• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetical question

If you acquire a non compliant Ma firearm and it needs to be serviced or repaired under warranty, what do you do?
I was told by S&W they will not send a non compliant firearm to a Ma address if it is sent in to their service dept. I believe Sig said the same thing.
I do think they could and would send it to a FFL though.

why do I ask? I see a few Sig 365's for sale and wondering what would happen if the firing pin failed since this is a problem with some of them.

If you acquire a non compliant Ma firearm and it needs to be serviced or repaired under warranty, what do you do?
I was told by S&W they will not send a non compliant firearm to a Ma address if it is sent in to their service dept. I believe Sig said the same thing.

This is bullshit, I sent my Walther PPQ back to them twice for service, both times it returned to my home address.

In addition the ATF states:
Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient's State of residence.

If you're having a problem that needs a frame replacement (new SN) I can see where the FFL would be required, however, even in Maura's 7/20 edict she makes exemption for repairs.

No they won't. but you can take it to their Sig Store, drop it off and go back and get it when it is fixed.

Actually, they do. I sent my P320 back to them for the recall work. Had to drop it off at a FedEx office to ship it, but when they fnished the work, they shipped it via FedEx back to my home address. No FFL was required in any way.

Okay I'll help add to the fun, this was posted on Facebook by a dealer last week

" mass compliant p365's have not been produced"

a non safety p365 is not mass approved.
While I suppose you’re technically correct:

1. OP’s question is in regards to repair of firing pin. Slide has no SN and thus could be shipped for repair without need for FFL. I highly doubt SIG would decline to send the slide back simply because it was missing the cut out for the safety (though I will acknowledge anything is possible)

2. MA approved roster only dictates what can be sold by MA FFL, not what you can own as a MA resident. Hypothetically, the non MA p365 requiring repair could very well have been acquired out of state by someone who then moved to MA making ownership 100% legal. I would be surprised if SIG was in the business of requiring confirmation of means by which a firearm was acquired for repair

Again, in fairness, I will acknowledge anything is possible

If you’re worried, just have a friend in NH send it for you. Don’t have a friend in NH? Most people here like guns and beer and are easy to make friends with. True story.

Actually, they do. I sent my P320 back to them for the recall work. Had to drop it off at a FedEx office to ship it, but when they fnished the work, they shipped it via FedEx back to my home address. No FFL was required in any way.

This is my experience in the past year, they don’t care about any of the MA BS for repairs.

I've sent a Sig back to them for repair. They sent a Fedex label and RMA number. I shipped to them by dropping off at a Fedex Kinkos. Once the work was done they shipped it back direct I wasn't home when the FedEx guy arrived so I drove to the FedEx pickup location and brought it home. This was a complete pistol, not just a slide.

Again, we aren' talking ANY pistol from Company A or Company B. We are talking a NON-COMPLIANT model of said pistol.

why do I ask? I see a few Sig 365's for sale and wondering what would happen if the firing pin failed since this is a problem with some of them.

Most companies don't actually care unless its a situation where they decide to replace the entire gun or replace the frame, at which point you have to get creative. (and before someone
jumps my shit on this, I know the manuf is allowed to do this without involving an FFL if they reserialed the frame, but in actual practice, NOBODY allows or does this. ) The thing is though,
most handgun repairs don't involve this unless your frame is actually broken... although Glock replaced an entire gun for me once.

Did you actually try to do this, or did you ask the question to their service dept as a prophylactic sort of measure vs a "bounce?"

One thing you learn in MA garbage land is, most of the time, the less you talk about compliance/legal BS, the better off you are. For example meatheads that call up MA dealers and go into a swan
song and dance about compliance with regards to transferring in a firearm are probably far more likely to get blown off by the dealer...

EG:

Normal gun owner: "A good friend of mine says you guys do transfers, I want to transfer in a (specific model X) can you help me out with that?"
versus the nails on the chalkboard edition...
Mindless obeisant MA downtrodden gun owner speak: "I wanna transfer in an X but I'm not sure if we can do that or not because it might not be complyiant because this one doesnt have the safety on the side and no LCI its on the list but I dont know if its on the ags secret list and so wah lah blah blah blah"

When I hear people doing the 2nd thing, I think of that meme with the 4 year old ghetto kid going "shut da f*** up!" etc... [laugh] If there's a compliance issue the dealer or remote cares about, they will
ask you about it, just be specific without going full retard.

Note: I'm not necessarily accusing you of doing this, just alerting you that the "downtrodden gun owner MA mindset" is cancerous and counterproductive to your own good most of the time...

This same shit used to happen with ammo vendors. Smart people just placed an order and would see what happened. Numbskulls would call up the vendor and start going "Do you guyz ship to MA a lot of companies won't ship here blah blah blah, wah so wah lah, halp!" etc. The numbskulls may have even gotten some remotes to stop shipping here even by asking the question at all.

-Mike

Me too and mine was the non-Ma. compliant, No external safety.

If you’re worried, just have a friend in NH send it for you. Don’t have a friend in NH? Most people here like guns and beer and are easy to make friends with. True story.

You can also use an NH (or any other free state) FFL to do it, because unless the frame is broken or they need to replace the gun, the gun can log in and out of their books as a REPAIR and not require a 4473, and theres no residency restriction on handing back a customer a repaired firearm outside of a frame or entire gun replacement.

Note however that there are cases where this doesn't work. For example Sig is being a bunch of douchebags about proxy servicing of recalled P320s. They would not allow me to drop mine off at the factory or use a dealer to get the recalls done on my behalf. Someone would ask "well why would you want to do that?" The reason is- I f***ing hate shipping guns. Like almost as much as 1877 Kars 4 Kids level hate, or paul mc cartneys christmastime song hate. My working hours are such that in order to facilitate shipping a gun in and out I basically have to take time off from work on both sides. It is literally cheaper for me with transactional costs to flip a dealer $50 or more to have them do it for me and then I can just swing by the dealer on a saturday for drop off and pick up.

-Mike

This should only be an issue if the entire gun is replaced. I've known many guns sent to manufacturers for repair that were non compliant, then returned to owners. I heard of glock not replacing a gun that had a cracked frame. I don't know how that resolved.

This is bullshit, I sent my Walther PPQ back to them twice for service, both times it returned to my home address.

In addition the ATF states:
Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient's State of residence.

If you're having a problem that needs a frame replacement (new SN) I can see where the FFL would be required, however, even in Maura's 7/20 edict she makes exemption for repairs.

A FFL don't even have to get involved with a new serial number.

I had a AR15 that the mags would not fit in to the mag well (not smith and wesson or Sig though) I call the company (manufacturer) and asked them what to do they said they could rebroch the well and send it back but it would be bare metal I said I don't care I don't plain on selling it.

So i sent it back and a month later they send me a new one in the box with new serial number I called them and asked the about it.

They said I sent in a gun so they can send me back a new on no issues.

They just had to put it in there A&D book.

What I sent them what they sent me back and its all good i was all set per ATF rules.

Last edited:
A FFL don't even have tp get involved with a new serial number.

Yes, this is likely true on paper but in practice a lot of manufacturers will not do this under any circumstance, Glock etc will not do it AFAIK.

-Mike

Yes, this is likely true on paper but in practice a lot of manufacturers will not do this under any circumstance, Glock etc will not do it AFAIK.

-Mike

But Glock might be a little different I think there a good gun but the company sucks in my opinion.

Now as a dealer i even have a hard time getting distributors send me glocks and I know a couple won't even send them to me no matter what I say to them.

One place i get glocks from says to me these glocks are not on the Ma approved roster and can be sold in your state I tell the DB yes I know i sell then to police officers and in gun broker and then they send them.

Concerning compliancy, if you read Functional equivilent, then all 320's, 938's, 238's and 365's should be acceptable unless the external safety is considered a component of the firing mechanism.
Here's the link to the Executive Office of Public Safety
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/09/qw/501-cmr-7.pdf

Yes, but WRT the external safety and lame trigger guns, this doesn't address Maura's CMR940 bullshit at all, though. . And some dealers are f***ey about the model numbers. Others not so much. Like if I wanted to inbound a real Legion SAO there are some dealers that will do it and some that will balk because it doesn't have the MA part number because they're afraid of the AG.

If Sig was smart they would make things less confusing by not broadcasting MA compliance BS in the model number, but that horse ran out of the barn a long time ago...

-Mike

Concerning compliancy, if you read Functional Design Equivalent in the link below, then all 320's, 938's, 238's and 365's should be acceptable unless the external safety is considered a component of the firing mechanism. Though all 938's and 238's have them.
Here's the link
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/09/qw/501-cmr-7.pdf

Approved firearms roster having to get a LTC where the F in the constitution does it say the right to only have certain firearms approved by a state and a permission slip to have those firearms.

We need more lawyer to do more suing saying stuff is unconstitutional and let it go to the Supreme Court and see where we the people stand.

Remember the first why to oppress and control the citizens is to disarm the people.

Back
Top Bottom