• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am considering a P320 X5 Legion for IDPA..

It’s the new IDPA gun on the block. Tried one, wanted to love it but no luck for me. YMMV

@roccoracer are you trying to crush my soul? selling a USP and VP9 to have a P320? somewhere kittens are being killed by this. no just no. in seriousness I got to molest a P320 legion and it's heavy. for a gaming gun it seems like a good choice i suppose. the trigger is everything I dislike: light but still has a wall and weak TRS. if I wanted to tame a P320 I would just slap a TLR-1 on the rail. for competition the P320 legion seems like would excel but I wouldn't bother going there unless already a P320 fan. I was heavy into these pistols when Sig released them but have completely left the platform and am back to glocks for SFA. then again i do not compete. for a bubafett badass pistol your HK's got that covered. I still have my USP 9 and would never sell it. I sold a USP 40 some years back and am kicking myself for that.

I wish there was one I could try before I buy. Im not set on buying one. Wanted some input from the forum and want to shoot it first.

mass firearms school in holliston has the normal (non legion) with an rmr you can rent.

it’s the one I tried.

@roccoracer are you trying to crush my soul? selling a USP and VP9 to have a P320? somewhere kittens are being killed by this. no just no. in seriousness I got to molest a P320 legion and it's heavy. for a gaming gun it seems like a good choice i suppose. the trigger is everything I dislike: light but still has a wall and weak TRS. if I wanted to tame a P320 I would just slap a TLR-1 on the rail. for competition the P320 legion seems like would excel but I wouldn't bother going there unless already a P320 fan. I was heavy into these pistols when Sig released them but have completely left the platform and am back to glocks for SFA. then again i do not compete. for a bubafett badass pistol your HK's got that covered. I still have my USP 9 and would never sell it. I sold a USP 40 some years back and am kicking myself for that.
The more I think about the less I want to get rid of the USP. Plus my USP is the only pistol I have a preban magazine for. The VP9 isnt so much an issue to sell for me. I would never sell my HK45.

The more I think about the less I want to get rid of the USP. Plus my USP is the only pistol I have a preban magazine for. The VP9 isnt so much an issue to sell for me. I would never sell my HK45.

I wouldn't sell guns, especially a USP or a VP9, to buy a competition gun. Are you shooting IDPA in winter? Is time of the essence? Just my $0.02.

The HK,s are not the first choice for a competition gun. if you want to compete a competition gun is helpful. Grey guns can help with trigger issues. If your on the fence about competing try IDPA with the vp9 and if you have fun then think about a competition gun

Last edited:
Are you shooting IDPA in winter?

I believe you can shoot IDPA in the winter depending on snow. If one was planing on competing in the spring my thinking would be that now (the winter) is the time to get your competition gun so that its sighted in, broken in and your comfortable with it before competing in the spring. also it gives you time to order a holster, additional mags ect that you would need

Last edited:

IDPA isn't my game, my shooting schedule kicks off in May. If he isn't competing until May, he's got plenty of time to save and buy without having to sell other guns. If he's competing in say two weeks, different story, but here's another thing - is the gun going to make a significant enough difference to justify selling two other guns?

I have done IDPA several times using my HK45 and have done well. I want to switch to 9mm due to the lower cost of the ammunition. My VP9 is an excellent gun but I prefer a hammer fired sa/da gun. My USP is an LEM. My ideal pistol would be a P30L but they are like hens teeth. I have not made a decision yet but I am leaning toward keeping everything and just buying something else. I also have a P30sk but I want a full size for IDPA.
It has been difficult finding IDPA matches near me so it may not even happen anyway.
I was looking for the opinion of anyome who owns or has shot the P320 x5 Legion.

While I don't have the Legion, I use an older X5 that has the Legion grip, Gray trigger kit and 1911 recoil spring kit, so I'm guessing performance is very similar. 147's @ 130 PF with a 12lb spring it just about amounts to IDPA Open. The tactical guys won't love you for it,especially if you go dot. I went with Springer base pads to get the 10 rounders to work with the magwell. Grip is big and blocky, reminds of a 2011 if you've shot one of those. I still can't figure out how to drop the slide though. The release is too far back. All in all a nice gun, really reliable and easy to shoot well.

One caveat though....very light trigger, no external safety of any kind it's good to use a considerable amount of care holstering the thing.

I have done IDPA several times using my HK45 and have done well. I want to switch to 9mm due to the lower cost of the ammunition.
So you want to buy a gun “to save money”? That’s the same story I used when I bought my Glock 34 back in 2003. And it worked, and I did. I bet I saved enough to pay for the cost of the gun in about 2 years of shooting 9mm.

why not convert the usp9 back to da/sa? parts have to be cheaper than a whole new gun no?

HK won't sell the conversion parts to take a factory LEM -> V1/V3
the reverse is possible, that is starting with a V1/V3 and installing an LEM kit
one might be able to source all the parts from HKparts or elsewhere although would be costly

I'd never sell my VP9 and would have killed to have had the USP 9mm before they dried up. Now everyone wants a 1k for the gun.....no Sig is worth selling an HK IMO.

Last edited:
I'd never sell my VP9 and would have killed to have had the USP 9mm before they dried up. Now everyone wants a 1k for the gun.....no Sig is worth selling an HK IMO.

agree the USP 9's can be tough to find
massfirearms in holliston has the FDE frame models in stock
was surprised to see them
price pretty good at $780
i think if a P229 legion can sell for $1150 i consider an HK worth $800

Plenty of USPs available...

We just had our IDPA match on Saturday, SIG’S ARE EVERYWHERE! I think everyone went out and bought the same gun. Did I miss a NES group buy or something?

These X5’s as far as the eye can see. I could never seem to get comfortable with them and stopped trying.

Back
Top Bottom