• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hydo dip/ hydrographic

You can buy hydro dip kits for ~$100. I always wanted to try it...the discussion about pink guns has me jonesing to do one in pink camo for Mrs. Exasperated..

There are a number of online places in the midwest but their prices were not much cheaper than a proper cerakote job plus lead times were long, and with the delivery system unreliable right now, I don’t think I could handle dropping a perfectly good g in the mailbox..

Anyone have experience with DIY hydrodipping as an alternative?

Be warned, hydro dip is not very durable. I had some aluminum wheels done with REALTREE and they chipped pretty easily.
Yeah you need to clear coat it for sure. I did a goalie helmet for my son a few years back and it came out great. Super easy. After a few weeks it was chipped pretty bad. I used spray on clear after to try to save what was left and it worked well.

I want to say I bought the film and activator for less than $50. from one of the 1st sites that popped up when I did a google search. Again, I cant stress how easy it was... I have ZERO artistic talent and even I could do it.

Hydrodip seems sort of old to me now for some reason.
I guess its good for specific patterns that could cost much more if say air brushed with ceracoat?
I always have that thing gnawing at the back of my head about moister getting caught in the nooks and crannies.
I did a diy hydro dip with some left over spray paint. It was just slightly better than leaving the cans on the shelf.

Single shot kiddie .22
I got it on sale and a rebate a few years back. I think the final cost was something ridiculous like $70.

Sorry...I was kidding. I’m bad at jokes.

@mac1911 has entire threads dedicated to his daughters pink rascal. I’m still waiting for him to show up to a CMP match with it.
i was considering the sniper match, just to get franco all WTF JOHN!
Im not sure if I could single load fast enough.

I thought your "scooter" joke was referenced to the Little Rascals. Thats a bit before my time so i had to look to see why i did not remember "scooter"
"Our Gang" was still on when I was a kid but not really on the watch list.

Last edited:
i was considering the sniper match, just to get franco all WTF JOHN!
Im not sure if I could single load fast enough.

I thought your "scooter" joke was referenced to the Little Rascals. Thats a bit before my time so i had to look to see why i did not remember "scooter"
"Our Gang" was still on when I was a kid but not really on the watch list.
Close?

Attachments

• AE1BEF98-34E9-4BAD-B747-0BE541BA82EE.png
    AE1BEF98-34E9-4BAD-B747-0BE541BA82EE.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 0
Just researching this. I’m building an AR for Lady SharkCage and I would like to coat it with digital camo(pink). Is this best done with a dip or just creakote? I’m a total noob on coatings

I used to do Hydrographics at my last shop in NC. The hydrodip will have the most detail and when done right it is durable. Any of the major companies that do it use automotive grade paint products and when prepped properly it will hold up just fine. I have a couple of firearms that we dipped at the shop over 5 years ago at this point. One of which is my EDC that has been in my pocket pretty much every day since then. I am constantly rolling around on the ground, rubbing on things, getting wet etc and the only wear on the graphics is where the stitching of the holster rub. If you throw it on the ground, it is gonna scratch. You do have to be careful cleaning as some chemicals will dull the finish, but I use brake parts cleaner to clean most of my stuff and I haven't had issues. My wifes G19 is dipped in a sugar skull pattern...

I used to do Hydrographics at my last shop in NC. The hydrodip will have the most detail and when done right it is durable. Any of the major companies that do it use automotive grade paint products and when prepped properly it will hold up just fine. I have a couple of firearms that we dipped at the shop over 5 years ago at this point. One of which is my EDC that has been in my pocket pretty much every day since then. I am constantly rolling around on the ground, rubbing on things, getting wet etc and the only wear on the graphics is where the stitching of the holster rub. If you throw it on the ground, it is gonna scratch. You do have to be careful cleaning as some chemicals will dull the finish, but I use brake parts cleaner to clean most of my stuff and I haven't had issues. My wifes G19 is dipped in a sugar skull pattern...
suger skulls made me go hmmm
1645757500476.png

Back
Top Bottom