• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting

Just about any shotgun with a stock is fine. I prefer to use a single shot, my son uses my double barrel and pump and my semi doesn’t get used much, but is a fine gun.
Shotguns are real simple guns, we can argue about the best brand or action all day, but they all work.

if NEF was still in business I would grab a single shot rifled barrel, at least for whitetail or bear, waterfowl I would opt for something in semiauto

Which shotgun is good for hunting
I’ll assume you’re new to shooting and will be nice.

Your question is too broad. We’ll need more details.

- What will you be hunting?
- Where will you be hunting?
- How are you with recoil?
- What’s your budget?

Also, I would recommend rifles for most non-bird game. Of course, that depends on local/state hunting regulations and you can’t hunt deer in MA with a rifle.

I think the best all-around shotgun is any 12ga pump. Can’t go wrong with a mossberg 500 or used Remington 870. I bought a used 500 a couple years ago for $300, came with a scoped rifled barrel and a 28” smooth barrel with 3 chokes. You could hunt everything from a chipmunk to a grizzly

Remington 870 Express combo. 12 gauge, 3" chamber. comes with rifled slug barrel and smooth bore vent rib barrel that'll take a variety of chokes. Pump action is foolproof (trust me I'm a fool and I can't get it not to work). Add an 18" home defense barrel too and there's not much you can't do with it.

Remington 870 sooper dooper magnum express combo. Jack.

I have a couple 870 combos, 12 ga super mag and 20 ga mag. There's really not much more you need sans a couple more chokes to round them out. I did add two more rifle sighted smooth bores to the 12. One has a choke system, the other does not. The one without I keep on it along with a stack of 00 buck.

The lower is also a combo with 12 and 20 barrels. There's a couple 12 ga coach guns floating around and an excellent condition Sweet Sixteen.

Shotguns.JPG

I like my Remy 870, but I find my semi-auto CZ to be the gun of choice hunting.
the only shotty i have now is the older 1st gen beretta 1301 comp, in 24" - and it is a one nice shotgun, pretty well balanced for what it is. would be just fine for anything.
i still kinda wonder if a400 would be nicer, but, as i never use even the old one...

I like my Remy 870, but I find my semi-auto CZ to be the gun of choice hunting.
Yeah, pumps are great but ill take a good semi all day over a pump. My M1 Super 90 has never failed, no matter the conditions.

I’ve been using my Remington 20 gauge that I’ve got when I was 11. Never managed to kill any deer with it though. I also have a Mossberg that I won a raffle first time my brother uses that he pegs a deer.

The irony is he’s an idiot who never has front sights on his gun and they’re always untested..

Loan him the gun for a day it comes back it’s missing the front sight..

He’s also the same kind of guy who shoot a deer four times walks up to it and shoot it again point blank.

“ It’s still alive”

His first shot blew off its front leg and its lungs. The thing was dead to rights after one shot.

Then he asked me “what we do now”

Kid was throwing up and complaining about the smell of the meat when I gutted it it.

I cooked him up a roast and now he’s in love with venison

As most have said, a pump shotgun is a good place to start. Get a 24-26 in barrel if possible with screw in chokes. Most people can shoot a 12 gauge, it can shoot more pellets out in the pattern than a smaller gauge. It may recoil a bit more depending on the shell. But you can find 1 oz. loads if you are recoil sensitive. Deer slugs recoil more as well as buckshot. But this one gun will kill birds and deer.
Once you decide you want to do this you can add other barrels or buy another shotgun (they are like potato chips...you can't just have 1). If you decide hunting is not for you, just get an 18 inch barrel and you have a home defense shotgun. I should add a mossberg or maverick will get you start for low money.

I currently hunt birds with a semi auto 20 gauge, but I have been hunting a long time and this is what I like.

Back
Top Bottom