Hunting Instructor Wanted

Mass Patriot

NES Member
Anyone around who can give an accelerated hunting safety class in southeastern Mass?

I have a son who would go hunting, but his interest is weak, so I'm trying to ease his entrance in the sport.
Rather than the multi-day class, can we do a on-on-one accelerated class? That would help everybody in this.
I'll pay your fee, just want to get him legal.

Last edited:
Anyone around who can give an accelerated hunting safety class in southeastern Mass?

I have a son who would go hunting, but his interest is weak, so I'm trying to ease his entrance in the sport.
Rather than the multi-day class, can we do a on-on-one accelerated class? That would help everybody in this.
I'll pay your fee, just want to get him legal.

Joe
cell 508 685 6424
Do you think a hunter Ed instructor can just give 40 hours of instruction in a couple of hours?

I'm interested in something like this as well for most of the same reasons. My college freshman son just doesn't have the time and barely the interest to sit in a classroom covering a list of things he likely already knows. I'm pretty sure there are online classes available but I haven't found one yet that doesn't require him to jump through an extra hoop.

Do you think a hunter Ed instructor can just give 40 hours of instruction in a couple of hours?
My question is why are 40 hours required? That is serious overkill by any stretch of the imagination.

OP have him take the Texas online class, pass the test and he will have his certificate on how not to be a FUDD and shoot humans.

I literally could give that class in 30 minutes.

I’ve had a license since before the requirement but I was wondering when that went into effect (2007). I then saw this on the Fish and Wildlife website:

Proof is not required. If you buy your license from a license vendor or at a MassWildlife office, you’ll be asked to verbally state (verbal affidavit) whether you held a hunting or sporting license before 2007, or if you’ve ever passed a Basic Hunter Education course.
Important: A verbal or electronic affidavit means that you declare, under penalty of perjury, that you’re eligible for a hunting or sporting license.

My son took the Texas online course and obtained a hunting license it was during the silly lockdown when no one was doing anything in person.
This makes him able to get a Massachusetts license.

My question is why are 40 hours required? That is serious overkill by any stretch of the imagination.

OP have him take the Texas online class, pass the test and he will have his certificate on how not to be a FUDD and shoot humans.

I never said I thought 40 hours was necessary.....it is what it is though. If the op can find an instructor to pencil whip a certificate for his son more power to him....that's pretty much what he's asking for......and good luck to him finding someone to do it.

If you're planning on hunting in MA and your son is under 14 years old... he doesn't need hunter education to start. As long as he's not participating in youth day hunts.

He hunts under your license and your bag limits till he turns 15. Then he needs a hunter ed course, a FID and a junior hunting license.

Youth ages 12-14​

Youth ages 12-14 do not need a license or stamps or firearms license to hunt. They may hunt only when accompanied by a licensed adult hunter 18 or older. Only one minor per adult is permitted. The adult and minor share one firearm/bow, a single bag limit along with any applicable permits/tags.

The adult must have:

• A valid Massachusetts hunting or sporting license
  • Any required state or federal stamps or permits
  • Firearms license if a firearm is being used (issued by local police department).
  • All other hunting laws apply.

Youth Ages 15–17​

Youth ages 15-17 must have a minor hunting license along with any required stamps and permits.

• Minors without a government-issued Basic Hunter Education certificate must be accompanied by a person 18 years of age or older.
  • Minors with a government-issued Basic Hunter Education certificate may legally hunt without adult supervision and must carry their Basic Hunter Education certificate while hunting.
  • Minors hunting with a shotgun or rifle must follow Massachusetts Firearms license laws and must obtain a Firearms Identification Card (FID). An FID is issued by local police departments.
  • All other hunting laws apply.

Resources for parents and guardians of youth hunters​

While minors are not mandated to complete Basic Hunter Education to hunt, it is one option for youth (15-17 years of age) to purchase a hunting license and it is a prerequisite for all minors (12-17 years of age) to participate in some youth programs.

Well it used be we taught some hunting techniques , usage of stands and climbers, shooting techniques etc. calling, use of camo etc. however they neutered the courses over the years so indeed now it’s just basically getting your cert and running out to hunt.

My son is 24 yrs old and has only recently shown any interest in hunting. As a youth he was horrified when I dressed our caught fish for the pan, so I haven't pushed him.
I would teach him myself, but like a lot of kids, he'll pay more attention if a stranger teaches him, and I really want him to learn.
No "Dick Cheney episodes" for us.

It's looking like the Texas online course is the best option, but I'm not keen on online. In person, in hand, is the best way to learn.

My son is 24 yrs old and has only recently shown any interest in hunting. As a youth he was horrified when I dressed our caught fish for the pan, so I haven't pushed him.
I would teach him myself, but like a lot of kids, he'll pay more attention if a stranger teaches him, and I really want him to learn.

It's looking like the Texas online course is the best option, but I'm not keen on online. In person, in hand, is the best way to learn.
I felt like the Texas course left a lot to be desired. But it was a good starting point. It doesn’t teach you anything about hunting the big woods of the north east (obviously).

You could do the online for a timely certificate and you could take the state course at a later date.
I have take the Hunter ED, Map, Compass, and Survival course, and Archery course over the years. They were all good and taught by people that really cared about the sport and helping you learn the ropes.

The Map, Compass and Survival course was fantastic. Anyone who spends much time in the woods should take it. Just the simple knowledge of building a debris shelter would have saved many lives over the years.

The archery course is required for archery hunting licenses in other states (like Connecticut) which have seperate licenses for archery and firearm seasons.

Bob

Hunter Ed Instructors are not the same as NRA (for instance) Instructors.

HE Instructors teach the course on behalf , as unpaid workers for MassWildlife. Only MassWildlife can schedule courses. For instance I cannot just do an HE course at my Club, even if I had a line of students (I'm not a Lead Instructor, anyways), unless MassWildlife sanctions it.

An out-of-state HE course is good for Mass Hunting License issuance, but the out-of-state course will NOT give the student any info on the Mass gun laws and how that interact in some weird ways with hunting regs, or the right-to hunt rules for private land in DPRM, or restrictions on it by local regulation or ordinance. It's also not acceptable for FID/LTC issuance, as a Mass HE course is.

Hunter Ed Instructors are not the same as NRA (for instance) Instructors.

HE Instructors teach the course on behalf , as unpaid workers for MassWildlife. Only MassWildlife can schedule courses. For instance I cannot just do an HE course at my Club, even if I had a line of students (I'm not a Lead Instructor, anyways), unless MassWildlife sanctions it.

An out-of-state HE course is good for Mass Hunting License issuance, but the out-of-state course will NOT give the student any info on the Mass gun laws and how that interact in some weird ways with hunting regs, or the right-to hunt rules for private land in DPRM, or restrictions on it by local regulation or ordinance. It's also not acceptable for FID/LTC issuance, as a Mass HE course is.
Could you hold an un-sanctioned class that would pass your years of experience on to the next generation? Because that would bring value.

Could you hold an un-sanctioned class that would pass your years of experience on to the next generation? Because that would bring value.
Well, I'm not much of a hunter - I focus on the firearm safety components of the course, and spear-carrier administrative level stuff. I will say that part of what I tell students is that if they don't have a family tradition of hunting, join a Club, and let it be known that you're looking for a mentor.

The statist bootlickers who think this is a good thing, “if it saves one life” are our problem. Thank god I grew up in an age that goverment wasn’t as deeply in my underwear as it is now. 😂😂😂

I learned more about hunting in 12 hours, in a glorified tree house, with my Dad and older brother than I would have learned in a class.
Take the Texas course, and if he has interest encourage him to learn more on his own.

The first deer I took strolled out behind our stand and was just 10 yards away. I shouldered my rifle and all I could see was brown! Scope was dialed all the way up to 9x.
I pulled my head back, clearly confused, and my Dad realized what was going on. He silently reached over and dialed it down.
My heart was pounding and I started to sweat when I took the shot. Text book, right behind the shoulder. I couldn't believe it when he turned and ran. He bounded off but only jumped twice and fell over about 15 yards away. I was still shaking and my Dad told me to engage the safety and shoulder my rifle.
I remember thinking how long it took to climb down. Didn't seem that high when we climbed up at dawn.

The courses are important, especially the laws, but there is no substitute for time in the woods with an experienced hunter.

Back
Top Bottom