• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I am all done with Mcafee

Mcafee has been giving me fits for 4 days. everytime I try to run the scan the machine grinds to a stop. This program used to run great untill they pgraded it. So, what is the best virus scan going.

If you can get your hands on it, Norton Corporate (not the shit retail
edition) is hands down the best. It has the lowest overhead of just
about any scanner on the market.

A lot of folks seem to like AVG. They used to offer a freebie version, but
not sure if they do anymore.

-Mike

Mcafee has been giving me fits for 4 days. everytime I try to run the scan the machine grinds to a stop. This program used to run great untill they pgraded it. So, what is the best virus scan going.

Welcome to this century.

I used to use fix-it, but then got the integrated zone alarm. That seems to work well. It tracks spyware, adware, email, etc etc as well.

Try housecall until you get situated with AVG,it's a pretty good online virus scan.

Clicky

I have AVG,Adaware and a firewall/router.I have yet to be inf***ted and I go to a LOT of what some people would call questionable sites.[smile]

Last edited:
I use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i, and I gotta tell you, it rocks. Super fast, scans everything going in and out of my computer, including webpages for malicious code, documents, email. Runs fast too, never notice it. But it is enterprise...

The freebie version of AVG works well enough, but has very few configuration options. the paid version is,IIRC, only about $20 and is much more convenient.
My son-in-law, who is a massively overpaid computer wizard for the Pentagon, recommends AVG.

You all remember many years ago the Micheangleo Virus that was suppose to strike sometime in March. The word came out about it in February. Now everyone knows from the time you get the idea, R&D it, Manufacturer it, Distribute it and shelve for sale, takes roughly 18 months. Well I was working for a computer store at the time and we got word in February, like I said that the virus was going to hit and by the Jesus in early march we had Nortons Vaccine on the market.. I was impressed at all of the hurdles that were over come in such a short period of time. This was at least 15 years ago or so, maybe late 80s. I have had my doubts ever since.
You all know Radar Detectors? Use to be the Same guys who made the Units for the Cops made the Detectors for the Public, talk about a Scam. X band came out, we had an answer, K Band came out we had an answer.

Use a product that doesn't have a vested interest in seeing viruses spread.
Nobody has yet to convince me that Norton and MaCafee don't create viruses to create a demand for thier product.

So, then why is AVG or any other AV manufacturer miraculously exempt from
the same motives? Nobody makes this software "because its
fun". They all want to make money. I'm not buying the tinfoil
here. Mainly because I've seen just about every AV product imaginable
get "defeated" at some point or another. (I've had customers with viruses
that were undetectable by 3 or 4 different products with current dats.)

I agree that mcafee and norton consumer grade products are
severely lacking, though. Their licensing model also blows donkey
chunks, forcing the user to shell out another $20-30 every year just so
they can get updates for their bloatware. Whenever I see that
crap I move people off to norton corp (which updates forever until the
product hits end of life, which by then the person has thrown their
computer away) or to AVG.

The only ironclad long term policy with "security" is to get people ingrained
into avoiding the bad content in the first place. If someone knows what
they're doing, they won't get any viruses. (FWIW, I don't even have
AV's running in passive mode on any of my machines- don't need
it. I'll do a manual scan once in awhile across a few of my machines
but it always comes up empty. It's way too easy to avoid getting
viruses. (The equivalent would be walking down a street and seeing
a guy with "CONVICTED CHILD MOLESTER" branded on his forehead....
obviously you're not going to let your kid near that person. ) [laugh]

-Mike

I had McAfee on 100 systems at work. A bugger to administer and bad stuff kept coming thru to our systems.

Switched to Norton (Symantec Corporate version) and it runs beautifully. The server updates itself every day and all the users do the same from the server.

NOTHING has gotten thru it since I went with it almost 10 years ago now.

I put the home versions on all my home systems and recommend them to anyone.

I remember years ago when one magazine did a column on what viruses would be like if they were written and distributed by regular software companies. For example, viruses from Ashton-Tate (that gives you an idea of how long ago this was) would require the user to insert a special copy-protection disk in order to activate the virus; viruses from Microsoft would require system hardware upgrades in order to run; etc. I suppose that viruses from McAfee or Symantec would each require the user to purchase a periodic upgrade or else they would stop working after the initial trial period, while the free viruses from AVG wouldn't have as many features as their premium ones.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom