Hypothetical preban mag question

Hi,

Sorry about the same stupid topic, but, it seems like it comes back on and on and there is no one definitive answer, or, maybe an answer is there - but not that most want to hear.

Anyway - i spoke with an old co-worker yesterday, he`s got to move to MA from MO in the spring. It is not negotiable - family reasons, to support elderly parents, and an existing property here, etc. NH is not an option, house is somewhere in Franklin - which is not the worst town, i think, LTC considered.
MO is a constitutional carry state, obviously, so, he was asking of my opinion on what would be best to do.

He is set to sell his 2 ARs and 3 AKs before move, again, family/money situation, so it should not be an issue with automatics and true assault stuff, but he has quite a collection of glocks as well that he wants to keep, and, of course, all magazines are the proper ones - a mix of gen4 factory and KCI mags.

So, does he have to get rid of all his newer non- preban 15rd and 17rd ones now prior to the move or is there any way to grandfather those mags, or, what i personally suspect - it is not really worth long term to even deal with that, considering all the possible hassle? He has no proof of sale on those, as no sane person keeps crap like that on mags. So, is it a path of least resistance to sell all the hi-cap ones and get 10rd ones instead before the move or is there any way to bypass this requirement, safely and legally?

Proof of sale is irrelevant. Possession of any large-capacity (standard capacity in Free America) magazines made after 9/13/1994, no matter when you bought them or where in the world they came from, is a felony, period.

As for ARs and AKs, IANAL but if it were me, I would merely Massify them to comply with MGLs and not worry about Healey's diarrhea of the mouth/press conference/memo/FAQ.

no, he needs money, plus, a set of different issues on top.
thx for the confirmation about mags, it is what i presumed, but, wanted to be sure there was no workarounds for those who moves in.

no, he needs money, plus, a set of different issues on top.
thx for the confirmation about mags, it is what i presumed, but, wanted to be sure there was no workarounds for those who moves in.
There are workarounds:
  • Switch careers and become a LEO
  • Switch careers and become a diplomat for a foreign nation that has a diplomatic immunity relationship with the US.
  • Become a MA licensed firearms dealer. Tricky since the forces of oppression have banned dealers from operating out of a residence.

This is exactly why I roll with 10 rounders for everything I have now. Not worth the potential headache. You win, PRMA.

... he needs money, plus, a set of different issues on top.
He has to sell the guns he owns in order to afford to move to
a state with a higher cost of living than where he lives now?

He does understand this is Taxachusetts, not Fairyland; right?

As for ARs and AKs, IANAL but if it were me, I would merely Massify them to comply with MGLs ...
Yeah, but if he made them Mass-legal,
then he could probably flip them at a profit
to someone in Mass who can't buy them retail -
as opposed to selling them in Missouri
where the guns are nothing remarkable...

Back
Top Bottom