• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hypothetical Purchasing Situation

You would be in the clear, legally, but the FFL would have just broken the law. If the pistol had newly manufactured standard capacity mags then you'd be a felon too.

The only way to get a USP in Massachusetts without someone becoming a felon is to either buy one from a private party or have a dealer sell you one that was already in the state on 10/21/1998. Make sure that the mags are either restricted capacity or manufactured prior to 9/14/1994.

And no, you can't buy mine! [wink]

There is in fact another option. We all tend to use the terms "dealer" and FFL as if they were interchangeable. The EOPS and AG regulations apply only to dealers who are licensed by the state. Since all of these people are "in the business", they all have to have federal licenses in addition to their state licenses. However, a person can hold an FFL without meeting the state criteria for being in business. There are very few such people, since BATF (with the encouragement of larger dealers and their trade association) has actively attempted to refuse licenses or renewals for them. Wtill, there are a few people who manage to satisfy BATF that they are indeed engaged in business, even though they do not have state licenses. Of course that means that, just like you and me, they're limited to no more than 4 sales per year, except to other dealers. One of those people could legaly do the transfer for you, although they'd have to be a very good friend to be willing to use one of their four sales for a transfer. This isn't just hypothetical, since I know one such person; he was licensed by the state until they refused his renewal arguing that his separate building (from shich he'd done business for over 10 years) suddenly didn't meet their new secret criteria for a business.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom