Hunting in Westboro Wildlife Managment Area

Ae1m

NES Member
Does anyone in the group know about turkey hunting in the Westboro Wildlife Management area?

I'd like to start turkey hunting when the Fall season starts, looking for a good local place.

Thanks,
Bob

Never seen one there but that doesn't mean you can't try it or hunt for them there. You can call the management office in west boylston if you want more information. They manage the property, not the office in westboro- go figure.

Fall turkey hunting is more of a challenge than spring.

I'll be blunt though..........if you want to be successful at hunting turkey.......go scout a week or two before the season. Don't expect other hunters to do the scouting for you man.

Go to westboro wma and look for turkeys and sign of turkeys now. If you go there a couple of times and see nothing......look elsewhere. The process I just described is called hunting. Most of it is done pre season without a gun in your hands.

For example.....shotgun season on deer is over two months away......I was in the woods 5 afternoons this week..........and I've enjoyed every afternoon and looking g forward to going out tonight again. It's part of hunting. If you want to just show up on opening day and expect to harvest something your in the wrong sport.
Don't expect guys to just tell you "there are turkeys HERE"......especially on public lands.........those spots have enough pressure as it is.

So.......go scout it out and see for yourself now. It's all part of it. There is no instant gratification.

Now......In an effort to not sound like I'm blowing you off.....signs to look for are churned up leave areas in v shaped patterns and c shaped white droppings

Good luck.

Hope you find some.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Fall turkey hunting is more of a challenge than spring.

I'll be blunt though..........if you want to be successful at hunting turkey.......go scout a week or two before the season. Don't expect other hunters to do the scouting for you man.

Go to westboro wma and look for turkeys and sign of turkeys now. If you go there a couple of times and see nothing......look elsewhere. The process I just described is called hunting. Most of it is done pre season without a gun in your hands.

For example.....shotgun season on deer is over two months away......I was in the woods 5 afternoons this week..........and I've enjoyed every afternoon and looking g forward to going out tonight again. It's part of hunting. If you want to just show up on opening day and expect to harvest something your in the wrong sport.
Don't expect guys to just tell you "there are turkeys HERE"......especially on public lands.........those spots have enough pressure as it is.

So.......go scout it out and see for yourself now. It's all part of it. There is no instant gratification.

Now......In an effort to not sound like I'm blowing you off.....signs to look for are churned up leave areas in v shaped patterns and c shaped white droppings

Good luck.

Hope you find some.

You find any value in scouting whitetail now? My personal experience is that scouting this time of year is of little value. I find their patters change too much between when the forest is green and food/cover is abundant (now) and shotgun season in December when he forest is barren and food/cover is scarce. My most productive scouting is post season or in season on Sundays when hunting is banned in the commiewealth. I scout new lands or never accessed areas on Sundays in season for hunting the following year(s). I find scouting also pushes deer so hunting land you just scouted is of low odds. I don't scout on the same land I'm hunting. When hunting season rolls in my scouting is done or a run and gun blind based on aerials and topos. In other words at that point I'm hunting terrain features I know deer use as opposed to deer sign discovered during a scouting hike.

Honestly - this time of year I'm fishing and not in the woods much. Too many ticks and other pests and the information just hasn't been of any value when I've done it in the past.

You find any value in scouting whitetail now? My personal experience is that scouting this time of year is of little value. I find their patters change too much between when the forest is green and food/cover is abundant (now) and shotgun season in December when he forest is barren and food/cover is scarce. My most productive scouting is post season or in season on Sundays when hunting is banned in the commiewealth. I scout new lands or never accessed areas on Sundays in season for hunting the following year(s). I find scouting also pushes deer so hunting land you just scouted is of low odds. I don't scout on the same land I'm hunting. When hunting season rolls in my scouting is done or a run and gun blind based on aerials and topos. In other words at that point I'm hunting terrain features I know deer use as opposed to deer sign discovered during a scouting hike.

Honestly - this time of year I'm fishing and not in the woods much. Too many ticks and other pests and the information just hasn't been of any value when I've done it in the past.

I get a day to take my son on 30 September for youth day. That's just around the corner.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not looking for deer and deer sign as much as I'm looking for good spots of habitat. Thick Laurel........water sources with game trails to and from etc....

Thanks for the post. I have been target shooting 50 years, never hunted. Invited to a hunt in deer NH so took the Hunter course in WB and got NH license, looking to expand. Asked around my club a lot, no turkey hunters so I'll be learning on my own.

Fall turkey hunting is very tough in my opinion but maybe I am just a very good turkey hunter.
I have done a lot of hunting in Westboro and the biggest challenge can be the dog walkers, trail runners and mountain bikers.
And the turkeys like to hang in the adjacent residential neighborhoods....

Thanks for the post. I have been target shooting 50 years, never hunted. Invited to a hunt in deer NH so took the Hunter course in WB and got NH license, looking to expand. Asked around my club a lot, no turkey hunters so I'll be learning on my own.

Talk to hunters for sure. Most will offer advice on signs and habitat to look for......but we are not gonna give you our "spots".

Bottom line......get in the woods and scout before the season but don't burn out a spot by scouting too much in one area. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom