Hunting Question

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
After seeing trucks parked on the side of the road and knowing they were hunting, I always wondered how they got the deer (if successful) back to the truck if you are on foot.

Say if you are half a mile from your vehicle, what do you do ?

Do you carry a bag or something and dress the deer in the field and put the meat in the bag and leave the carcass behind ?

They look kind of heavy to drag through the brush back to the vehicle.

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
After seeing trucks parked on the side of the road and knowing they were hunting, I always wondered how they got the deer (if successful) back to the truck if you are on foot.

Say if you are half a mile from your vehicle, what do you do ?

Do you carry a bag or something and dress the deer in the field and put the meat in the bag and leave the carcass behind ?

They look kind of heavy to drag through the brush back to the vehicle.
They dress it then use a Sled, drag or cart.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I use a cheap plastic Kids sled, the orange thin plastic junk ones. I paint it green and brown, add some eye hooks to it drag it out in the woods where I hunt and leave it in that area. If someone takes it then whatever, I know its been used before by someone else cause it was bloody but they brought it back to the area it was in.
I leave about 20' of para cord tied to it so I can bundle the deer up on the sled.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
chop two long straight branches, and drag it out Indian style. (you need to plan ahead and have some sort of rope or strong twine with you to tie it to the branches).
I actually have a two wheel dolly made for hunting i leave in the car.

Also bring some of that bright orange ribbon in your pack, so you can actually FIND your kill coming back from the car!

Last edited:

JRT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
After my nephew guts it for me I tell him to go get my truck and drive it out into the field. If it’s a big one I may help him get it in the back of the truck.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I’ve spent half a day dragging a big buck out of the Vermont woods. Pull rest pull rest.
The problem with that is your sweating dragging then you take a break and you start to get the chills.
Sounds like a few of my experiences snowmobiling in deep snow. No fun.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve spent half a day dragging a big buck out of the Vermont woods. Pull rest pull rest.
The problem with that is your sweating dragging then you take a break and you start to get the chills.
The older you get , the longer the "Rest" part gets .

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Never taken one, but moose hunters face a challenge.

Old joke:
A man pays a hunting guide to take him moose hunting. While sitting around the fire the guy gets to thinking and asks the guide, " If I had a heart attack out there, how would you get me out of the woods? I weigh 250 lbs and you weigh about 160lbs"
The guide thinks a second and says, "probably the same way I got that 1000lb pound moose out a few weeks ago. Four trips."

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just walk back to my ATV, fire it up, find my deer, tie it to the tow hitch, and go slow and easy. I’ve yanked my fair share out by hand. I have a sling type thing of webbing that makes a manual drag suck less. Haven’t used in years.

45collector

NES Member
Rating - 100%
120   0   0
F9FD2DDC-C53A-44ED-8431-EC25AA44C619.jpeg

A lot of hunting activities are made easier the more physically fit you are. Not just deer. Walking miles through a marsh wearing chest waders and other gear/gun/ammo for duck season is no joke either. Not quite like dragging a deer but still burns some calories!

NHAtHeart

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had 4 hours into getting a moose 200 yards out of the woods before.

2 hours this year getting a 190lb whitetail 1/2 mile out of the woods using a cart.

It's not easy, just work that has to be done.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not bitching about dragging a deer a mile out of the woods around here ever again.View attachment 315271View attachment 315272
the other bonus, here in new england you do not have to worry about a cougar stalking you the whole way back to your truck!

and you do not have those deep arroyos, where you have to drag it down one side, and back up the other. i am still sore from dragging a quartered elk down and up them a few years ago

Last edited:
Top Bottom