Hunting start time clarification

Noones going to tell me i cant carry a load shotgun on my own property..and if the issue of once me leaving private property im "hunting" i dont see anyone reasonable game warden breaking my balls....

I'm not at all certain this is the case. Although you may indeed have temporary stewardship of the land, I'm pretty certain F&W believes any wild animals on it belong to the state.

I'm not at all certain this is the case. Although you may indeed have temporary stewardship of the land, I'm pretty certain F&W believes any wild animals on it belong to the state.

This is the case, and even on your own land if your walking in the dark to your stand with a loaded gun, I'm pretty sure the EPO can and probably would try and get you for hunting. If your in your yard barefoot in your undies investigating a noise around the house with a loaded shotgun...very unlikely.

In MA, the game rules are pretty much written so if your spooking wildlife, you can technically be written up for hunting. So the laws are written in the game warden's favor of charging you for anything and everything.

But in most cases if your on your own land and away from any neighbors who might call about something.......you will never see and EPO on private land in MA, unless there has been a call in for suspicious activity. They generally prowl state lands and roadside parking areas. In almost 40 years of hunting, I've had one interaction with a Fish Cop while hunting pheasant 40 feet off of a dirt road, in WMA, the guy didn't even get out of his truck, just called me over to check that I had my hunting lic.

If you duck hunt a lot, then maybe there is more interactions, as there are lots of little laws to break, having the right stamps, shooting the right duck speicies, 3 shot plug, etc..etc. Usually its a parking area or boat ramp with lots of hunters or fisherman congregated together. The Fish Cops go where they can get the best bang writing tickets. They are very unlikely to be at your back forty looking for you walking around in the dark unless there's been a call by somebody for some reason in that area, about shooting deer in the dark or something.

Other states like ME, NH...they might be a little more into stuff like that, but most of the time, there is a call about poaching or a problem before any type of sting is set up. Then they setup the "Northwoods Fish Cop" deer and wait for someone to shoot it.
Which to me is borderline entrapment...but whatever.

Last edited:
Its not a matter of "belief" that wild animals on private property belong to them....its a fact.

You may own land......but the wild fauna that walk on it and fly over it are public domain. Period. That is why if you have your own private land......you can hunt it without a license (in some states) but still need to obey season, bag, possession, and hunting implement rules.

this law works both ways.....hunters and anti hunters can get pinged on it. In CT a few years back a woman was baiting and penning in deer on her property to "save them from the hunters" during deer season. She got hammered by the fish and game! She tried to claim they were hers because they were on her property! WRONG!

Last edited:
I've shot a lot of deer minutes after first legal light....when you would have just walked in. But that's OK I like hunters like you that push deer around at first light walking to your stands. That's why I'm at my stand at least an hour early. I don't load up until legal shooting time, which for me with a single shot is easy and quiet.

In general, early morning theres the least amount of wind, so the permeate/scent thing is usually not an issue. Noise is generally not a factor either, most deer probably assume you are another deer in the dark. I've gotten on stand, let things calm down til sunrise made a few calls and like clock work, here comes a buck,looking for that doe (me) he heard in the dark on that ridge above the bedding area where he was laying.

...and I hope you continue to do so... :) as I would say the same about you my friend. I used to think like you too. In the stand an hour+ before first light... Just to clarify too - I'm in the stand at first light now - but not before. But my views have evolved. Now many of the exit routes I set up and have success on are exit routes I know will see traffic resulting from other hunters in stands too early. I also set up on bedding areas that I know won't see activity until folks start pressuring deer into them. So a large part of my strategy is relying on people who hunt like you do. I think I'm doing alright. So far I've passed on 21 shot opportunities this season because it wasn't the specific animal I was after on the given piece of land or I wasn't 100% confident in the shot. (I do keep a journal.)

You're right about the mornings being calm and having the least amount of wind. But that's the problem (not the solution that you make it out to be) and that's exactly why your scent will permeate the woods. Because there isn't a consistent wind to blow it in a specific direction. Rather light winds are also variable winds in both speed and direction. Mix in some thermals and you have light winds that will basically blow in every direction. Consequently you will be detectable from every direction. The longer you're in the stand - the greater the distance this becomes the case. Try this sometime.... Drop a continuous stream of milk weed or cotton strands/threads pealed from a cotton ball and observe. Watch what happens to your scent stream 20, 30, 40, 50+ yards from your stand. I think you would be surprised. A deer can pick you off from 100+ easily... So keep that in mind. You're bumping animals you're not even seeing.

...now add in the fact that mature animals will always scent check their bedding areas before proceeding and you have a recipe for being busted. They may not always scent check form the downwind side either. In those light and variable winds the thermal activity is usually as strong as then the wind. So they can actually be upwind and scent check the area based on thermal drafts as opposed to wind direction. This is what mature animals do. Once they detect a hunter they avoid the entire area. Winds also swirl in hill country or over terrain, changes in the canopy, etc. and the deer use that to their advantage. That behavior is what I base my hunts around.

During the rut - deer do stupid things. It's the only time they start to show a kink in their armor. And during the rut - people who are in the stand well before light probably see a lot of activity. Bucks do stupid things - like follow a doe's scent trail even if it's in the direction of a hunter they've detected. I've had success on hunts like that too. But the season is long and the rut is short in comparison... And those rut tactics won't cut it most of the season. Especially early archery.

I also have to disagree about noise not being a factor... Again mature animals will hear a noise and then make their way around the source to the downwind side, scent check the area, bust you and evacuate. They do this at distance and from cover and I would be wiling to wager most hunters bust far more deer that they never see then the ones they do. In the evenings they won't get out of bed until after dark. They hunker down. Once deer feel even the slightest amount of pressure they presume EVERY noise they hear is danger - not another deer as you claim. I've observed deer get bumped out of beds by squirrels and even other deer. I sneak into my stand - every time. Stealth is key... sometimes it may take me an hour+ to sneak into my stand form that last 100 or so yards out. But you bet - I'm getting in there without making a sound. No breaking sticks, crunching leaves, etc. Minimizing movement, etc. and I'm coming in from the downwind side with a predictable wind/thermal direction.

Just this season I was archery hunting in RI on a Sunday. Public land - opening weekend. Evening hunt. Relatively calm day... I saw a mature buck that was bedding about 100ish yards upwind from me get up out of his bed and walk off because another hunter made his way into a fixed position stand he had that was about another 100ish yards farther from the bed then I was. That hunter bumped that buck from 200ish yards away because he walked to his stand on crunchy leaves. He never set eyes on that animal and had no idea it was there or he kicked it up... Neither of us say anything after that. When nothing is moving in the woods they can hear you from faaaar away.... Stealth is key... I look at my hunts as tactical strikes as opposed to carpet bombing.. Hunt smarter not harder kind of thing..

But whatever works man... If you're happy with the quality of animals you're seeing and your rate of success then keep doing whatever you're doing. But I would encourage you to keep an open mind. Don't be so sure and set in your ways as to think there's no better way...

Last edited:
...and I hope you continue to do so... :) as I would say the same about you my friend. I used to think like you too. In the stand an hour+ before first light... Just to clarify too - I'm in the stand at first light now - but not before. But my views have evolved. Now many of the exit routes I set up and have success on are exit routes I know will see traffic resulting from other hunters in stands too early. I also set up on bedding areas that I know won't see activity until folks start pressuring deer into them. So a large part of my strategy is relying on people who hunt like you do. I think I'm doing alright. So far I've passed on 21 shot opportunities this season because it wasn't the specific animal I was after on the given piece of land or I wasn't 100% confident in the shot. (I do keep a journal.)

You're right about the mornings being calm and having the least amount of wind. But that's the problem (not the solution that you make it out to be) and that's exactly why your scent will permeate the woods. Because there isn't a consistent wind to blow it in a specific direction. Rather light winds are also variable winds in both speed and direction. Mix in some thermals and you have light winds that will basically blow in every direction. Consequently you will be detectable from every direction. The longer you're in the stand - the greater the distance this becomes the case. Try this sometime.... Drop a continuous stream of milk weed or cotton strands/threads pealed from a cotton ball and observe. Watch what happens to your scent stream 20, 30, 40, 50+ yards from your stand. I think you would be surprised. A deer can pick you off from 100+ easily... So keep that in mind. You're bumping animals you're not even seeing.

...now add in the fact that mature animals will always scent check their bedding areas before proceeding and you have a recipe for being busted. They may not always scent check form the downwind side either. In those light and variable winds the thermal activity is usually as strong as then the wind. So they can actually be upwind and scent check the area based on thermal drafts as opposed to wind direction. This is what mature animals do. Once they detect a hunter they avoid the entire area. Winds also swirl in hill country or over terrain, changes in the canopy, etc. and the deer use that to their advantage. That behavior is what I base my hunts around.

During the rut - deer do stupid things. It's the only time they start to show a kink in their armor. And during the rut - people who are in the stand well before light probably see a lot of activity. Bucks do stupid things - like follow a doe's scent trail even if it's in the direction of a hunter they've detected. I've had success on hunts like that too. But the season is long and the rut is short in comparison... And those rut tactics won't cut it most of the season. Especially early archery.

I also have to disagree about noise not being a factor... Again mature animals will hear a noise and then make their way around the source to the downwind side, scent check the area, bust you and evacuate. They do this at distance and from cover and I would be wiling to wager most hunters bust far more deer that they never see then the ones they do. In the evenings they won't get out of bed until after dark. They hunker down. Once deer feel even the slightest amount of pressure they presume EVERY noise they here is danger - not another deer as you claim. I've observed deer get bumped out of beds by squirrels and even other deer. I sneak into my stand - every time. Stealth is key... sometimes it may take me an hour+ to sneak into my stand form that last 100 or so yards out. But you bet - I'm getting in there without making a sound. No breaking sticks, crunching leaves, etc. Minimizing movement, etc. and I'm coming in from the downwind side with a predictable wind/thermal direction.

But whatever works man... If you're happy with the quality of animals you're seeing and your rate of success then keep doing whatever you're doing.

Tech tips waisted on know it all gum flappers.

Well articulated, and your evaluation has been my experience as well, with good results for 30 seasons.
The first 5 were learning curve.

I'm not. Being in the stand during hours you can't hunt does not improve your odds. It lowers them IMHO. All you're accomplishing is having your scent permeate the woods. I want to get into the stand just a few minutes before opening hours. I know about the argument of letting the woods settle after you hike in.... I think stinking up the woods does more damage to the hunt then the noise made if you hustle in.

I think thats bull , i wear scent lock clothing and would rather make all the noise getting to my stand before the deer start moving . I get settled in an hour before day light becuase thats when the deer start moving. Sure you sometimes push deer going in but thats gonna happen if its daylight or dark and chances are you wont get a shot anyways. I generally can get to my stand without making any noise at all with minimall scent being layed down.

I think thats bull , i wear scent lock clothing and would rather make all the noise getting to my stand before the deer start moving . I get settled in an hour before day light becuase thats when the deer start moving. Sure you sometimes push deer going in but thats gonna happen if its daylight or dark and chances are you wont get a shot anyways. I generally can get to my stand without making any noise at all with minimall scent being layed down.
Union deer? They don’t start till 7am?:confused::D

Last edited:

Friend.... don't take this the wrong way because I don't mean to be insulting - but these two statements tell me all I need to know. ScentLok (not scent lock) clothing doesn't work. Also deer don't start moving at daybreak - they're wrapping up... Additionally mature animals are almost always already bedded at day break outside the rut. That means they're done moving by that time - not getting started. But if you want to shoot button bucks and fork horns because they move later in the day and come into your rut funnel from down wind - then by all means - keep thinking ScentLok works and deer move after daybreak outside of the rut.

....whatever makes you happy...

I would suggest you go here:
https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/I2sebywsygos2i5xrqoyl5knnha

and listen to podcasts 13 - 15 though....

There's also clips of a myth busters episode on YouTube where they basically debunk ScentLok. They use everything, the full ScentLok suit, rubber boots, hosed down, etc... Dogs (which don't smell as good as deer) still found them from distance - every time and without difficulty.

But ask yourself --- if you fart in that ScentLok suit - can you still smell it?o_O. Does that ScentLok suit cover your breath?

The activated carbon in those suites are in such trace amounts, they they're at capacity for scent absorption before you even get them out of the store. As for "recharging" them in the dryer - your dryer doesn't get to the required 250 degrees Celsius minimum temp....

I would also suggest you visit this thread:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/scent-control.321977/

Last edited:
Friend.... don't take this the wrong way because I don't mean to be insulting - but these two statements tell me all I need to know. ScentLok (not scent lock) clothing doesn't work. Also deer don't start moving at daybreak - they're wrapping up... Additionally mature animals are almost always already bedded at day break outside the rut. That means they're done moving by that time - not getting started. But if you want to shoot button bucks and fork horns because they move later in the day and come into your rut funnel from down wind - then by all means - keep thinking ScentLok works and deer move after daybreak outside of the rut.

....whatever makes you happy...

I would suggest you go here:
https://play.google.com/music/listen?u=0#/ps/I2sebywsygos2i5xrqoyl5knnha

and listen to podcasts 13 - 15 though....

There's also clips of a myth busters episode on YouTube where they basically debunk ScentLok. They use everything, the full ScentLok suit, rubber boots, hosed down, etc... Dogs (which don't smell as good as deer) still found them from distance - every time and without difficulty.

But ask yourself --- if you fart in that ScentLok suit - can you still smell it?o_O. Does that ScentLok suit cover your breath?

The activated carbon in those suites are in such trace amounts, they they're at capacity for scent absorption before you even get them out of the store. As for "recharging" them in the dryer - your dryer doesn't get to the required 250 degrees Celsius minimum temp....

I would also suggest you visit this thread:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/scent-control.321977/
I know many hunters that are way better at bagging big bucks than me (I suck at it and admittedly hunt for my freezer and enjoy every minute of it)....... But they play the wind not rely on suits and sprays to block their scent. Guys were bagging big bucks long before the suits and spray manufacturers were out there taking people's money. My uncle was hitting big bucks in the 1980s wearing jeans and a carhaart chore coat lol. He scouted....knew where the big boys were bedded down......and snuck in on em with the wind in his face......he didn't get one every year......but as a kid I remember him stoping by the house to show off a few corkers in the back of his old Ford pickup!

Last edited:

I also have to disagree about noise not being a factor... Again mature animals will hear a noise and then make their way around the source to the downwind side, scent check the area, bust you and evacuate. They do this at distance and from cover and I would be wiling to wager most hunters bust far more deer that they never see then the ones they do. In the evenings they won't get out of bed until after dark. They hunker down. Once deer feel even the slightest amount of pressure they presume EVERY noise they hear is danger - not another deer as you claim. I've observed deer get bumped out of beds by squirrels and even other deer. I sneak into my stand - every time. Stealth is key... sometimes it may take me an hour+ to sneak into my stand form that last 100 or so yards out. But you bet - I'm getting in there without making a sound. No breaking sticks, crunching leaves, etc. Minimizing movement, etc. and I'm coming in from the downwind side with a predictable wind/thermal direction.

Just this season I was archery hunting in RI on a Sunday. Public land - opening weekend. Evening hunt. Relatively calm day... I saw a mature buck that was bedding about 100ish yards upwind from me get up out of his bed and walk off because another hunter made his way into a fixed position stand he had that was about another 100ish yards farther from the bed then I was. That hunter bumped that buck from 200ish yards away because he walked to his stand on crunchy leaves. He never set eyes on that animal and had no idea it was there or he kicked it up... Neither of us say anything after that. When nothing is moving in the woods they can hear you from faaaar away.... Stealth is key... I look at my hunts as tactical strikes as opposed to carpet bombing.. Hunt smarter not harder kind of thing..

But whatever works man... If you're happy with the quality of animals you're seeing and your rate of success then keep doing whatever you're doing. But I would encourage you to keep an open mind. Don't be so sure and set in your ways as to think there's no better way...

I agree with the majority of what you say. I've just called in too many mature bucks and shot them at daybreak, or dar inside and outside of the rut to think otherwise. Mature animals are does as well correct? I've seen big does all sorts of times during the day. Shot them at noon. I've had game cams out since the days when they were film cameras. While 98% of the movement of mature bucks is nocturnal during non rut, 2-5% over the years, depending on property is daylight movement. I have 8 mature bucks on the wall shot from Sept 15 - January 15. One of the biggest January 15 on a private spot in CT with no pressure, shot the deer at 9 am in the morning eating acorns. Patterned that deer, he was on the cam from 8-9 every day. Actually changed my normal setup, because I didn't want to bust him near a bedding area and since he was on food during shooting hours, I set up on it...which is not to normal for me. On that hunt, I was still in my stand before dark, and he had no idea cause the wind was right.

If you can get in there totally quiet and total stealth at first light then that's awesome.
I've done what you've said when I was late to the stands over the years, I stalk the stand...and usually end up bust a deer out from under it. And that is how I set up I believe. As my stands are set up as close as possible to bedding cover to catch deer coming in and coming out at edge of shooting times. I acutally want them to hear me be able to call from the bed.

Obviously your having good results doing what your doing setting up for pressure of hunters and what your doing. I can't argue. Most of the time, I don't have to worry too much about it, on private land, and I set up for movement.

Last edited:
Think what you want but i haven't missed a season since i started back into hunting 13 years ago and i have shot at least one deer every year . Mostly im a meat hunter but the results speak for themselves. 1 - 9 pointer , 3 - 8 pointers , 1 - 7 pointer , 1 - 6 pointer , couple of smaller bucks with spikes and a couple points and only 1 Doe. Scent Lok may not work or i may but if it only reduces scent by a percentage than thats a percentage thats gives you an edge, I also use cover sent on all my outer clothing . Anything that helps.

Deer are moving at sunup back to there beds so i guess they are moving after all .

I will just keep what im doing but don't try to tell me what works and what doesn't becuase it seems to work for me just fine .

I know many hunters that are way better at bagging big bucks than me (I suck at it and admittedly hunt for my freezer and enjoy every minute of it)....... But they play the wind not rely on suits and sprays to block their scent. Guys were bagging big bucks long before the suits and spray manufacturers were out there taking people's money. My uncle was hitting big bucks in the 1980s wearing jeans and a carhaart chore coat lol. He scouted....knew where the big boys were bedded down......and snuck in on em with the wind in his face......he didn't get one every year......but as a kid I remember him stoping by the house to show off a few corkers in the back of his old Ford pickup!

As far as scent lok goes...I don't believe in it at all. Its a gimmick. Most of my clothes have it though, because they were top end clothes with Goretex and Thinsulate, etc.....which I got for like 1/4 the cost at the Cabela bargain basement. I believe in the Gore-tex and Thinsulate keeping me warm and dry way more than the Scent Lok blocking anything.

However, if it absorbs odors, that's good because I leave my clothes in sealable bins with leaves, acorns, and pine and helmock boughs in there and some dirt on the bottom. So the hope is to be clean when I put them on, they will smell like the woods. Obviously they will absorb my odor as well, and after I'm done I will 'recharge" them in the sealable bins again.

But only having the right wind works for sure.

Think what you want but i haven't missed a season since i started back into hunting 13 years ago and i have shot at least one deer every year . Mostly im a meat hunter but the results speak for themselves. 1 - 9 pointer , 3 - 8 pointers , 1 - 7 pointer , 1 - 6 pointer , couple of smaller bucks with spikes and a couple points and only 1 Doe. Scent Lok may not work or i may but if it only reduces scent by a percentage than thats a percentage thats gives you an edge, I also use cover sent on all my outer clothing . Anything that helps.

Deer are moving at sunup back to there beds so i guess they are moving after all .

I will just keep what im doing but don't try to tell me what works and what doesn't becuase it seems to work for me just fine .

Now hold on friend. I never said they weren't moving. These were your words: "i wear scent lock clothing and would rather make all the noise getting to my stand before the deer start moving ." Now I never said deer weren't moving in the AM. I merely corrected your statement. Deer movement isn't starting in the AM - it's finishing up. They've been moving all night long and first thing in the AM hunts aim to catch the tail end of that. Your subsequent post cleared it up I think but originally - that's not what you said.

In the case of mature animals on public land (especially bucks but old does too) they're usually already finished moving by shooting hours and back in bed. Not all but most. After shotgun I would say damn near all.... Private un-pressured animals - probably a very different ball game. IDK in all honestly as all my experience is on public. Where the deer have been exposed to every scent, lure and call on a Walmart shelf and they don't fall for it. That and getting pushed in drives from one end of the woods to another. And where every half effort "hunter" who sits in the same stand all season and doesn't see deer starts throwing money at any gimmick to try to get lucky. Grunting, rattling, primos can call, tinks, scent drags, and scent blocker cloths to the max......

...All said if you're putting them down and you're happy with your results then keep on trucking. One thing that can not be argued is success.

“And where every half effort "hunter" who sits in the same stand all season and doesn't see deer starts throwing money at any gimmick to try to get lucky. Grunting, rattling, primos can call, tinks, scent drags, and scent blocker cloths to the max.......”
——————————————————————————-

So true, I will say though,
A few days before opening day, I do cover my hunting area in a 1/4 mile radius in the dark before sunrise with a good spotlight, to get a count of
all the reflective bread ties the “woodsmen” stick all around their blinds and stands ,

So they can find them without wandering lost all morning.:eek::D

As far as scent lok goes...I don't believe in it at all. Its a gimmick. Most of my clothes have it though, because they were top end clothes with Goretex and Thinsulate, etc.....which I got for like 1/4 the cost at the Cabela bargain basement. I believe in the Gore-tex and Thinsulate keeping me warm and dry way more than the Scent Lok blocking anything.

However, if it absorbs odors, that's good because I leave my clothes in sealable bins with leaves, acorns, and pine and helmock boughs in there and some dirt on the bottom. So the hope is to be clean when I put them on, they will smell like the woods. Obviously they will absorb my odor as well, and after I'm done I will 'recharge" them in the sealable bins again.

But only having the right wind works for sure.
My uncle is long since passed on now but I wish I had picked his brain more as a kid. The only things I remember is "bedded bucks", "enter the woods with the wind in your face" and "be ready when you jump one". It seemed to work for him.

“And where every half effort "hunter" who sits in the same stand all season and doesn't see deer starts throwing money at any gimmick to try to get lucky. Grunting, rattling, primos can call, tinks, scent drags, and scent blocker cloths to the max.......”
——————————————————————————-

So true, I will say though,
A few days before opening day, I do cover my hunting area in a 1/4 mile radius in the dark before sunrise with a good spotlight, to get a count of
all the reflective bread ties the “woodsmen” stick all around their blinds and stands ,

So they can find them without wandering lost all morning.:eek::D

I like it. I do something similar but after the close of the season. I look for tacks, cut trails, boot tracks, scent wicks, permanent (and illegal) stands - you know the kind... Left up for years, screw in steps, etc. (on public land, WMAs) Any kind of hunter sign.. Then using aerials/topos I look to determine where I think that activity will push deer.... and that's where I go scout post season. If boots on the ground confirm what I thought to be true I'll scout out a couple of trees for stands and tag them on the GPS. If I have to remove a limb or branch - now's the time because I'm not coming back until I intend to hunt the spot in the fall. I also walk my intended access and track it on the GPS so I can repeat it in the fall. No tacks, no blazing trails, really no sign left behind I was there. Sometimes I use trail cams on the parameter trails to get an idea of what comes in/out. But I don't like checking trail cams close to hunting spots and honestly - I'm always a bit concerned about leaving them on any part of public as well. They're expensive...

It's a pretty simple strategy really. But it can be hard because sneaking into these spots (often long walks through thick underbrush, swamps, etc) with a stand and sticks on the back can be difficult to do quietly. Its rough on the clothing too. Green briar sucks... But when I started hunting this way my sightings went way up and the quality of animals I see went way up too.

If it were easier - I would probably be doing something else..... Most of us probably would be to.

...........it wasn't all that long ago I myself would hunt long and hard and never see anything. I realized then if you change nothing - then nothing will change. So I gotta do what I gotta do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom