• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting 2009 - No Game, Just Pics.

Well, the first week of open firearms season has come and gone. I always have the whole week off, and usually bag my whitetail. But this year I'll have to wait at least a bit longer.

It was a tale of two Maine's between the high elevations of the Western Mountains and the Central Foothills. Two harsh winters in a row took a tremendous toll on the mountain deer herd. My guestimate would be in the neighborhood of 90% winter kill above the 2000 foot elevation. My cousin and I traveled some great distances to see only one lonely doe and a sporadic old track in the mud and leaves, a marked detraction from the years of mild winters of the past couple of decades.

In contrast, the deer population has seemed to remain stable only thirty miles to the south. Plenty of them were chased, but none of them presented a good shot.

All was not lost, as we had a full week in the woods, tremendous weather and spectacular scenery. Here are a few pics of the wild country of East Madrid, Maine.

hunting_2009_002.jpg

hunting_2009_005.jpg

hunting_2009_008.jpg

hunting_2009_010.jpg

hunting_2009_013.jpg

hunting_2009_014.jpg

hunting_2009_017.jpg

hunting_2009_026.jpg

csc_0066_1_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

The dog track is from a "non-existant" species in Maine according to the wildlife management department. It's pretty solid evidence to me that the Eastern Gray Wolf is making a comeback. The reference cartridge is a 44mag. A coyote track is only a bit longer than the shell.

The brook trout were spawning like crazy. The pic is the best I could manage out of a school of about 200 trout in a large pool in a stream. Sizes ranged from about 8-14" in length, and it was an absolute treat to witness.

Thanks guys.

The dog track is from a "non-existant" species in Maine according to the wildlife management department. It's pretty solid evidence to me that the Eastern Gray Wolf is making a comeback. The reference cartridge is a 44mag. A coyote track is only a bit longer than the shell.

The brook trout were spawning like crazy. The pic is the best I could manage out of a school of about 200 trout in a large pool in a stream. Sizes ranged from about 8-14" in length, and it was an absolute treat to witness.

Recently (around this time last year) an Eastern Gray Wolf was shot by a farmer in western Massachusetts. There is a lot of speculation that they are making a comeback.

Back
Top Bottom