Hunting Question

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 315405

A lot of hunting activities are made easier the more physically fit you are. Not just deer. Walking miles through a marsh wearing chest waders and other gear/gun/ammo for duck season is no joke either. Not quite like dragging a deer but still burns some calories!
Dragging a deer is a piece of cake compared to dragging a bear. I've dragged dozens of deer out over the years, but stopped dragging bear after the 1st one. Never again.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Depending on where you shoot it even with a sled it can really suck.
I bet if you took a survey this is the #1 reason people stop hunting larger animals, especially solo. Older friend of mine would hunt deer (znd perhaps larger animals? i forget) in Canada but he only did it because if he actually caught something the guide buddy he had up there would help him drag it out and deal with a lot of the grunt work...

-Mike

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1997, Pittsburg NH. Sitting on a stand mid afternoon. Heard a few shots, felt it had to be my Brother. Got up and walked until I cut his trail, footprints in but not out. Followed them for a bit until I found him. The buck dressed a 210. Took a few pictures and said we had better get a move on as it was 2:45 PM. Likely over 2 miles drag. We got out with it at 6:10 PM. I was 43 then, he was 36.
At 65 now I doubt I could pull that one off again.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You know, I never actually thought about it until now. Now I'm floored that someone would make the actual effort to drag or haul the godammed head out of the woods just to mount it on a wall on top of the weight of the meat.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not a hunter, but there are a lot of them around here as it is very rural with lots of places to hunt.

Back when I built my house here (late 80's) a coworker told me a really disturbing story about deer hunting here in town. He was hunting with his father who was in his early 70’s at the time. They shot a deer and were dragging it out. Just before they got out of the woods they came across a couple of other hunters. After a short conversation the other hunters leveled their shotguns on my buddy and his dad and announced that they would take it from here.

They robbed them for the deer and nothing else. That was the last time his father ever went hunting.

NHAtHeart

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You know, I never actually thought about it until now. Now I'm floored that someone would make the actual effort to drag or haul the godammed head out of the woods just to mount it on a wall on top of the weight of the meat.
Most people don't quarter out deer to get them out of the woods around here. You'd have a decent amount of work into quartering it out, you need bags to put the meat in and a pack to pack it out. If it's a big enough deer that it would suck to drag (180+lbs) it's likely 2 trips lugging quartered out meat. Even though dragging them whole can suck it's not significantly different workload than skinning them in the woods and packing them out for an animal that size.

And to just cut the head off to drag it out doesn't save you a ton of weight but it would get caught on less stuff in the woods I suppose. I dragged mine out whole this year even though I wasn't going to mount it just because... it's what you do...

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
I am not a hunter, but there are a lot of them around here as it is very rural with lots of places to hunt.

Back when I built my house here (late 80's) a coworker told me a really disturbing story about deer hunting here in town. He was hunting with his father who was in his early 70’s at the time. They shot a deer and were dragging it out. Just before they got out of the woods they came across a couple of other hunters. After a short conversation the other hunters leveled their shotguns on my buddy and his dad and announced that they would take it from here.

They robbed them for the deer and nothing else. That was the last time his father ever went hunting.
They didn’t take their guns? Dumb move.

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ass wipes would have been last seen on a milk carton (just saying).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took me about 6 or 7 hours to drag out the buck I shot 2 years ago. He was north of 200 lbs dressed. So far this year, just a doe that was about 100# dressed. Lot easier drag her around.

If you bang one next week you HAVE to drag them out. All deer have to be checked at a station during the 1st week of shotgun. So can't cut em up. Next week anyway.

smokey-seven

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I quit long drags years ago. I hunt good spots that are close to a 4x4 dirt road. I have not dragged a deer more than 100 yards in many a year.

BigTimber

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
the other bonus, here in new england you do not have to worry about a cougar stalking you the whole way back to your truck!

and you do not have those deep arroyos, where you have to drag it down one side, and back up the other. i am still sore from dragging a quartered elk down and up them a few years ago
Yup, we came across more than one set of large lion tracks. Also nice here not worrying about wolfs or Mr Grizzly taking your deer. Having said that though I’d still deal with those worries all day there over hunting here any day.

Last edited:

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Took me about 6 or 7 hours to drag out the buck I shot 2 years ago. He was north of 200 lbs dressed. So far this year, just a doe that was about 100# dressed. Lot easier drag her around.

If you bang one next week you HAVE to drag them out. All deer have to be checked at a station during the 1st week of shotgun. So can't cut em up. Next week anyway.
Holy shit, 6-7 hours !

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Even gutted, you will learn what the term "Dead Weight" means. Go up into Irving State Forest, up the ridge beyond White Sheds (well, my family calls that place White Sheds, but apparently the sheds have not been there since the 1950's, so it's possible that nobody else calls it that) Anyway, if you bag a deer up on or over that ridge (where they tend to be) you then have to either drag it through Great Swamp or around it in the brambles. OR, you haul it more than a mile out to the cemetery.

If anyone is interested, the family went out to scout in Oct of 2011 and on this trip, the only thing I was shooting was photos, but I managed to record GPS coordinates. If anyone wants to read about old hunting stories this might be for you. A lot of the lore comes from my great grandfather who used to take the train from Watertown to Orange and then hike the 10+ miles up. If they got a deer, they would pretty much butcher it in the woods to make the hike and train back to town. You can read the whole account here: Finding "Pop's Tree"

Oh, and do yourself a favor - find someone that knows what they are doing to go hunting with. You do not want to gut your first deer all alone and clueless. You can end up hauling out a lot of bad meat.

And yes, a proper field dress makes all the difference in how well the meat tastes later.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Holy shit, 6-7 hours !
When you're a solo act, it's tough-going man. Yea it was about 5:00 PM when I shot him, about 15 min before close, and it was after 12:00 AM when I finally got him to the truck. I was pretty far from the truck (about a mile - not super super far, but far enough) and terrain was rough (thick nasty swamp, lots of deadfalls, green briar, maneuvering around choked out, unpassable sections, etc.). About an hour of that was packing up my gear and dressing the animal. The rest was the drag... Having other friends/family that hunted would sure be nice sometimes.... But no such luck for me. Either I do it solo or it doesn't get done.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am newish to deer hunting, and have not gotten one yet. I do remember my father packing to go to Maine when I was a kid, and he always had a decent rope with him. He did not have any sort of sled that I remember. I'm sure he hauled them out of the woods by hand, maybe with a buddy or two. They had a hunting camp of about a dozen guys, so they would usually split up anything, and most likely all would pitch in as well. He would often come home with a deer (and a Christmas tree). He'd gut it in the woods, but it would come home with heart, lungs, brains, and other sweet meats for a friend of his who ate that stuff. It would ride on the trunk of the car (he was a contractor, but trucks were not so common back then), and it would hang in our garage. He didn't keep the hides or heads, but sometimes would cut off the rack with a saw and keep those.

As for me, I have hunted with a relative of my wife's, and I would hope he'd help me haul something out to the road, and I would do the same with him. I've yet to gut a deer or see it happen in person.

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
After seeing trucks parked on the side of the road and knowing they were hunting, I always wondered how they got the deer (if successful) back to the truck if you are on foot.

Say if you are half a mile from your vehicle, what do you do ?

Do you carry a bag or something and dress the deer in the field and put the meat in the bag and leave the carcass behind ?

They look kind of heavy to drag through the brush back to the vehicle.
Buy one of those red toboggan that are about 5-6 ft long and a good rope attached to a chest strap and drag it out. If you are not in the deep woods and can use one of those game carriers those are good. I have both and in the winter the sled is the best

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why you always want a couple of young studs in the group.
Hook em up to the ropes and yell "Haa mule "
If they slow down you poke em with sticks.

Top Bottom