• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Noob here - what am I forgetting?

Hoping to chase some deer this fall. Just finished the online portion of the VT basic hunter safety course; scheduled the field day for October. Been watching youtube videos on how to field dress, skin, etc.

This is the list of stuff I'm planning to take with me in the field (in addtion to rifle and ammo):
- Deer tag
- Knife (plus a backup)
- Field sharpener
- Either a bone saw or hatchet (for breaking the pelvic bone)
- game bag
- latex gloves
- basic survival kit (compass, firestarter, sewing kit, first aid kit, etc, etc, etc)
- blaze orange clothing
- some TP (just in case)
- plastic trash bag
- snacks and water
- Otis cleaning kit

What am I forgetting? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Buck.

Maybe scents, calls, flashlight, pen/pencil, elastics/zip ties, paracord/rope.

Good ideas - thanks.

no one reads

Ah, what can you do. [laugh]

I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30 with a Weaver 1-3X on top. I've tried both 150 and 170 grain rounds, and I have to say I definitely prefer 150. It's funny, I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it's really noticeable (in terms of recoil).

Anyway, thanks for the replies everybody.

Buck.

Last edited:
Gotta agree. A weapon will be useful. What are you using for a gun?

Safety course is the easy part. Get some range time in for sighting in. Might want to partner on your first hunt.

RANGEGINDER :D

Good ideas - thanks. I'm planning on hitting the range at least once to sight in my rifle (haven't even shot it in two years [sad2]). I'll be taking my brother-in-law with me, at least for the first time out.

Buck.

- Either a bone saw or hatchet (for breaking the pelvic bone)

Breaking the pelvic bone isn't necessary to field dress a deer.

Also, I've never used a game bag. Dragged 'em out and hung 'em up. You can always wash them once they're hanging.

You will need some rope to drag them. Dragging them out by holding onto their legs sucks if you have any distance to go.

3-quarter.jpg

Breaking the pelvic bone isn't necessary to field dress a deer.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about this. Some of the guys in the videos I watched did it and some didn't. It seems like it made it a little easier to clear out the entrails near the arse-end. I'd be curious to hear more about your experience with this though.

Also, I've never used a game bag. Dragged 'em out and hung 'em up. You can always wash them once they're hanging.

Question about this - does dragging them out wreck the hide at all? I'm really hoping to keep/tan the hide.

You will need some rope to drag them. Dragging them out by holding onto their legs sucks if you have any distance to go.

Do you think paracord will do the trick for this? Or would something a little bigger/thicker be better?

Thanks

Buck.

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about this. Some of the guys in the videos I watched did it and some didn't. It seems like it made it a little easier to clear out the entrails near the arse-end. I'd be curious to hear more about your experience with this though.

This video does a good job of showing it:

Question about this - does dragging them out wreck the hide at all? I'm really hoping to keep/tan the hide.

Depends on how far you're going and what kind of ground you're dragging him over. Never had it been a problem.

If you're hunting on snow, the best thing you could throw in your truck is a plastic sled. Makes dragging easier than you could imagine.

Do you think paracord will do the trick for this? Or would something a little bigger/thicker be better?

Paracord is OK but you need to tie it to a 2-3" branch so you can use the branch for a handhold. Otherwise it will dig into your hands.

I use thicker rope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pulling the trigger is the easy part. Depending on your fitness,the terrain & the size of the animal getting it out of the woods can be a bitch !

Get a deer cart. If snow is on the ground a heavy duty Sled works well.

Ive got a cheapo sled I bought at the local hardware store. Drilled hole along each side to tie deer down.
It's already stashed in the woods near my stands.

Pen.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Don't break the pelvis. Its unnessicary and I have no idea why anyone does that. Bring string or sergical tubing to tie off the ass hole after you cut around it. I would also think about taking a map, a compass, side arm/ammo, waterproof matches and maby sent, if your into that.

another thing I didn't see on your list is a quality pair or binoculars. 7-8 power in my opinion work well, and not a compact pair, get a real pair.

I would also bring a half dozen or so gallon size ziplock bags. I find unending uses for these no matter what I'm hunting. Organs, keeping maps/electronics dry, general organization,.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

head lamp for hiking in/out in the dark
a e-tool or small shovel to bury the guts...
+1 on rangefinder

I've seen guys also field dress and not cut the pelvic bone or breast bone. Although it looks easier if you do I hear it can impact the flavor of the meat and in some cases there are concerns about chronic wasting disease. I have no idea if those points are founded but as I have read some fish/game/natural resources depts in various states recommend not cutting the bone, so there has to be something to it.

another thing I didn't see on your list is a quality pair or binoculars. 7-8 power in my opinion work well, and not a compact pair, get a real pair.

Good call - thanks.

I would also bring a half dozen or so gallon size ziplock bags. I find unending uses for these no matter what I'm hunting. Organs, keeping maps/electronics dry, general organization,.....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think this is a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

head lamp for hiking in/out in the dark
a e-tool or small shovel to bury the guts...
+1 on rangefinder

I've seen guys also field dress and not cut the pelvic bone or breast bone. Although it looks easier if you do I hear it can impact the flavor of the meat and in some cases there are concerns about chronic wasting disease. I have no idea if those points are founded but as I have read some fish/game/natural resources depts in various states recommend not cutting the bone, so there has to be something to it.

Headlamp is a great idea. I also have one of those fold-up garden trowels that I think will work well. Is it considered standard operating procedure (as a courtesy) to bury the entrails?

Interesting point about CWD concerns. Given this, I will reconsider breaking the bone.

Thanks for the pointers.

Buck.

Headlamp is a great idea. I also have one of those fold-up garden trowels that I think will work well. Is it considered standard operating procedure (as a courtesy) to bury the entrails?

Interesting point about CWD concerns. Given this, I will reconsider breaking the bone.

Thanks for the pointers.

Buck.

I would bury them. I consider it proper etiquette. No one likes to find a stinking 40 pound pile of guts laying around. It just makes hunters in general look bad. Either throw them in a trash bag and haul them out, or bury them. Personally I wouldn't nor would recommend anyone leave them. Unless you;re on private land AND have the okay from the land owner.

Depends on how far you're going and what kind of ground you're dragging him over. Never had it been a problem.

If you're hunting on snow, the best thing you could throw in your truck is a plastic sled. Makes dragging easier than you could imagine.

I use one of these roll up sleds:
Deer Sleigh'r Transport Sled : Cabela's

Even in the fall with no snow it is so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom