Hunting with my ar15

Are you referring to:

(d)] (g)A person who has been issued a certificate of possession of an assault weapon under this section may possess [it] such assault weapon only under the following conditions:

(1)At that person's residence, place of business or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission;

(2)While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets;
(3)While on a target range which holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range;
(4)While on the premises of a licensed shooting club;
(5)While attending any exhibition, display or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms; or
(6)While transporting the assault weapon between any of the places mentioned in this subsection, or to any licensed gun dealer, as defined in subsection (d) of section 53-202f, for servicing or repair pursuant to subsection (c) of section 53-202f, provided the assault weapon is transported as required by section 53-202f.

As hunting with a rifle is legal only on private land, I believe that condition 1 would satisfy that.

Last edited:
Exactly.

The OP is fine to hunt with his AR since DPS regs only allow a centerfire rifle to be used on private land for hunting.

One thing I don't remember is what you can actually hunt for with something chambered in .223. Unless you have it chambered in something larger than .223 you can't hunt deer with it, .223 is too small to be legal. I think it would be fine for Coyote

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.The AR that I have is a 6.8 so deer hunting is a go. I have a next door neighbor that is getting up there in age so my kids and I help out,opening pool cleaning up round farm and in turn she let us hunt and shoot out back it works out for the both of us

Also make sure you get a mag thats of legal capacity. My deer gun only holds 3 in the mag so I never thought much about it. But I'd bet the legal max is something less than a standard AR mag. When you find out what the max for hunting is in CT, please post it here. I'm curious what it is.

Last edited:
Also make sure you get a mag thats of legal capacity. My deer gun only holds 3 in the mag so I never thought much about it. But I'd bet the legal max is something less than a standard AR mag. When you find out what the max is in CT, please post it here. I'm curious what it is.

My buddy just moved to ct so I will most likely hunt with him their too and would like to know this.

What type if 6.8? I'm in the middle of a 6.8 build myself.

My buddy just moved to ct so I will most likely hunt with him their too and would like to know this.

What type if 6.8? I'm in the middle of a 6.8 build myself.

My 6.8 is a stag 7H, as for how much ammo is in your gun (rifle) these is no limit other than the (NEW TEN ROUND LIMIT),Just got off phone with them. Shotgun has a 3 round limit.

Thanks for the reply.The AR that I have is a 6.8 so deer hunting is a go. I have a next door neighbor that is getting up there in age so my kids and I help out,opening pool cleaning up round farm and in turn she let us hunt and shoot out back it works out for the both of us

All I knew was the 3 shot limit for bird hunting.

Except for early season goose. The idea there is to give the hunter every advantage to eradicate resident Canadas. So no mag limit and a 10 bird daily bag limit. Typically in Aug or early Sept. So you hunt in shorts and flipflops.

Not to turn this political, but I hunted early season goose with a guy who put an 8 round extension mag tube on his 1100. He's a bit of a FUD and he nearly fell over when I told him that his semi-auto shotgun with a fixed mag capacity in excess of 7 rounds was an Assault Weapon. Ha.

well, its probably less than seven, because according to our next door neighbor gov, "you dont need more than seven rounds to shot a deer"

All I knew was the 3 shot limit for bird hunting.

Except for early season goose. The idea there is to give the hunter every advantage to eradicate resident Canadas. So no mag limit and a 10 bird daily bag limit. Typically in Aug or early Sept. So you hunt in shorts and flipflops.

Not to turn this political, but I hunted early season goose with a guy who put an 8 round extension mag tube on his 1100. He's a bit of a FUD and he nearly fell over when I told him that his semi-auto shotgun with a fixed mag capacity in excess of 7 rounds was an Assault Weapon. Ha.

I thought a semi-shotgun is an AW only if it has both a "collapsing/folding stock AND a pistol grip" now?

I hate the "you don't need more than X rounds" approach. Slippery slope argument, and ultimately you walk away with less than you started with in the compromise.

Last edited:
I hate the "you don't need more than X rounds" approach. Slippery slope argument, and ultimately you walk away with less than you started with in the compromise.

You have to stop shilling your product. You can't just show up and start pitching.

Sign up as a vendor if you want. I will see one of your products in the flesh within a couple of days. I'll report back to the community once I install it. In the mean time, lighten up. This is the 4th CT AWB thread where you've jumped in with a Pitch.

It was just funny. I went on the site and you were EVERYWHERE. Ha. Good luck with your idea. I think its a winner.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought a semi-shotgun is an AW only if it has both a "collapsing/folding stock AND a pistol grip" now?

You are right. I was wrong. I guess I proved my own point, that we need review the statute every time we reference it or we will make mistakes. In the case of a shotgun, the applicable definition required that it have either a pistol grip or a detachable mag for it to be an AW with a capacity of greater than 5 rounds.

Here is the applicable (old NO LONGER VALID) AWB.

DON

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescoping stock;

ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Last edited:
You are right it"s a heavy gun for the wood. I will be getting a bolt action this year for deer maybe a 308 with a 18" max barrel. But i will get another deer this year with my AR-15. I have worked up a load for this rifle and i can shoot the 10 in the center all day long at 100 yards.I have a sweet spot to hunt and the apples tree have put out some apples this year and i have a 300 yard clear shoot. HAPPY,HAPPY,HAPPY

I know this is old and this is a legal forum. But I just thought I'd kick in some info

I recently built up an AR15 in .223 that weighs 6 lbs 2 ounces WITH a scope. Unscoped it was 5 lbs 2 ounces.

I'm in the process of talking to barrel companies about a lightweight 6.5 Grendel barrel for another lightweight upper build. I'm hoping to end up with a scoped AR in a deer killing caliber that weighs less than 6.5 lbs.

Lightweight tweaks were all done with cost in mind. There are no exotic low mass operating system parts in this gun. The crux of it are

GWACS Lower
Standard Upper with no dust cover
Lightweight barrel
Aluminum JP gas block
Standard weight spring and buffer
Light and short AAC muzzle brake
Carbon fiber handguard

Things I will be able to do to shave even more weight include the following. I already have most of these parts on hand.

Replacing the Nikon Monarch scope with a smaller, lighter Leupold scope that i have
Replacing the Leupold mount with a smaller and lighter Nikon mount. (funny huh?)
Replacing the standard buffer with a light weight buffer. - This is fine because this is not a military firearm. Its a toy. It is kept scrupulously clean. With adjustable gas block I can turn the gas down to accommodate a lighter buffer or softer spring.
Replace the M16 bolt carrier with an AR15 bolt carrier.
Replace the mil spec upper with an upper that does not have a forward assist.

Last edited:
The upper is not the "firearm". Only the lower is. I'm planning, once I have more money, time, patience, etc, to build a MK12 Mod 0 upper to go with my 14.5 I have.

EC but the lightest AR I have ever held. Might weigh 5# total. I had the parts list until tapatalk happened.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Roscho. You can gwt any part you want. Even an AR lower. An AR lower is no different than a Rem 1100 receiver. Either could be built into a compliant firearm or an illegal assault weapon.

The harder thing is finding someone to sell you one. But again, if you wish to remain legal, you can only build that lower into a compliant firearm. That could still be an AR. For a hunting gun, you could build a full semi-auto gun with a fixed 10 round mag. That keeps you legal and you get to have fun with an AR out in the woods.

Remember, the key part of PA13-3 is the initial definiton clause of an assault weapon that says:

[(A)] (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following: . . .

So if you change it so it is either not semi-automatic or does not have the ability to accept a detachable magazine, then none of the other provisions even matter.

In my opinion, losing the ability to change magazines is not a problem in a deer rifle.

You could legally build a rifle just like the one I showed above (which I registered, yes, I'm a sheep) but with a fixed 10 round mag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
First sorry for being off the topic of this thread, but I wanted to clear something up...

Don - I know you are the resident expert on CT gun laws and I do frequently come to you with questions. However in my reading of the AWB an AR is different than XXXX because its named on the banned list.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise wouldn't the various ugly "non pistol grip" ARs be legal in CT?

From PA no. 13-3, page 26-27, Sec. 25. Section 53-202a
(B) Any of the following specified semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or
duplicates thereof with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production prior to
or on the effective date of this section:
(i) AK-47; (ii) AK-74; (iii) AKM; (iv) AKS-74U; (v)
ARM; (vi) MAADI AK47; (vii) MAK90; (viii) MISR; (ix) NHM90 and NHM91; (x)Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S; (xi) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47; (xii) SA 85; (xiii)
SA 93; (xiv) VEPR; (xv) WASR-10; (xvi) WUM; (xvii) Rock River Arms LAR-47; (xviii)
Vector Arms AK-47; (xix) AR-10; (xx) AR-15; (xxi) Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster
XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; (xxii) Colt Match Target Rifles;
(xxiii) Armalite M15; (xxiv) Olympic Arms AR-15,

Woda,

I'm not comfortable with the term expert. But I'm fairly familiar with CT laws and have people more knowledgeable than me who I can fall back on in a pinch. In short, you are mistaken.

The term AR15 is a registered trademark of Colt's. So if it doesn't say AR15 on the side, its not an AR15. The ATF is very very specific about what a model name is. It needs to be printed on the side of a receiver.

If you look at the model name of any other brand of AR15 style firearm, it has some other name besides AR15 The named list on the new law hits many of the brands available. But it does not mention any of the brands of AR lowers that are sold as just lowers.

This includes Aeroprecision, Noveske, Mega, white oak, just off the top of my head. The reality is that you will have no trouble finding a lower that does not have one of the prohibited names on it.

If you want more details, PM me.

By the way. Stag arms is now selling CT compliant AR15s. They are in the old post ban configuration and contain a .22 conversion bolt. These guns, for sale in CT, use a standard AR upper, lower, barrel, and fire control parts.

Here is a link to their page:
https://www.stagarms.com/post-ban-i...13022049|a34f2010-32ef-4da7-80f0-fcfbc30d0e0c

And here is the text on the page for those who are too lazy to click:

Connecticut - $50.00

Rifle Information: 22LR conversion kit installed instead of a bolt carrier, modified receiver extension tube, no bayonet lug, non-adjustable buttstock, and pinned muzzle brake.
Model 3G series and Model 3T-M series will have the Magpul ACS buttstock pinned in place.
Model series 5 and 7 are not available in a CT post-ban configuration.
**If you purchased your rifle prior to 4/4/13 and registered it as an "assault weapon" before 1/1/14 with the State of Connecticut you can put pre-ban uppers on your lower.
Magazine Capacity: 10 round 22LR

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom