Husky work bench - anyone using one? Update: The results and some good DIY plans.

Whats the stand you have the rock chucker on? I haven't seen that before.
It's the same company that makes them for the Dillion and many other loading machines.

Ultra-mounts by inline fabrication, raises it enough for my height and keeps it out of reach of my wife and Dobby.

Need a bench? I'm clearing out my shop space in Indian Orchard section of Springfield. I have a couple. Both are 2x4 framing with doubled up legs. Tops are 1/4 masonite over 3/4 plywood. Both are 2ft deep, I'm guessing 36" high. The smaller is 6ft long, the other is either 8 or 10ft long. Make an offer! PM your number and I'll text some pics next time I'm there.

Made the first one 6' long, and a second one 4' long, connected them with 2x6's and mounted a 650 between them (low ceiling)
Pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    408.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    491.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1604.JPG
    IMG_1604.JPG
    590 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 43
Like I said, HD has every piece of this in stock and will even cut the plywood for you. If your basement gets a little water now and then, use PT where it touches the floor...

I'm late to the party.
I've had this Husky work bench for years.
I don't know if they're still available or not.
The bottom shelves hold copious amounts of lead ingots, the level is low right now.
The top has supported my Rockchucker though all sorts of case forming theatrics, without breaking.
I cleaned it up just for the photo :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 43
That Harbor freight bench seems like a great deal if it's sturdy enough.. shit.. definitely can't build one that cheap.

now that we've cleaned out the basement a bit, I'm looking to restructure and organize my space a bit more.

It's so inexpensive because it's made of finger-jointed short grain oak cutoffs from some hellhole factory in Guangzhou, and the vice is marshmellow.
It would hold up fine for reloading, but never for woodworking.

It's so inexpensive because it's made of finger-jointed short grain oak cutoffs from some hellhole factory in Guangzhou, and the vice is marshmellow.
It would hold up fine for reloading, but never for woodworking.

yeah.. I'm digging that plan that Wegman shared... priced out at Homedepot.com I have it at $135 give or take.. cheaper if you have some materials already laying around the garage. I'm sure I gotta put the HF one together.. might as well put that one together.

I'm late to the party.
I've had this Husky work bench for years.
I don't know if they're still available or not.
The bottom shelves hold copious amounts of lead ingots, the level is low right now.
The top has supported my Rockchucker though all sorts of case forming theatrics, without breaking.
I cleaned it up just for the photo :cool:
Ahh, I feel calm seeing your style of organization.
OCD benches are a trigger for me! Lol

OK, some followup items here. I did end up getting that bench, i wasn't worried about the front to back stability that was mentioned as i had planned on anchoring it anyway. The metal frame is rather beefy and mostly sturdy. I say mostly because of 2 things that could have been better. 1) The height is adjustable, the clearance between the upper and lower legs is a little to much, i had to torque the bolts down so that the metal deformed and pinched the upper and lower assembly's together. Its good now, but just crappy as i am sure it was left with that amount of play to speed production as this comes fully assembled. 2) The legs fold, an engineer came up with a fantastic idea of a buckle to preload the legs outward in the open position that was executed poorly. Pic of what i am talking about below. 1 side was fine, the other side the closed buckle was loose, so it didn't preload. In my case its a non issue as because its braced anyway, but would not be fun if it was free standing. The frame metal is decently thick, not janky sheet metal. Held a screw studly.
1613360557092.png1613360638098.png
Now the rock chucker, this was a problem. Mounting holes for the press lined up exactly with the frame. Thanks to @HarryPottar Inline fabrication had the answer for this and another problem. I know i want to jump on a progressive press bandwagon and the quick attach mounts are awesome, swap out in just a few minutes. Right now i just have a mounting plate for the press and the wilson case trimmer. They also have plates for vises. I was afraid it would be a little springy, but is "Skookum as frig".
1613361078288.png1613361181527.png1613361297218.png1613361363378.png

Full project:
1613361697290.png

Last edited:
This is on sale today, deal of the day, Wednesday February 17th, 35% off.

OK, some followup items here. I did end up getting that bench, i wasn't worried about the front to back stability that was mentioned as i had planned on anchoring it anyway. The metal frame is rather beefy and mostly sturdy. I say mostly because of 2 things that could have been better. 1) The height is adjustable, the clearance between the upper and lower legs is a little to much, i had to torque the bolts down so that the metal deformed and pinched the upper and lower assembly's together. Its good now, but just crappy as i am sure it was left with that amount of play to speed production as this comes fully assembled. 2) The legs fold, an engineer came up with a fantastic idea of a buckle to preload the legs outward in the open position that was executed poorly. Pic of what i am talking about below. 1 side was fine, the other side the closed buckle was loose, so it didn't preload. In my case its a non issue as because its braced anyway, but would not be fun if it was free standing. The frame metal is decently thick, not janky sheet metal. Held a screw studly.
View attachment 450512View attachment 450513
Now the rock chucker, this was a problem. Mounting holes for the press lined up exactly with the frame. Thanks to @HarryPottar Inline fabrication had the answer for this and another problem. I know i want to jump on a progressive press bandwagon and the quick attach mounts are awesome, swap out in just a few minutes. Right now i just have a mounting plate for the press and the wilson case trimmer. They also have plates for vises. I was afraid it would be a little springy, but is "Skookum as frig".
View attachment 450515View attachment 450516View attachment 450517View attachment 450518

Full project:
View attachment 450522
You can install T trac k and have all sorts of mounting options. I have T track ready to install , i need to make room on the floor to push all the shit on the bench off to and get it installed.
First i need a shelf somewhere to store all the the equipment thats going on plates foe the t track.

I have another bench for reloading but I built a work bench for my garage that turned out absolutely great. Google Shanty2Chic - 2 young women who post plans for DIY furniture. Their own workbench is what I built. Theirs is 36" wide but I ended up taking it apart and cutting the width down to 30" to fit the space in my garage. I also added heavy duty 5" caster wheels to make it mobile but that was just for how I intended to use it. I love it - rock solid - I put a large vise on one end (over the leg) and its still steady. I forget but I think their worksurface is pressed wood - I had a sheet of 3/8" plywood so used that instead. I hit it with a sander when it gets munged up a bit and will be a simple task to replace it if necessary.

Wonder if this would work okay for a Dillon 550c? Wheels do lock, FWIW. I could do the 60" Harbor Freight, but it's a bit longer than ideal.

Husky 46 in. Adjustable Height Work Table-HOLT46XDB12 - The Home Depot
I think it might be OK if you can anchor it to a wall. it seems a little shaky. Best if you could try it in person. In my non professional and not fully informed opinion, i think you would want a strong mount for the 550 so you dont have the press hanging off the edge. More downward pressure over the T frame would be best. YMMV, this advice is worh as much as you paid for it.

You can install T trac k and have all sorts of mounting options. I have T track ready to install , i need to make room on the floor to push all the shit on the bench off to and get it installed.
First i need a shelf somewhere to store all the the equipment thats going on plates foe the t track.
The ultimate reloader guy on youtube has this setup. It does indeed look awesome. Id favor steel channels over alu, if you can find them.

I think it might be OK if you can anchor it to a wall. it seems a little shaky. Best if you could try it in person. In my non professional and not fully informed opinion, i think you would want a strong mount for the 550 so you dont have the press hanging off the edge. More downward pressure over the T frame would be best. YMMV, this advice is worh as much as you paid for it.
I think I'm going to try it with the strong mount. Looking at the Home Depot reviews I saw a pic of one with a 550 on a strong mount.

Back
Top Bottom