• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetical question, extreme weather handgun

hillman

NES Member
As I sit watching the same episode of Curious George for literally the 7,000th time with my boy, my mind tends to wander. Here's a hypothetical question:

You will be stranded in various extreme climate zones for 30 days. You will face temperatures of up to jungle-like humid high 90's, very humid, desert like dry temps of up to 120, freezing dry temps of down to -20, and wet cold temps of down to -5. You will be totally submerged in mud at least once, fall in a river a few times, and stand downwind of a forest fire with the air clogged with soot and ash.

You will face wild vicious animals of up to large dog size (no bears), and more vicious animals of the two legged variety. Nothing larger, though. You will NOT have to use your handgun for hunting, however, as you have a supply of food and water.

You may select only one handgun for this, and you will not have access to a rifle or shotgun. Any caliber, any make and model. But it must be real, no Robocop pistols please. You will not have a full cleaning kit, only a tooth brush, bore snake, and one SMALL bottle of Hoppes oil. You will have as much ammo as you can carry in your pack filled with 30 days of food and water. You will not have access to any spare parts.

Which handgun would you choose and why?

This question actually crossed my mind when I was cleaning my SR9c after a one week camping trip to North Carolina, when I had to clean all that friggin' beach sand out of every crevice, even the ones on the pistol! I was amazed at how dirty it got, being in an IWB holster the entire time.

Nobody would encounter all those various climate differences in any one place, so their choice would be based on what climate they were headed to in real life.

That said, my 1911 would be my choice in all those situations.

Nobody would encounter all those various climate differences in any one place, so their choice would be based on what climate they were headed to in real life.

That said, my 1911 would be my choice in all those situations.

It's the Hunger Games, and I control the environment...hence, hypothetical.

No actually this question is pertinent to some research I am doing for my current book, where a situation like this does happen. That's why I ask the experts.

Last edited:
My thoughts tell me to choose a revolver, but I have no facts to back this up. I am thinking it would be more reliable?

Sent using Tapatalk.

Part of me says revolver. I am specifically thinking one like the judge as you could shoot anything from a powder puff load to a jacked up 45 long colt to a .410 w/ #8 shot for versatility.

Another part of me wants to say screw it and say an MP10 (10mm version of the MP5) pistol w/a happy switch should cover me for everything but snakes. It has a little more ump than most other guns and you seem to be implying there would be some 2 legged predators around.

Can we have suppresors?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

No bears?? All stainless S&W Model 627, 8 shot, .357 magnum, 4". I would think it would be pretty weather/cold proof.

^^this

or GP100 4" barrel w hot buffalo bore 357 loads.

i cant believe how many people would take an auto. Once dirt and sand gets in that slide i would be afraid to depend on it.

Can we have suppresors?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

No.

- - - Updated - - -

i cant believe how many people would take an auto. Once dirt and sand gets in that slide i would be afraid to depend on it.

Wouldn't a semi-auto also be easier to strip and clean with the limited gear than a revolver, once the dirt and crap got inside?

No.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't a semi-auto also be easier to strip and clean with the limited gear than a revolver, once the dirt and crap got inside?

Nope. IMHO, a revolver has so few working parts and is much easier to clean and run than an automatic. However, I still take my 1911.

Glock 20 for me, but I wouldn't feel under armed with any other Glock, Sig, M&P or HK in anything 9mm and up. I disagree that a revolver is going to be easier to clean and keep running in this scenario.

I like my S&Ws, but there's no way I'm bringing a revolver with a sideplate that would have to come off to deal with being filled with mud or sand. I can see a GP100 or Security Six working better under those conditions, just because of the disassembly method.

Part of the reason I havent left my sig yet as Ive had zero issues in thousands of rounds.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I think polymer would be a no go in extreme cold.

I would personally prefer a Gau-8.

I don't think -20 is cold enough to matter. There are units who venture into cold places who carry Glocks with no issues. I think Glock polymer will be ok in the situations provided, probably the same for most handgun polymers, who knows.

Would love to see a hand-held version of a Gau-8 though...

I don't think -20 is cold enough to matter. There are units who venture into cold places who carry Glocks with no issues. I think Glock polymer will be ok in the situations provided, probably the same for most handgun polymers, who knows.

Alaska State Police, for example.

Glock...19 or 21...

has someone been watching too much of this

predators-soldiers-rally.jpg

Back
Top Bottom