Hunting boot feedback

OCB

Hey guys,
I need some help from the hunters on NES with a project I have at work. I am an R&D engineer for Wolverine World Wide (Lexington, MA office) and my group has been tasked with developing a general evaluation protocol for the different boot lines that fall under the Wolverine umbrella. We have broken the boots into categories and I am responsible for the hunting/hiking boots. I have done quite a bit of hiking and backpacking, so I am comfortable with the different potential terrains and activities that one might do in a hiking boot. However, I have never been hunting. To help me develop a protocol to evaluate the boots I need to figure out is what sorts of attributes/features people look for in a hunting boot and what kinds of activities are generally performed.
I’ll list some assumptions I’m making and why I make them. For this exercise I’ll only be talking about hunting in North America, and I will even further limit that to the US and Canada:

I can group hunting into two broad types:

1) “Spot and stalk” type hunting where the hunter is pretty much always on the move (walking) looking for game. I guess I normally associate this type of hunting with more mountainous regions, but I can think of places in the US where this could also happen on open ground. To me, the requirements for boots that you would wear doing this type of hunting wouldn’t vary much from boots I would wear backpacking: rugged outsoles, good ankle support, good cushioning, potentially waterproof, more stiffness if I’m going to be carrying heavy loads, etc. Likewise, the activities wouldn’t be too different from backpacking – ascending/descending slopes, moving over varying terrain, potentially crossing streams, etc.

2) Hunting from a tree stand, blind, stationary on the ground etc. where the hunter is either trying to call the game to him (turkey, duck, etc.) or waiting for game to cross his path (deer, etc.). My guess would be that boots wouldn’t need to be quite as rugged, but that would probably depend on the terrain. I figure these boots might also need more insulation if you’re hunting in colder climates/during winter since you will be sitting still for potentially long periods of time. These boots may also need better slip resistance if you’re going to be climbing a ladder to get up into a stand.

For those of you that do use deer stands, how long of a hike to your stand do you usually have? It is completely dictated by the proximity of a road? I’m guessing you wouldn’t want to drive a vehicle too close so as not to scare off any game.

I appreciate any feedback you can give.

For me, they MUST KEEP MY FEET WARM.

My walk to my stands are about a mile of trail and a half mile bushwacking. When I scout for deer, I walk much further. I wear the same boot to hunt as I do when I'm just trekking through the woods looking for sign or sheds.

I've been using the Field and Stream rubber boots with 1,000 gram Thinsulate, and like them. Have kept my feet warm for the most part with a wicking pair of socks, and wool over those.

For a large clunky looking boot, they work fairly well and I can walk miles in them no problem.

Rocky's. I have used them for hunting for years. Get the warmest you can if you are going to sit for long periods of time. I found that the Rocky's boot is fairly light for the amount of comfort you get from them. I forgot the model I have, and they have quite a few but I think it has like 1200 grams of Thinsolite insulation and is a 9" boot.

Edit: ok, ,I was close. Here is the boot., updated to what they make now.

Rocky Men's BearClaw Waterproof Hunting Boots - #9456

Last edited:
The longest I hike into a stand is about 1/2 mile. The boot characteristics I look for are, comfortable footbed with plenty of support, I like a boot that fits like a running shoe...semi stiff around the ankles, boots need to keep my feet dry...my feet sweat a lot and once that happend's and your sitting in the stand for a while you get cold and there goes being comfortable and be able to sit still. They've got to be light weight but warm enough for those colder days...an aggressive tread for traction...waterproof.

Boots for the guy in the tree stand aren't the same boots I need. Being a wing shooter I log countless miles in my shoes, not only do I walk a ways to get to my hunting spots, but I also walk while hunting. My feet need to be dry, but yet be able to breathe, and stay warm. The only thing I know of that stays warm when wet is wool, so I wear wool socks, depending on the temps. The boot would also need a smooth interior, to cut down on friction, so one doesn't have to worry about blisters. An integrated knife sheath/pocket in the boot would be pretty handy as well.

I walk a lot during hunting. If I were to design a boot:

1. Really waterproof
2. light and breathable / non insulated
3. 9" upper
4. lower portion of boot built like hikers
5. Low-med tread (nothing that will track dirt)
6. Flexible bottoms so you can feel a stick under your feet and not break it.

I walk alot deer hunting and upland bird for me some of the things they need to be
breathable
9 to 10 inch upper
waterproof
the tounge has to be webbed all the way up ( hope you know what I mean not sure how to describe)
good laces
Right now I have hunted three seasons with irsh setter boots and love them

I always do tree stands as my walking thru the woods sounds like a herd of elephants so I get in the woods early or stay late. Deep cleats for climbing and well insulated. Weight is not a problem for a stand but deep cleats and light weight when I am scouting become a must which is why I have several pairs depending on what I am doing. Spring turkey is anything lightweight as I usually go to work after I hunt for a couple hrs.

Dave

I wear logger boots uninsulated, waterproof,non steel toe any time I have pants on and sometimes even with shorts. I always wear will socks, usually thin ones but if its real cold I have some arctic weight wool socks. I wear them for work(construction, lots of ladders, concrete floors and grating), hiking, hunting, everything. I like the ankle support and grip in the woods.

Waterproof
Warm

I haven't put too much thought in to it other than that. I normally sit on a stool, and occasionally walk around. Someone mentioned a flexible sole so you can feel twigs, which sounds like a good idea.

I used to always wear a Wolverine "Big Horn", or something very close to that.
Men's Big Horn Insulated GORE-TEX® Waterproof 8" Sport Boot - W03850 - Hunting Boots
I still use them in warmer weather, but got a pair of Red Wing / Irish Setter Grizzly Trackers for colder weather.

One annoying thing I've found with the particular Wolverine boots I have is that the tread pattern (you can see it at the link) collects clumps of snow. Occasionally with those boots I will get big clumps of snow accumulating on the heel which I will need to knock off against a tree or something.

I hunt a lot of marshes and wetlands so I'm usually wearing waterproof slip-on boots that come up to just below the knee. They are well insulated though I don't remember the grams of thinsulate.

If I'm just wearing regular hiking boots, I like them without a tall sole. I have a really nice pair of Danner boots that while they are very comfortable, I tend to roll my ankle quite a bit while walking on stumpy/ rocky terrain. The sole is very rigid too. So my ideal boot would be a somewhat flatter and more "giving" sole. My feet sweat like crazy in the colder months for some reason so I need boots that are breathable.

Your biggest problem is assuming there are only 2 categories.

Early season dove and upland is different from late season waterfowl is different from early bow season, is different from late muzzleloader season is different.....well you get the idea. I have about 6 different pairs "hunting boots". They are all different and serve different purposes.

I buy a bunch of boots and spend a lot of time hunting. The Wolverine Bobwhite is a good boot it's light.

I wear three kinds of boots, marsh hunting knee high rubber boots, winter thick warm boots for stand hunting, and light thin sole stalking.

The hardest for me to get is the thin soled boots that are light and thinned soled. Being able to roll your foot over and And feel sticks allows for very quiet movement.

Keep in mind that when hunters walk through the woods they don't typically stay on trails like a hiker would and they will be moving slower than a hiker so waterproof is a must as is insulation. IMHO the ankle support and stiffness you have in a back packing boot are detrimental to hunting, when stalking or still hunting you want a soft flexible sole so that you can feel the ground beneath your feet. and you need to be able to bend your foot while climbing trees. a cross between the LL Bean Maine Hunting shoe and a Timberland Boot that was sent proof like a Lacrosse Burley would be perfect. It would lace up like the LL Bean, Be made of Rubber for scent free walking and have an aggressive but flexible tread like the lugs on a Timberland

41yLz20TtIL._SY395_.jpg

ll-bean-100th-anniversary-maine-hunting-shoe-gear-patrol.jpg

Timberland%20Mens%20Authentic%206-Inch%20Boot-Wheat%20Brown.JPG

Keep in mind that when hunters walk through the woods they don't typically stay on trails like a hiker would and they will be moving slower than a hiker so waterproof is a must as is insulation. IMHO the ankle support and stiffness you have in a back packing boot are detrimental to hunting, when stalking or still hunting you want a soft flexible sole so that you can feel the ground beneath your feet. and you need to be able to bend your foot while climbing trees. a cross between the LL Bean Maine Hunting shoe and a Timberland Boot that was sent proof like a Lacrosse Burley would be perfect. It would lace up like the LL Bean, Be made of Rubber for scent free walking and have an aggressive but flexible tread like the lugs on a Timberland

41yLz20TtIL._SY395_.jpg

ll-bean-100th-anniversary-maine-hunting-shoe-gear-patrol.jpg

Timberland%20Mens%20Authentic%206-Inch%20Boot-Wheat%20Brown.JPG

This is my opinion as well. I own a pair of muck brand neoprene waterproof boots and wear them for EVERYTHING. IMO it is the perfect all around field boot......I wear them for pheasant, turkey, and will be wearing them for deer season......heck I even wear them ice fishing at -2 degrees up in the north country and are perfect slip on boots to shovel the drive or walk to the mail box!

These are the ones I have owned for two years:
Hoser Classic - 16" All Conditions Muck Work Boot Hi-Cut HSH-000A

I know you say you work for Wolverine........and they should consider making boot like this.....don't believe they do right now.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. It's apparent that the boots I'll be evaluating would only be appropriate for a pretty narrow range of activities, and that my assumptions were basically wrong.[laugh]

I generally run two pairs of boots. I wear uninsulated hikers for the bulk of the season (both stand and still hunting). I have a pair of tall insulated boots that I wear once the snow gets deep and the temp drops (if I'm in a stand). Waterproof is a must, and breathability is very important too in my hikers. All of my stand spots are over a mile in, and I primarily use a climber (I'm usually carrying 30 pounds of gear all in). I look for good ankle support and an aggressive tread pattern in both of my boots, but I like them to be flexible because I walk a lot. Late season I'm looking for something tall, warm, and waterproof. Warm enough so my feet don't freeze sitting in a tree stand, tall enough that I can walk through deep snow without needing gaiters, but still flexible enough to walk a mile or two through uneven terrain while carrying 30+ pounds of awkwardly balanced weight.

Early season I was wearing Columbia Trailmeisters the last couple of seasons. They were super comfortable, but they weren't waterproof, and they started coming apart at the seems (I tend to lace my boots up very tightly).

Men's Columbia Trailmeister Khaki Tierra Shoes.com

I bought a pair of Timberland Flumes this year. I've only used them for a few scouting trips so far, but they seem to be good so far. I wound up checking these out on the recommendation of somebody on here.

Men's Timberland Flume Dark Brown Shoes.com

My late season/stand/tons of snow boots are Columbia Bugaboot Plus XTM's. Truth be told, I'm not crazy about these. I like them as winter boots, I'm just not too excited about them as hunting boots (particularly tree stand boots). I don't know why, but even with 600 grams of thinsulate, my feet wind up getting cold after an hour in a tree on a cold day even though I almost never get cold. Also, I have already had to send my first pair back for an eyelet that came out of the boot when I was lacing them up for the third or fourth time. It's apparently a known issue with these, especially if you're somebody who likes to lace their boots up really tight. Columbia swapped them out without issue, but I wound up wearing them as is for the season because I didn't want to be without boots while they were fixing/swapping them. Got my new ones now and I'm going to be a little more careful with these.

Columbia Bugaboot Plus XTM Boot - Men's | Backcountry.com

i do mostly stalk hunting. must haves for boots are

waterproof/gortex

slip resistant (i wear almost exclusively danner pronghorn classics or tfx desert boots, my only issue with them is if you are walking down a slope they will come out from under you in wet locations.)

lightweight ( this is why i love the danners, they feel like sneakers)

insulation as an option

long laces (i like to wrap my laces around the back of my boots on the last lacehook for extra support)

a pull loop on the back of the boot is nice to have, sometimes i will tie what is known as a "drag rag" on the back of my boot to put down a scent trail, the pull loops make for a nice spot to tie this on to and they help getting the taller boots on

camouflage/dark colors

good luck it would be nice to see wolverine come out with some nice boots.

For early-Mid season I wear 9" Irish Setter 600 gram Trail Phantom boots. They are light weight and extremely comfortable.
225140m2_ts.jpg

As it gets colder and snow falls later in the season, I will switch to my Cabelas 15" 800 Gram Pinnacle Boot if need be.
s7_813620_530_01

Last edited:
Your biggest problem is assuming there are only 2 categories.

Early season dove and upland is different from late season waterfowl is different from early bow season, is different from late muzzleloader season is different.....well you get the idea. I have about 6 different pairs "hunting boots". They are all different and serve different purposes.

^ This. Most times I like a 5" light hiker type of boot or 5.11 ATAC 8" boots. Deer season in a treestand I'm in Columbia Bugaboots. Are you looking at Basspro and Cabela's best sellers list for comparison and inspiration purposes?

My next pair will be 13" or taller "snake boots" as I find myself in a lot of swampy areas.

I like side-zip so long as you can actually get my feet in without having to un-tie, and they stay dry.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom