. IME there are far more slob gun hunters than archers. I am probably an exception though as I keep trash bags in the truck and while I don’t always come home with a critter I usually do come home with some trash.

Bob

From my experience on hunting our private land in MN and in NH I agree with that too. A lot of locals feel entitled to the land in their area that isn't theirs.

As a generalization I would agree. Successful bow hunters can get away with fewer mistakes as their goal is to get as close as possible; especially if you hunt on the ground like I do. This mindset carries over to other methods as well. Even though I can take a deer farther with the shotgun or ML I still tend to hunt archery setups for the most part. In more than 30 years of hunting the longest shot I have taken is 80ish yards with the shotty.

There are slob hunters of every stripe. IME there are far more slob gun hunters than archers. I am probably an exception though as I keep trash bags in the truck and while I don’t always come home with a critter I usually do come home with some trash.

Bob

Bob is right on. There are slob hunters in every group. Gun hunting has been more popular than archery (although I think that is changing a bit around here) and is perceived as "easier" and needing less attention to detail. There fore the lazy slobs tend to congregate in the gun group, but there are plenty of ahole archery hunters that steal stands, cameras, throw trash, etc.

I bow hunt because the big boys I’ve found here in mass hang tight to the houses. And I like the extra time. Not to offend anyone, but I kill deer with bows, rifles and black powder. And enjoy all. But There is no question it takes more skill to kill a good Deer with a bow over a rifle or a shotgun. Anyone can drop a big mulie at 300 yards with a rifle. Now stalk up on one to bow range in open sage county and tell me it’s the same game. I have plenty of “big” racked bucks hanging on the wall taken with rifle or shotgun. The smaller buck/doe bow kills are the more impressive trophies in my book. Not looking down on anyone, any minute in the woods no matter the discipline is a win. But it’s like comparing fly fishing and spin casting, two different worlds.

Anyone can drop a big mulie at 300 yards with a rifle. Now stalk up on one to bow range in open sage county and tell me it’s the same game....
But it’s like comparing fly fishing and spin casting, two different worlds.

This reminds of two seasons ago I was elk-archery hunting in the Gravellys. Sitting down listening to bugling figuring out my next move when two big mule bucks walk right around a tree in front of me. 15 yards. Just stood there for a full minute. I had elk-only tag. Won't make that mistake again.

RE: fishing, I think the comparison is a little different. Fly fishing (small, single hook, barbless flies) tends to make catch and release a little easier (no such thing as "hunt and release"!), and also it's hard to get the same presentation in a hatch with a casting bubble. But point taken, if I'm in the backcountry and want to eat fish I carry my fly/spin combo...

But it’s like comparing fly fishing and spin casting, two different worlds.

Unfortunately in my little neck of the "woods" most (not all mind you, but most) of the fly guys, much like the kayakers, somehow feel that since they have chosen to handicap themselves this somehow gives them the right to ignore the standard fishing etiquette that the rest of us less gifted anglers follow.

Unfortunately in my little neck of the "woods" most (not all mind you, but most) of the fly guys, much like the kayakers, somehow feel that since they have chosen to handicap themselves this somehow gives them the right to ignore the standard fishing etiquette that the rest of us less gifted anglers follow.
Catchin fish is catchin fish. If the lures I have aren't working there is no shame in tying on "#10 pink nighty" aka......10 inch night crawler. If a fly Fisher wants to sneer at me for that I don't give a f***.

I hunt with a rifle because I want the animal to die painlessly and instantly. Before the invention of the firearm, wars only ended because most involved had left the battlefield in crippling pain, while the stronger had a bunch of arrows stuck in them to the point they couldn't move. Now you just shoot the bad guys with a gun and in a painless cloud of smoke, they disappear.

I'm kidding of course... more I'd say is that it's fun, it gives hunters variety, it's allowed by law in MA (along with shotgun) but rifle hunting is not, it extends the season for hunters in many states where rifle hunting is allowed, and felons aren't forbidden from owning bows so they can hunt too. Man has been killing deer with bows (no carbon fiber, aluminum, springloaded razor blades or high-tech pulleys) since the birth of the written word - it gets the job done.

In the end I think that it comes down to hunting vs
putting meat on the table. What are your priorities?

No one really “needs” to hunt; technically in this day and age anyway.

There are purists that live for the challenge and thrill of the hunt and the kill. Many of them hunt with a bow for the increased challenge (difficulty). Some of those will hunt with a recurve or a longbow to further increase the challenge.

Massachusetts, and many other states, have a lesser weapons law so even though it may be firearms season they can still hunt with the bow if they choose to.

Some, like me, are “meat hunters”. I enjoy the hunt, the variety of weapons, and my main focus is meat in the freezer.

Catchin fish is catchin fish. If the lures I have aren't working there is no shame in tying on "#10 pink nighty" aka......10 inch night crawler. If a fly Fisher wants to sneer at me for that I don't give a f***.

Same thing applies here. The “purists” will stick with the fly rod as it is all about fooling the fish. The fisherman will use whatever legal method works to put fish in the pan.

There is no right or wrong here; different strokes for different folks. Be happy with your chosen method of perusing your quarry and let the other guy be happy with the way they have chosen to persue their quarry.

Bob

Same thing applies here. The “purists” will stick with the fly rod as it is all about fooling the fish. The fisherman will use whatever legal method works to put fish in the pan.

There is no right or wrong here; different strokes for different folks. Be happy with your chosen method of perusing your quarry and let the other guy be happy with the way they have chosen to persue their quarry.

Bob

Actually...there is right and wrong. When you work to make the perfect set up on a pod of busting fish, and the fly guy comes along, motors up much much closer cause he can't cast as far and puts them down in the process, or when the kayak guy does not want to paddle all the way around you to get back up on the drift so he just cuts through area you are casting into, that's just wrong.

The basic rule when casting in a fleet is two casts between. I can fish all the water around my boat, and you can fish all the water around yours. Thing is,if you can only throw 30 feet, I still get my 30 yards on top of that.

Someone wants to fish with primitive stuff, great, but don't be thinking I want to share in the experience, and don't be looking for everyone else to share the burden,or give any quarter.

In the end I think that it comes down to hunting vs
putting meat on the table. What are your priorities?

No one really “needs” to hunt; technically in this day and age anyway.

There are purists that live for the challenge and thrill of the hunt and the kill. Many of them hunt with a bow for the increased challenge (difficulty). Some of those will hunt with a recurve or a longbow to further increase the challenge.

Massachusetts, and many other states, have a lesser weapons law so even though it may be firearms season they can still hunt with the bow if they choose to.

Some, like me, are “meat hunters”. I enjoy the hunt, the variety of weapons, and my main focus is meat in the freezer.

Bob
Bob
I dont sneer at the fly Fisher. I've taken 2 lessons in casting and I just suck at it. It's definitely a skill......Akin to the skill required in swinging a golf club well. I respect it. I just expect the same respect in return.

Actually...there is right and wrong. When you work to make the perfect set up on a pod of busting fish, and the fly guy comes along, motors up much much closer cause he can't cast as far and puts them down in the process, or when the kayak guy does not want to paddle all the way around you to get back up on the drift so he just cuts through area you are casting into, that's just wrong.

The basic rule when casting in a fleet is two casts between. I can fish all the water around my boat, and you can fish all the water around yours. Thing is,if you can only throw 30 feet, I still get my 30 yards on top of that.

Someone wants to fish with primitive stuff, great, but don't be thinking I want to share in the experience, and don't be looking for everyone else to share the burden,or give any quarter.

Agreed.

When I said that there is no right or wrong I was referring to the method of perusing the fish/animal. I have caught a lot of shit at the archery range and in a parking lots before and after because I hunt with a crossbow and others think that I should do things differently because it’s “not hunting” to them.

Bob
I dont sneer at the fly Fisher. I've taken 2 lessons in casting and I just suck at it. It's definitely a skill......Akin to the skill required in swinging a golf club well. I respect it. I just expect the same respect in return.

I didn’t take it that way at all. It was a great post and I thought it highlighted the point I was trying to make. We all do things differently as we want different things from our recreation.

Bob

Why is it better? Seems to me - again, to the non-hunter eye - that it is a more painful death to the animal than a bullet, assuming both the arrow and the bullet are perfect shots.
Not bashing anyone, I am not a tree huger, just curious what the fuss about bow and arrow is.

Thanks.
as to pain and speed of death I can say that the deer I have arrowed have bled out and died extremely fast. An arrow creates a massive wound channel. I have hit deer with my 270 and they go as far or further than deer ive arrowed. As a matter of fact ive arrowed deer that have acted as if they weren't sure anything has happened to them. only to topple over moments later. I have never shot a deer with a firearm that didn't act as if they weren't just hit by an invisible car.

Last edited:
For me it's a matter of starting earlier and being able to hunt private land that the owners won't allow guns on. My spot is 520' from one house and 515' from another... A gun, in my area, would (and often is) followed by some flashing blue lights.

I am asking in general, not specifically to MA. It's just that I watch all these bow hunting on the outdoor channel on the weekend and was always curious why would someone choose that over a rifle.

It’s a personal choice mainly. As a bow hunter I find it more challenging because you have to be more prepared in terms of de-scenting, camouflage etc. to get the deer within your range of shot ( mine is 25-35 yds). It is not more painful than a rifle or shotgun shot. Any correct shot will bring down a deer bear etc. in quick time with a humane lethal shot. The shots I’ve taken usually have dropped the deer within 25-50 yds. They initially will run but then drop. Even with a rifle they can run for the same disctance in stop. If you actually look at the effect of a broad Head you will see it is designed for the result of a quick downing of the target and if done correctly will do so. So the premise that a rifle or shotgun will be better in terms of end result is not really based in fact. The bow is a time tested hunting implement that if used correctly will result in a quick humane harvest.

I bowhunt because during that season you actually tend to see more deer. Its rut and pre rut in MA and I see alot more deer bowhunting than I do ever in gun season.

Yes its a little more challenging and you cant be all that lazy about it if your going to get deer close in and a shot at them undisturbed. Time put in generally will equal reward, not necessarily time in the woods but poured over topo maps and stand sets. In most cases you cant just walk in the woods sit on a stump and shoot a deer with a bow.

Although while scouting in a CT watershed hunt, I did do just that once. The majority of deer come after scouting heavily and setting tree stands in areas that will get you up close and personal.

The average few times year gun hunter generally lacks either the time or the ambition or both to work at archery. Its not something you can go about with a gun hunter mindset and be successful at continuously

Gun hunters focus on pressure, being in the right place at the right time, driving deer and pushing bedding areas. Generally scaring the shit out of deer and focusing where they go.

Archers its the very opposite. Getting as close to bedding but not as close to let deer know. Playing wind and weather constantly for prime deer movement, not relying on others to move deer. Getting as hidden as possible so you can make a close shot undetected. Concentration on food sources and making sure there is not only activity but daylight activity.

If you area stand gun hunter some of it over laps. If you drive deer its a totally different ball game

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom