Hypothetical Camping without CCW

Suppose you are lawfully camping in a tent but for some reason or another (noise, complaint, whatever) the police respond and you have a handgun on your person or by your sleeping bag in the tent WITHOUT a Maine CCW permit. The law seems somewhat unclear in this manner.

Thoughts?

It seems to me you'd be fine as long as you're not sleeping in your vehicle. (I have no idea what a popup camper would count as though. I'm saddened I should even have to worry about it.) But, you did say tent.

If you can't sleep comfortably with gun holstered, maybe put it beside you but still wear the holster. If you hear anything, odds are you would have grabbed it (and perhaps re-holstered it) before anyone can unzip the tent and see it is laying around without being in your immediate control.

IANAL, but that's pretty much what I do in Maine.

You'll be fine here in Maine. This is not MA, nobody is trying to jack you up here. If you have doubts/fears just get a nonresident permit.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

The problem you folks from away have about out gun laws in Maine is that there is very little written down and almost no case law. There are not a lot of gun laws to read. SO..... the only law that would affect your situation would be the law about concealed carry. If you are in a tent, and the gun is about your person, it must be visible. That means not under your pillow or in your sleeping bag. Now it could also be argued that a tent is like a house or a hotel room and therefore it can be concealed as you are not out and about in public. But.. the written law does not address this issue and there is no case law to look up. There is also no one who you could call to verify. There is no law regarding CCW inside your tent.

So.. .that being said it is a guess. I would be comfortable in my tent with a covered gun. I doubt any cop will hassle you for that. But if you are not comfortable with that, then leave it visible. If you are not comfortable with that, then bring a locked case.

Back
Top Bottom