Hurricane Season 2018

As the title says, I got my annual "WHAT YOU GONNA DO?" email at work. And, no one has created a thread in here for a bit.

While hurricanes up in the majority of posters areas are rare, time to check the gear and be ready. I've always kept my 'important' stuff on the second floor, so no need to do much work there. I need to buy a case of some tasty beverage and set it aside for the event if it happens.

Personally, I'm going to explore alternative evac routes and make sure they are open for travel. Road construction closing down a lane or two could gum up my plans if the time comes to leave. It sucks living basically on an island. Only major ways out of here are on bridges, the other ways out will go under water with enough rain.

I really need to burn off the diesel in my truck since it's pretty much been sitting for almost a year at this point. I fire it up every week and let it get to operating temps, but a diesel just doesn't burn gas at idle.

I probably need to fire up the generator, been 2 years since it was fired. Dumb.

Good supplies of staples already in the house. Good supply of bottled water. Just have to worry about the bread and milk shortage because people are dumb.

On a serious note, time for the summer thunderstorms and the associated misery to start up. Consider this my public awareness good deed for the day. Time to change gears from winter problems to summer problems.

Yeah, time to check the backpack in the trunk of my car, and top off the jump-start battery. Have already been repacking the downstairs freezer with goodies, probably need to add a couple loaves of bread.

Almost as important as evacuation routes are the return routes.

The local authorities will almost certainly block the main roads in for several days. If you have a plan for a back way in that they won't block then you stand a chance at salvaging/protecting your property after the storm has passed.

Six inches of water in a house can be taken care of fairly easily if you can get to it in the first 24 hours. You cut the dry wall, peel off the bottom soaked part, strip out the soaked insulation and then start on the carpets, etc. Repair is letting it all dry out and fixing the drywall. If you can't get back in for a week, you have to strip all the drywall and insulation and deal with the mold issues. One is a house you can save and potentially live in while the work is done. The other may not be considered repairable and you can't or don't want to be in it while repairs are underway.

They are already up to the letter F? My brother just moved last month from Maine to Sneads Ferry, NC and it looks like a popular spot for hurricanes to hit. He's always well prepared though

As of now, it looks like the Northeast will not be affected much by Florence

In the Cone: Florence Takes Aim at the Southeast U.S. by Dr. Jeff Masters | Category 6

Most of you guys need to be ready for a couple days of heavy rain is all.

Isaac is 'coming right for me', time to batten some hatches. How much is spins up in the Caribbean and the Gulf is the only thing I'm worried about. Have food for a couple weeks on hand. If it's a Cat 3 or higher, may move family inland and ride it out by myself.

Most of you guys need to be ready for a couple days of heavy rain is all.

Isaac is 'coming right for me', time to batten some hatches. How much is spins up in the Caribbean and the Gulf is the only thing I'm worried about. Have food for a couple weeks on hand. If it's a Cat 3 or higher, may move family inland and ride it out by myself.
Stay safe!

A lot can happen in the next 3 days, hopefully it starts turning north and stays out to sea but at the moment it sure isn’t looking good for those of you in The Virginia to SC area. Hopefully the weather people are just antsy for the first storm of the season that will effect the main land... not that they ever do that :rolleyes:. I would like to retire to that area someday and while I love the ocean it wouldn’t be too close to the coast. Hopping for the best for everyone down there. That much water surely won’t be a good thing. Stay safe!

Flo

Is4ol2Q.gif

Live streaming camera from former CG Light Station platform 34 miles off the coast of NC:

I don't imagine there will be much left of that flag by the time this is over.

So not a lot of information but there were ham radio hurricane nets set up so hams can monitor the scene with the radio. I think one station that se tup yesterday was 14.325.

I used echolink and although there were several nets set up I have been getting periodic updates on *KA1AAA*h.florence

I'm glad the storm wasn't as powerful as originally predicted but it was cool to listen in on this. They are still not out of it and probably won't be able to assess all the damage until after the weekend. The storm surge looked pretty horrible too.

Last edited:
Do we have a thread talking about Michael yet, or did Florence burn everybody out. 150mph with landfall approaching.

Back
Top Bottom