hunting in MASS

trigger locks for the guns or lockable case, in the trunk - ammo in separate compartment, lock it of possible to avoid any confusion.

If you are hunting waterfowl or other turkeys, etc. check for special state required stamps.

Believe it or not, if you are hunting turkey, you have to put a little green sticker on your shotgun barrel!

"Hunt Safely"

The sticker goes on the receiver where a thumb safety would go if your gun had one (mine have trigger guard safeties).

It's MA - no need to question why but who might have thought it necessary...

they have a bigger sticker that you have to put on your stock too [thinking]

what are you hunting for?

i know turkey is coming up shortly...

in addition to the sticker, i guess for non-residents, you will need to get a non-resident big game license, which they stab you 99.00 and change for.

Yep, green stickers!

I found some at the field headquarters on Rabbit Hill Rd in Westborough a couple years ago. Looks like you can get them in the mail here too:

http://www.nwtf.org/nwtf_newsroom/press_releases.php?id=11245

I do not know the penalty, but I hear the environmental police actually check for it.

Who knows if they work or not? When I am taking a bead on some game, I usually do not stop to read anything stuck to my gun! On the other hand, people DO get shot during turkey season.

One thing I do know, you are not supposed to wear anything red during turkey season. It looks like a turkey beard.

i wass thinking ahed for fall Phesent but i think i wii stay in NH the land of the free[smile]

All you need for pheasant is a hunting lic, your gun, ammo and gear and an orange hat.
As long as you have your hunting lic you are legal to transport your appropriate hunting guns to and from your destination.

The safety stickers are not a Massachusetts only law. It's required in many states.

In fact, Massachusetts has less safety rules for Turkey hunting than some other states. For instance, in Pennsylvania you must have an orange flag behind where you are hunting.

So don't shoot anybody and don't get shot at while squeaking like a bird.

Been thinking the same thing. Moved here to NH four years ago,one of the few things I miss about Mass is pheasant hunting. The stocked Mass public hunting areas are fun for bird hunting. Doesn't seem to be much here in NH other than hunting clubs for bird hunting, and I always loved a good stroll through High Ridge, Birch Hill, and some of the other public hunting areas. How much is an out of state hunting license? I still have some of my old Mass licenses to prove that I have taken a hunter safety course

Gunner

I've hunted Pheasant in southern NH, just North of Keene. Plenty of birds stocked there in the Fall.

I'm still awed at the fact that even in I have a MASS non-resident LTC-A, a hunting license and all the other documentation, I still can NOT buy something as basic as shotgun shells. It befuddles my simple mind. Yet, if I go to Maine, I can buy a slurpee, cigars, bags of chips, and my favorite caliber for either my shotgun, rifle, or handgun at the local 7-11. My goodness.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom