Hypothetically speaking... Ammo collection

Wait, I have the answer!

When it becomes uncountable, then you have enough...............
When you'd have the take the day off to count it all, then you have enough.............
When you have to track it with an excel spreadsheet, then you have enough...............

Does moving to new house and finding several cases count? "Where did this come from?"

What's the penalty for violating fire safety code?

I think its a fine and thats about it, and it depends on who wants to push it.
I think what they want is a sign (hazmat type of sign thing there) on the front door to let them know "this place could blow"
Had a house fire 3 yrs ago (3 yrs next month actually), took out 70 % of the house.
I had a padlock on my closet, kept everything in there. Firearms, ammo, powder, primers, all the fun stuff.
After cutting a hole in the roof and soaking everthing they could, chief asked me to unlock the padlock so they could check.
Opened it up and he says "Well, you might want to move all this stuff out before they start boarding up, thats an awful lot of powder"
2 yrs go by and its time for him to sign off on the c.o.
Goes through the house, sees another closet with a padlock, says "Please tell me you have less than what the reg states"
I said "I have 10 less than what the reg states"
"Works for me" he says.

527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess. Without a special permit, you can store:

Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
Not more than 9999 primers
Up to (but less than) 16 pounds of smokeless powder
Up to (but less than) 2 pounds of black powder

i know kids that shoot more 22lr than that each month.
As a kid it was not hard for me,brother and a friend or 2 to piss through 2500 rounds each weekend.

At my most busy shooting life i always did as my dad taught me. 3 on friday 1 on sunday.
Basically ment if you shoot 100 rounds on sunday you buy 300 rounds on friday before.

As for your friend OP, 13k rounds total is not a lot period.

If you don't need to reinforce your floor/foundation then you don't have enough.
I wonder when there will be a news story about a floor collapsing resulting in cases of ammo falling into "the apartment below." Maura would be on scene in front of the house of horrors being interviewed for the evening news. Hint: Don't live in 2nd floor apartment LOL

527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess. Without a special permit, you can store:

Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
Not more than 9999 primers
Up to (but less than) 16 pounds of smokeless powder
Up to (but less than) 2 pounds of black powder

Guess it's a good thing I don't live in Massachusetts.

Guess it's a good thing I don't live in Massachusetts.

With a special permit from the fire department, storage volume increases to:

527 CMR 1.00 also stipulates that an ammunition storage permit can be obtained from the head of the local fire department. With a storage permit, you can store:

• Up to 30,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition*
  • Not more than 9999 primers
  • Not more than 47 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 5 pounds of black powder
* Total of all ammunition cannot exceed 100,000 rounds

Hypothetically speaking, how much ammo do you guys figure you’re sitting on? Reason I ask is I have a friend who’s been shooting for +20 years. She did an inventory for the first time the other day and she’s sitting on 13k total. 3k x 5.56. 2 k x 7.62x51. 3k x 9mm. 3k x 7.62x39. Etc... is this so wrong/crazy??
hypothetically speaking i would say your friend is "short" on ammo.

I usually stop and pick up a box of whatever is on sale on the way to the range. When that's gone I'm done until I want to practice again....say...six months or year so. ;)

This is basically a guaranteed recipe for despair.

ETA: the sad thing is I still know people from years ago that still do this, then every time the market gets disrupted, they get their ass handed to them (or can't shoot) etc. Even having laid in only 1000 rounds as a "do not touch unless panic" reserve would have saved their ass from overprices/rape/shortages.

Hypothetically speaking, how much ammo do you guys figure you’re sitting on? Reason I ask is I have a friend who’s been shooting for +20 years. She did an inventory for the first time the other day and she’s sitting on 13k total. 3k x 5.56. 2 k x 7.62x51. 3k x 9mm. 3k x 7.62x39. Etc... is this so wrong/crazy??

I counted my 22lr yesterday. I'm stocked almost as good as Walmart was at their best stocked

It’s not wrong and it’s not crazy...and it’s definitely not enough, lol!

With a special permit from the fire department, storage volume increases to:

527 CMR 1.00 also stipulates that an ammunition storage permit can be obtained from the head of the local fire department. With a storage permit, you can store:

• Up to 30,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition*
  • Not more than 9999 primers
  • Not more than 47 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 5 pounds of black powder
* Total of all ammunition cannot exceed 100,000 rounds

Our town charges $15 for this special permit. I only have it because of the black powder storage requirement ;) ....allegedly.

This is basically a guaranteed recipe for despair.

ETA: the sad thing is I still know people from years ago that still do this, then every time the market gets disrupted, they get their ass handed to them (or can't shoot) etc. Even having laid in only 1000 rounds as a "do not touch unless panic" reserve would have saved their ass from overprices/rape/shortages.

Literally a quote off the notes page of the "Ammo Storage" slide in my NRA BOPS PowerPoint: "You wouldn't buy just one roll of toilet paper or one cup of laundry detergent; why would you buy one box of ammo at a time?"

If you don't need to reinforce your floor/foundation then you don't have enough.
I did this last year. Ammo is heavy. I just cut three 2x4's long enough to reach from the floor joists to the basement floor. I cut them about a 1/4" to long and used a sledge to pound them into place. I store in a lockable cabinet about the size of a refrigerator. Imagine a fridge, filled with lead. It's heavy, I noticed the floor sagging and said Oh shit.

I got the permit from my local FD and have less than the max allowed by law. But 13k? I have more 22lr than that... lol
What's hard is staying under the max for center fire. That is a lot of calibers, and 5.56 is the obvious favorite. Most shooters have at least 6 different calibers just for handguns.

It sounds like a lot, but when you shoot 10 different calibers it's really not. So you make decisions based on usage. I really don't need 2000 rounds of 300 winmag. Thats probably more than I will shoot in years. Same with 44 magnum.

Back
Top Bottom