Hunting target scope for SCAR 17s?

I picked up a scar over the weekend and am trying to figure out the best optic for it. Research shows that the Scar is tough on scopes. I am looking to use this rifle for target shooting out to 300 yards and hunting hogs and whitetail out to 200 yards. I wear glasses so eye relief is important and the highest magnification on a scope is usually useless to me. I see quite a few recommendations for the nightforce 2.5x10, but I am not spending $2000 on an optic. I would also like a little more magnification since I use my scope as a spotting scope occasionally when hunting. I would like to spend under $1000, ideally around $500.

Right now, the Vortex Viper PST II line seems to be a front-runner to me. It comes FFP which is interesting from a quick holdover calculation perspective when hunting. I am leaning towards the
3-15x44 FFP version since that is magnification I use when hunting now. I also really like the zero lock for quick changes. Since it has the holdover lock, maybe the FFP is not as interesting to me?

I was also looking at the Nikon x1000 series of scopes.

Any other scopes in the price range I should be looking at? Any opinion on the 2x10 vs the 3x15?

thanks,
Chris

What about a 3.5x ACOG? Can’t get tougher and they have decent eye relief (2.5” I think). On sale they are around the $1k mark.

If the SCAR is rough on scopes, which I didn't know (but don't doubt it), then you want overbuilt. Overbuilt scopes are pricey. You're not going anywhere with a $500 budget. Sorry. The people who suggested Nightforce were on the right track. USO, S&B, high end Leupolds are others to look into. Or just go with a primary arms 4-14 and keep sending it in for repairs for lens tilts and stuff like that. In my experience, expensive gear is not always great, but cheap gear is always cheap for a reason. Buy once, cry once.

I called Vortex and they suggested only looking at their Razor HD series due to the recoil.

He suggested the 1x6, but I am still not convinced I can hit a basketball sized target at 300 yards max with a 6x scope. I am not an operator and do not intend to get involved in CQB...

I am now looking at the Razor HD II 3-18x50 FFP

It is around $1500 plus mount which is much more than I wanted to spend.

Chris

My scar ate a pst in less than one magazine. (Illumination no longer works). Surprisingly a lower tier strike eagle 1-8 has survived about 200rds. Eventually I’ll put a razor2e on it.

I picked up a scar over the weekend and am trying to figure out the best optic for it. Research shows that the Scar is tough on scopes. I am looking to use this rifle for target shooting out to 300 yards and hunting hogs and whitetail out to 200 yards. I wear glasses so eye relief is important and the highest magnification on a scope is usually useless to me. I see quite a few recommendations for the nightforce 2.5x10, but I am not spending $2000 on an optic. I would also like a little more magnification since I use my scope as a spotting scope occasionally when hunting. I would like to spend under $1000, ideally around $500.

Right now, the Vortex Viper PST II line seems to be a front-runner to me. It comes FFP which is interesting from a quick holdover calculation perspective when hunting. I am leaning towards the
3-15x44 FFP version since that is magnification I use when hunting now. I also really like the zero lock for quick changes. Since it has the holdover lock, maybe the FFP is not as interesting to me?

I was also looking at the Nikon x1000 series of scopes.

Any other scopes in the price range I should be looking at? Any opinion on the 2x10 vs the 3x15?

thanks,
Chris

Forgive me a minute,
You spend 3k on a scar but only want to spend $500-1000 on a scope. I don’t see why the scar is tough on optics. I’m not buying the recoil impulse from the BCG slaking home either. My god there’s plenty of semi auto 308s out there that have been beating the sknot out of optics for a few centuries now. Now maybe back when the crosshairs where actually HAIR!
All but the cheap POS optics out there will hold up well.

My only other advice. Trying to find one scope to “target” and “hunt” with on a scar platform??? You could sell the scare and buy 2 rifles with optics for each job for the $4k you will have into the SCAR/Mount/Optic

Last : do yourself a favor if your serious about optics on your scar. Buy 2 mounts and 2 scopes
One for hunting and one for target shooting< I assume target shooting means shooting the smallest group possible.
Or buy a decent 3x9 compact that can “handle” the scar and zero it for 50 yards and if you can hold and shoot 4-5moa hit anything out to 300 is yards yards in the kill zone?

Last edited:
I don't get the "tough on optics" schtick either. It's a gas-operated rifle which means each individual shot is less wear and tear on the optic than one from a bolt action rifle. Your intended purpose is hunting so you're probably not mag-dumping on these optics either. If it's that big a deal, save money on the variable power scope and get a fixed-power with more durability. Frankly most fixed-power optics at $500 should hold up to .308 mag-dumps.

I called Vortex and they suggested only looking at their Razor HD series due to the recoil.

He suggested the 1x6, but I am still not convinced I can hit a basketball sized target at 300 yards max with a 6x scope. I am not an operator and do not intend to get involved in CQB...

Chris

no sarcasm here but have you tried to shoot a basketball at 300? you really don't need any mag at all. if you're good with fixed power you can get much better glass at your price point. something like this would be great, IMO

Sightron SIII 10x42mm MMD Riflescope, Modified Mil Dot Reticle SIII10X42MMD, Color: Black, Tube Diameter: 30 mm, 33% Off w/ Free S&H

I purchased Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 for use with a .224 Valkrie upper on an MSR lower. The rifle is not in Massachusetts and I have only fired it once with this new setup. The optic sells for around $500. I'm not a hunter but my setup can certainly easily reach out to a target at 300 yards like your .308 will.

Why not just get a nice bolt action hunting rifle and a 3x9 scope? You should be able to do that for well under $1K. Then, save up for a nice optic for your Scar rifle.

What did that SCAR 17 cost you, ~$3k? Why are you all of a sudden pumping the brakes on the spending?

Yes, you can easily see a basketball at 300 yards with a 6x scope. Hitting it is up to you.

Yes, SCAR 17s are hard on everything. They will break all of your bargain optics and flashlights.

Why not just get a nice bolt action hunting rifle and a 3x9 scope? You should be able to do that for well under $1K. Then, save up for a nice optic for your Scar rifle.

This is probably the best advice here.

What did that SCAR 17 cost you, ~$3k? Why are you all of a sudden pumping the brakes on the spending?

Yes, you can easily see a basketball at 300 yards with a 6x scope. Hitting it is up to you.

Yes, SCAR 17s are hard on everything. They will break all of your bargain optics and flashlights.

This is probably the best advice here.

Exactly, hunting and target are not things I associate with a SCAR. We're talking house to house hostage rescue and shit!

Chris

Exactly, hunting and target are not things I associate with a SCAR. We're talking house to house hostage rescue and shit!

OP explicitly said he was going to be "hunting hogs and whitetail" out to 200 yards. I can see the benefit of the SCAR over say grandpappy's bolt gun for hunting aggrieved piggies. The thing is though... hog hunting is up close and personal, as is most deer hunting east of the Appalachians. So OP would, in fact, be better off with an ACOG or some lightly magnified reflex or red dot sight. Search YouTube for "Georgia Hog Hunting" and you'll see that it's very up close and personal. There's also videos of 7-10 year olds using what looks like a .243 bolt action out of a blind at no more than 30 yards.

Also, what does OP mean by "target shooting"? Two or three gun? Bench rest precision? Steel plates?

I don't get the "tough on optics" schtick either. It's a gas-operated rifle which means each individual shot is less wear and tear on the optic than one from a bolt action rifle. Your intended purpose is hunting so you're probably not mag-dumping on these optics either. If it's that big a deal, save money on the variable power scope and get a fixed-power with more durability. Frankly most fixed-power optics at $500 should hold up to .308 mag-dumps.
“Less wear and tear...than...from a bolt action”? Lol. Is that sarcasm? I hope so

Forgive me a minute,
You spend 3k on a scar but only want to spend $500-1000 on a scope. I don’t see why the scar is tough on optics. I’m not buying the recoil impulse from the BCG slaking home either. My god there’s plenty of semi auto 308s out there that have been beating the sknot out of optics for a few centuries now. Now maybe back when the crosshairs where actually HAIR!
All but the cheap POS optics out there will hold up well.

My only other advice. Trying to find one scope to “target” and “hunt” with on a scar platform??? You could sell the scare and buy 2 rifles with optics for each job for the $4k you will have into the SCAR/Mount/Optic

Last : do yourself a favor if your serious about optics on your scar. Buy 2 mounts and 2 scopes
One for hunting and one for target shooting< I assume target shooting means shooting the smallest group possible.
Or buy a decent 3x9 compact that can “handle” the scar and zero it for 50 yards and if you can hold and shoot 4-5moa hit anything out to 300 is yards yards in the kill zone?
Go to the optics section of the fnforum. There’s like a 50pg thread of dead optics that failed on scar17’s. It’s a known issue and I’m also a data point as mine ate a vortex viper PST in extremely short order.

“Less wear and tear...than...from a bolt action”? Lol. Is that sarcasm? I hope so

No, please explain how one shot from a gas operated rifle imparts more energy to the scope than one from a bolt action given the same cartridge.

first off, OP thank you for starting some threads lately pertaining to firearms. i visit this forum to talk shop and seems less and less actual nerdy gun talk lately and more 2A mansplaining.

--

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

or an 10x42 with an RMR sitting on a 45 deg mount

--
No, please explain how one shot from a gas operated rifle imparts more energy to the scope than one from a bolt action given the same cartridge.

bolt actions are harmless to a scope. rearward recoil is a slow process. the optic can handle it. when the bolt goes forward into battery it's a very rapid and sharp force exerted on the entire rifle and optic. heavier action and springs create more of this forward force. autoloading 308's are notoriously harsh on optics especially if they're long stroke piston variety. the FAL and SCAR might be the two worst. the ultimate optic eater is an air rifle at least so i am told. they have a heavy ass recoil spring that rapes the glass.

an FAL will eat your glass so fast. for this reason i would go with a military grade optic. lots of great options

-SWFA straight power as above - this is a $300 optic that has excellent glass, reticle, turret tracking and will survive on a SCAR
-eotech EXPS2 or 3 with a magnifier - which i dig
-aimpoint
-high end glass like a razor HD E or equivalent
-leupold Mark 4 should be OK but don't quote me on that

Last edited:
Also this

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...4_10155150978925337_7821423896258348635_n.jpg

17021384_10155150978925337_7821423896258348635_n.jpg

Nightforce NX8 and Alcan SpecterDR would be my go to if I owned a scar 17.

Attachments

• 4F91DB79-FBC7-4D04-A819-EB1B41736967.jpeg
    4F91DB79-FBC7-4D04-A819-EB1B41736967.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
  • B9C1B031-1310-472C-A24E-CD66A5BDE400.jpeg
    B9C1B031-1310-472C-A24E-CD66A5BDE400.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom