Hypothetical of course: You ever forget your wallet?

I forgot my wallet (and LTC) one day when I was headed to the range with several guns, etc. I stopped to call a friend who was also due at the range later that day in hopes that he could grab my wallet on his way. No answer.

As I exited the phone booth (this was a long time ago) I found myself in the middle of an LE convention; more than half a dozen cruisers had descended on this gas station/truck stop with their lights flashing. With a truck load of guns and no permit, I decided to make myself "small" and sneak back to the truck for a hasty retreat.

As I made my escape, I heard someone yell "Hey you" and made myself even smaller and crept back to the truck with visions of incarceration on my mind. This cop wouldn't give up, I got another "Hey you". Finally I got a "Hey you" followed by my name. Turns out it was a friend of mine. I had no idea I had stopped in his town. Alls well that ends well.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129c
Last paragraph.

IANAL but you are required to show ltc on demand, however if you don't have it with you I believe your gun with you is confiscated and you have 30 days to produce your ltc and they must return your gun to you immediately. I don't think there's a penalty attached... other than suitability of course... If you produce it within 30 days.

If you don't produce it within 30 days they can confiscate all of your guns!

I forgot my wallet (and LTC) one day when I was headed to the range with several guns, etc. I stopped to call a friend who was also due at the range later that day in hopes that he could grab my wallet on his way. No answer.

As I exited the phone booth (this was a long time ago) I found myself in the middle of an LE convention; more than half a dozen cruisers had descended on this gas station/truck stop with their lights flashing. With a truck load of guns and no permit, I decided to make myself "small" and sneak back to the truck for a hasty retreat.

As I made my escape, I heard someone yell "Hey you" and made myself even smaller and crept back to the truck with visions of incarceration on my mind. This cop wouldn't give up, I got another "Hey you". Finally I got a "Hey you" followed by my name. Turns out it was a friend of mine. I had no idea I had stopped in his town. Alls well that ends well.

Good story, but please explain how you make yourself "smaller"! I know quite a few ladies that would appreciate knowing that trick, as well as a few guys![laugh]

Never happens. I have ADD but when I was younger I developed a lot of coping habits for things like wallet, keys, etc.

I have, however, left my house wearing a shirt backwards, or on one occasion... inside out. [rofl]

-Mike

Never happens. I have ADD but when I was younger I developed a lot of coping habits for things like wallet, keys, etc.

I have, however, left my house wearing a shirt backwards, or on one occasion... inside out. [rofl]

-Mike

i've done the shirt thing. noticed around 11:00 in the morning. means no one else noticed, either.

-Mike
I don't forget things but I also went to work with a shirt on inside out once. Someone asked me if I was starting a new fashion trend. I also wore 2 different shoes once, one black one brown. Didn't realize it until I got home from work and I was on the road at customer sites all day.

What will usually happen is I will get to work and ill be doing stuff and then sit down and ill be like... "what the ****... why is this shirt so ****ing uncomfortab- oh you stupid idiot. FML." [rofl]

-Mike

With my OCD I always do the pat down before I leave. As well as making sure the stove is off, all the light switches are even and that I'm actually wearing pants.

Quiz time...

How many of you would have turned around and go home if you had forgotten your wallet?

How many of you would have turned around and go home if you had forgotten your gun?

Within an acceptable distance/time.

If you had forgotten both... just go home. You're hungover or drunk.
No wallet and no gun? That could also be from divorce LOL.

I recall forgetting my wallet only once and I was at work, 1.5 hrs from home. I made it thru the day.

When our house was broken into the cop that responded had forgotten his gun at the station! He didn't want to even walk into the house!

I have a "friend" who forgets his wallet all the time, never his gun. Pants dont fit without it so it's pretty obvious if the gun's missing, the wallet not so much

The pocket pat is a must for me. I do it constantly and subconsciously all day long. Similarly, I recently noticed that I repetitively check to make sure the e-brake lever is down while I'm driving.

Wallet, knife, light, phone, keys, gun.

My girlfriend is catching on pretty quick, the other day as we're leaving I say "do you have your key?" And she replies "yup? Do you have your...phone, wallet, knife, light, keys...gun?" All while imitating my pat down ritual.

Ok, my turn. So I'm heading to the range, about 3 miles out and a pickup truck starts riding my ass, like 2 inches off my bumper. I take a right, he follows. I bang a left, still there, another right then right into range parking lot, here he comes. I park near door, he screeches up behind me, blocking me in. Ok, I'm packing and ready....I wait. He goes flying by me into the range, returns to truck a minute later and leaves. When I get inside I ask "what was up with that guy?" The man at the front desk tells me he forgot his loaded 45 on the counter![shocked]

Ok, my turn. So I'm heading to the range, about 3 miles out and a pickup truck starts riding my ass, like 2 inches off my bumper. I take a right, he follows. I bang a left, still there, another right then right into range parking lot, here he comes. I park near door, he screeches up behind me, blocking me in. Ok, I'm packing and ready....I wait. He goes flying by me into the range, returns to truck a minute later and leaves. When I get inside I ask "what was up with that guy?" The man at the front desk tells me he forgot his loaded 45 on the counter![shocked]

I've actually had nightmares about having that happen to me!

I have hypothetically crossed state lines with a concealed weapon. There was a hypothetical news story about it in which everyone died.
It was a very hypothetical tragedy.
I'm still hypothetically sad about it.

Hypothetically speaking, yes... now, does anyone know what would/could happen to you in that case if say you were found to be carrying for some reason but forgot your LTC?

The MGL actually states that there will be no penalty for carrying without a license "on you". As long as you have an active license you won't face any penalties. Not to say the cop won't be a dick and hassle you until his supervisor tells him the law. But a quick check will show that you have an active LTC and you should be on your way. I think worst case is the cop takes your gun to the PD until you come down with you LTC to get it, but I doubt it would go that far.

The MGL actually states that there will be no penalty for carrying without a license "on you". As long as you have an active license you won't face any penalties. Not to say the cop won't be a dick and hassle you until his supervisor tells him the law. But a quick check will show that you have an active LTC and you should be on your way. I think worst case is the cop takes your gun to the PD until you come down with you LTC to get it, but I doubt it would go that far.
You're right! The key words is "may"

Any person who, while not being within the limits of his own property or residence [...], shall on demand of a police officer or other law enforcement officer, exhibit his license to carry firearms,[...]. Upon failure to do so such person may be required to surrender to such officer said firearm, rifle or shotgun which shall be taken into custody [,...] such firearm, rifle or shotgun shall be returned forthwith upon presentation within thirty days of said license [...]

[E]ven though no firearm [...] was surrendered, [such person] be required to produce within thirty days said license [...], failing which the conditions of section one hundred and twenty-nine D will apply.

Good point

Original unedited law

Last paragraph.

IANAL but you are required to show ltc on demand, however if you don't have it with you I believe your gun with you is confiscated and you have 30 days to produce your ltc and they must return your gun to you immediately. I don't think there's a penalty attached... other than suitability of course... If you produce it within 30 days.

If you don't produce it within 30 days they can confiscate all of your guns!

That pretty much covers it. There is however a different MGL that lists the penalties for carrying without a license that goes on to say (paraphrasing) "Penalty shall not be imposed if the only reason the person is carrying without a license issued under, blah, is because the license is not physically on their person."

I have been trying to find it and ran across this in 269/10
(c) Whoever, except as provided by law, possesses a machine gun, as defined in section one hundred and twenty-one of chapter one hundred and forty, without permission under section one hundred and thirty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty; or whoever owns, possesses or carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a sawed-off shotgun, as defined in said section one hundred and twenty-one of said chapter one hundred and forty, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for life, or for any term of years provided that any sentence imposed under the provisions of this paragraph shall be subject to the minimum requirements of paragraph (a)

It is nice to know that MA will routinely let rapists and child molesters off with a slap on the wrist, but having a shotty w/ a barrel under 18.5 in can land you in prison FOR LIFE! Priorities... [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom