• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetically speaking... Ammo collection

Ju
Hypothetically speaking, how much ammo do you guys figure you’re sitting on? Reason I ask is I have a friend who’s been shooting for +20 years. She did an inventory for the first time the other day and she’s sitting on 13k total. 3k x 5.56. 2 k x 7.62x51. 3k x 9mm. 3k x 7.62x39. Etc... is this so wrong/crazy??
Just checked the small-arms safe. Let's see.....50 rounds 12 gauge 3" Nitro Steel BB, 75 rounds 12 gauge Winchester Super-X one ounce slugs, 75 rounds of 12 gauge Winchester Super-X OO buckshot, 4 bricks of Remington high-velocity .22 LR hollowpoints, 4 boxes of CCI Stinger .22 LR hollowpoints, 600 rounds of .308 147 grain ball and 900 rounds of M193 55 grain .223 ball.

I don’t shoot much anymore. I feel pretty comfortable with the amount I have being able to feed and protect myself for the foreseeable future. I don’t know my exact count but it’s way south of the 13k you referenced.

If it honestly got so bad that I felt I needed plate carrier, AR and a full combat load to go out, I’m staying in.

I usually stop and pick up a box of whatever is on sale on the way to the range. When that's gone I'm done until I want to practice again....say...six months or year so. ;)

I measure ammo by the ammo boxes, ie 30 can of 9mm, 50 can of 5.56, etc..

Similarly I inventory pmags, just about hit what I think is a lifetime collection on the small frame 20s, 30s, 40s, big frame 20s and 25s.

I pile the ammo cans into the bottom of my safes and put a shelf on top of them to set guns on. Mags occupy a shelf above the guns or I play tetris with them. Then on a piece of paper in each safe I keep an inventory, updated as I add to it.

Was getting out of control, ie I own too many 40 round mags because I forgot what I had, so I developed a system. I still lose track of "working" ammo stores sometimes because I don't keep an inventory on that but it's within like 500 rounds so is just a margin of error.

I made a locking ammo storage cabinet, about 28" deep, 4ft wide, 8ft tall, out of 3/16" angle iron and 14 gauge steel. I had the drafting guy at work model it to handle 600lbs per shelf, with a 200lb safety margin. About 3000lbs total. Let's just say it partially collapsed two years ago...now its made out of mostly 1/4" angle, 3/16 wall square tube, and 1/8" plate and should hold my house up in an earthquake. I keep it locked with two huge Abloy locks and hasps machined out of 52100 steel and heat treated. (Yes I have access to a huge fab and sheet metal shop)

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking, how much ammo do you guys figure you’re sitting on? Reason I ask is I have a friend who’s been shooting for +20 years. She did an inventory for the first time the other day and she’s sitting on 13k total. 3k x 5.56. 2 k x 7.62x51. 3k x 9mm. 3k x 7.62x39. Etc... is this so wrong/crazy??
How much is enough depends on each individual gun owner. If you go to the range once a month and shoot for 45 minutes it's more than enough. If you go to the range multiple times a week and compete it's not enough. This is why I hate the news reports when they state an "arsenal" or "cache" if ammo is found in a home. If someone shoots often .....10k rounds is just normal stock levels.

By the way .. ... Why would you think it's crazy? Don't feed into the media hype.

Its all subjective.

How often you shoot. Some people shoot once a year, some shoot 3,000 rds per month.
Space. Some people live in small places or apartments and can only keep so much on hand.
Budget. Some such as myself can not afford to keep tens upon tens of thousands of rounds. I try to keep as much as I can afford but life..

If you need a calculator to multiply out the square feet the ammo cases take up, then you might have enough.

I look at it two ways, both from a "do I have enough ammo to shoot normally during a short drought?" but also, my guns are part of my legacy to my kids. As such, I need to make sure they have "appropriate" amounts of ammo to shoot them. I would no sooner leave guns and no ammo to my kids than I would leave them a Betamax player with no tapes.

As I've already mentioned in the numerous other ammo threads, my grand kids (of which I have none currently) will be building forts out of Grandpa's ammo stash long after Grandpa's dust.

Can you quote the mgl that states you can't have more than 10k rounds in your home?

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

"cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun"
In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

As hard as this is to believe, the Commonwealth also regulates the quantity of ammunition and components that you may store in your home. 527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess. Without a special permit, you can store:

• Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
  • Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
  • Not more than 9999 primers
  • Up to (but less than) 16 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Up to (but less than) 2 pounds of black powder
527 CMR 1.00 also stipulates that an ammunition storage permit can be obtained from the head of the local fire department. With a storage permit, you can store:

• Up to 30,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition*
  • Not more than 47 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 5 pounds of black powder
* Total of all ammunition cannot exceed 100,000 rounds

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

As hard as this is to believe, the Commonwealth also regulates the quantity of ammunition and components that you may store in your home. 527 CMR 1.00: MASSACHUSETTS COMPREHENSIVE FIRE SAFETY CODE regulates the amount of ammunition and components you are allowed to possess. Without a special permit, you can store:

• Not more than 10,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition
  • Not more than 10,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition
  • Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition
  • Up to (but less than) 16 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Up to (but less than) 2 pounds of black powder
527 CMR 1.00 also stipulates that an ammunition storage permit can be obtained from the head of the local fire department. With a storage permit, you can store:

• Up to 30,000 rounds of rimfire ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of centerfire rifle/pistol ammunition*
  • Up to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition*
  • Not more than 47 pounds of smokeless powder
  • Not more than 5 pounds of black powder
* Total of all ammunition cannot exceed 100,000 rounds
My point is there is the limit on ammo is fire safety code not mass general law.

What's the penalty for violating fire safety code?

Speaking of ammo. Anyone looking for 223?
I know of a vendor that has Fiocchi 55 gr 223 cases (1,000 rounds) in stock. $299.99 plus $21 shipping. 40 cases left.

PM if interested.

My point is there is the limit on ammo is fire safety code not mass general law.

What's the penalty for violating fire safety code?

Interesting. I am in class for fire alarm systems licensing and we see what the instructors say.

Interesting. I am in class for fire alarm systems licensing and we see what the instructors say.
I'm curious.

Can't be any criminal penalty as far as I'd guess.

I had a 4 family home years ago and had to get a fire inspection for occupancy permit. Smoke detectors were not to code ...had to be hard wired not battery because it was multi family. Fire inspector gave me a memo that I had 30 days to be compliant .....but still gave me the occupancy permit. Just for reference......I don't think your gonna end up in handcuffs for having 10,001 rounds or rimfire ammo lol

I'm curious.

Can't be any criminal penalty as far as I'd guess.

I had a 4 family home years ago and had to get a fire inspection for occupancy permit. Smoke detectors were not to code ...had to be hard wired not battery because it was multi family. Fire inspector gave me a memo that I had 30 days to be compliant .....but still gave me the occupancy permit. Just for reference......I don't think your gonna end up in handcuffs for having 10,001 rounds or rimfire ammo lol

My friend @mikelawtown I believe went to his local FD and told him not to worry about it. I could be mistaken......

Back
Top Bottom